• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Handicaps and fishing

Big Dave2

I am just curious as to if there are any members here who are handicapped or know someone who is and likes to fish?

If so, what are the biggest challenges that you find to being able to enjoy fishing? What would make it easier for you? If you could invent a product that would help people with disabilities be better able to enjoy the outdoors, what would it be?

I work with a guy that has CP and uses a wheelchair. He has very little control of his legs and cannot walk. He loves to fish. Problem is that most of the landings in northern Minnesota are not accessible. In order for him to get in a boat he has to lifted. There is no way that one person can lift him from the chair and into a boat. When I take him fishing I have to make sure that I have 2 or 3 other guys go along to lift him from the chair and into the front of the boat. If there is a dock at the landing then things are eaiser and he can roll out of the chair in into the boat. Sounds kind of bad, but he says you walk on a dock and I crawl you do what you gotta do. Anyway I think it would be great if there were an ADA for fishing ramps. Maybe not all public landings, but the DNR could do at least 10%. That way he wouldn't be restricted to just a few lakes.

Like Down Deep said, the getting in and out of the boat is the chalange. My son (22) is in a wheel chair and loves to fish. We need at least one other guy and myself to get him in the boat even with a dock. I can't think of an easier way to do it.

i m hearing impaired. i dont have any problem with fishing but if the torando warning gone off or thunderstorm in distance i cldnt hear it when i m out on water...as for wheelchair i think popular lake shld have accessible for wheelchair such as mille lacsz, wbl, chisago lake area, minnetonka, and more....

I agree that accessibility is likely the biggest challenge, especially for people who are bound to a wheelchair.

As for products that could help to overcome this; my grandfather had an electric lift gate that lifted/ lowered him in and out of his van. I would imagine that this could be adapted for use in a boat. It could be sold in a kit with a wheelchair that is narrower and has a lower center of gravity for use in a boat… don’t forget the drink/ rod holders. Or perhaps somthing as simple as a pedistal seat (aren't most of these pretty universal?) that is bigger, like an actual chair with arm rests, perhaps a harness and again, don't forget the drink/ rod holders.

I think I just gave away my millon dollar idea.

ole matty, I’m probably not telling you anything new but I used to have a pager that, among other things, received signals from the national weather service. When there was a warning or potential for bad weather, it would vibrate and the weather report would scroll across the screen similar to what you would see on TV. The service was les than ten clams per month.

My brother is a dwarf. For him the issue is length, reach and flexiablity. His handicap makes it difficult to cast any longer distances or cast over a longer period of time.

His type of dwarfism limits his fingers ability to be flexable.

He is OK while fishing for 'eyes because he will use a 9ft rod and we can slow troll rigs. But his hooks sets and fighting can get weary.

I would love to be able to create a rod and real that are push button controlled, so he could go bass fishing with me.

I am thinking the set-up would have a button he could push that would be able to "fire" the lure out and then another button he could push that would retrieve the lure, say and different speeds (slow, med, fast). It would have to be a very mechanical rod and reel and pretty expensive if it were to be made.

JBon, there is something like that, a button controlled rod/reel that "shoots" the lure out. Darn, I wish I could remember where I saw it, but my Grandson was talking about. If you ask around, I know you will find it. Maybe at Gander?

I just had shoulder surgery, and this magical pole jbon was talking about would have gotten me out fishing sooner, I know my handicap was very temporary, but I thought about it when my shoulder was imobilized for a month. There has to be a real out there that you could push a button and have it real it in for you, with a drag system of course! Now it wouldnt have been financially feesable in my case Im sure but, I thought about it, and Im sure people with permanent arm problems it would be nice!

Hey you guys- I am a engineering student and i know there is/was a design competition for this exact issue. I have heard about it, but never got involved. Here is a link to an article:

http://www.asme.org/NewsPublicPolicy/PressReleases/Fishing.cfm

This is a great idea, i hope it makes it way to market to help out people that need the assistance. also, if you search "fishing" on this site, you can see that research is being done on numerous fishing related things, ie rods, nets, ships.

HI IAM HEARING IMPAIRED, AND MY UNCLE WHO I TAKE OUT IS LEGALLY BLIND. FOR ME ITS HARD TO HEAR OTHER BOATS WHEN I'M TROLLING I HAVE HAD A FEW BOATS TROLL BY AND SCARE ME OUT OF MY PANTS. I REALIZE I SHOULD BE WATCHING BUT WHEN YOU CANT HEAR ITS A BUMMER. FOR MY UNCLE THE BIGGEST THING IS FISHING REELS THE OPEN FACE HE CANT SEE WHEN THE LINE LOOPS AROUND THE REEL HE TRIES TO CAST BUT IT MAKES A MESS. I HAVE TRIED PUSH BUTTON REELS THEY WORK GOOD HOWEVER WE MOSTLY PAN FISH HARD TO FIND ONE THAT WORKS WITH 4# TEST WITH A RELAIBLE DRAG IF ANY ONE HAS A SUGGESTIONS ON A REEL IT WOULD BE GREAT. JUST REMEMBER TO TAKE SOMEONE FISHING WHO MAY HAVE A HANDICAP I CANT TELL YOU HOW MUCH FUN AND REWARDING IT CAN BE. MY UNCLE SAYS HE LOOKS FORWARD TO IT ALL WEEK. THIS SUMMER IM TAKING MY UNCLE AND HIS BLIND FRIEND FISHING. IT SHOULD BE FUN 2 BLIND GUYS AND ONE DEAF GUY HA HA NOT TO BE MEAN BUT WE CANT WAIT TO GO WE NEVER TAKE ARE SHORT COMINGS SERIOUSLY.

my son is autistic and has CP...he goes with me a lot. he really doesn't have any interest in fishing, but LOVES the boat! just last Wed night i asked him if he wants to go for a ride (...that means a boat ride), he grabbed my hand and started pulling me to the garage (...where the boat is.) he really likes hitting the waves when we go fast. he also likes to throw his crackers in the water. he usually makes lots of noises, so we try and fish away from others - but it really warms my heart when i see his face light up when we're out there. maybe someday he'll take an interest in grabbing the pole and catching a fish.

i agree about the access points - not too disabled user friendly...but he's still a small guy yet, so it is that big of an issue - i would never take boat rides away from him.

WOW! I can't believe I got this many responses about this.

Thanks for all of the help. I work for a company that specializes in developing products for disabled people. The owner is a parapalegic himself. It got me thinking about disabled people enjoying the outdoors and the possibility of us being able to help someone out with that. I would love to be involved in developing a product that would make it easier for someone to be able to enjoy what I am fortunate enough to be able to enjoy. So I am doing a little research and all of your comments are greatly appreciated. If anyone has any other research ideas for me, please let me know.

Thanks

Quote:

JBon, there is something like that, a button controlled rod/reel that "shoots" the lure out. Darn, I wish I could remember where I saw it, but my Grandson was talking about. If you ask around, I know you will find it. Maybe at Gander?

Thanks for the idea, I will look around and see if I can track something down.

I just got back from the lake (working on docs and stuff for our association for doc-in next weekend) so I just got a chance to respond.

If anyone else has heard of a type of mechanical fire and retrieve rod and reel let me know.

For those of you who have handicaps, there is a group called Capable Partners. They pair a handicapped person with a able bodies for many events both fishing and hunting. I have a friend and a patient who has been active in this group for years and it is a great group. They have special events year around. They also could give you some great input into what they require.

Kendall W. Goodian D.C.

Another hearing impaired one here.....I love to fish and hunt and my parents taught me so at an early age despite my handicap. Its not much of a problem fishing. The only complaint I have is the 2 stroke roaring in my ear on longer runs and the ringing that follows or at least that was with my johnson outboard. Hunting is a little different. Even on dead quiet days I have a hard time hearing things. I just crank up the volume on my hearing aids in the woods and it seems like I can hear an ant fart! grin.gif Thats just an exageration lol, but seriously I have shot and seen quite a few deer before I hear them or never heard them at all. I love hunting crunchy leaves or snow though cuz then even the smallest crtters make a noise I can hear grin.gif

I think that I saw a product like that advertised on Roland Martin's show. You may want to check his website.

Quote:

my son is autistic and has CP...he goes with me a lot. he really doesn't have any interest in fishing, but LOVES the boat! just last Wed night i asked him if he wants to go for a ride (...that means a boat ride), he grabbed my hand and started pulling me to the garage (...where the boat is.) he really likes hitting the waves when we go fast. he also likes to throw his crackers in the water. he usually makes lots of noises, so we try and fish away from others - but it really warms my heart when i see his face light up when we're out there. maybe someday he'll take an interest in grabbing the pole and catching a fish.

i agree about the access points - not too disabled user friendly...but he's still a small guy yet, so it is that big of an issue - i would never take boat rides away from him.

My middle son is also autistic. He loves both the boat rides AND the fishing. He won't hold a rod for very long, but will show up front and center if there is a fish to reel in. When he was younger, he sometimes got upset if he didn't get to reel in a fish. All three of my boys fish with me all the time and I would not deny him the trip just because of his disability. He is mobile so access at landings are not a problem. One of the challenges I faced was, well, autistic kids have no concept of rules. I got better at catching this after a few times but he would get out of the boat when we got to dock and run to the end of the dock and pee!! That was ok when nobody was around but a few times there would be a line of boats waiting to land. Now I watch him carefully and he is getting better. Otherwise, he is good behavior wise in boats. I took all my boys, including him, on a Charter Fishing trip and he loved it and the captain was accommodating with his disability. This summer, I might do a Canada trip with all three before my oldest gets shipped out to boot camp

Quote:

Quote:

My middle son is also autistic. He loves both the boat rides AND the fishing. He won't hold a rod for very long, but will show up front and center if there is a fish to reel in. When he was younger, he sometimes got upset if he didn't get to reel in a fish. All three of my boys fish with me all the time and I would not deny him the trip just because of his disability. He is mobile so access at landings are not a problem. One of the challenges I faced was, well, autistic kids have no concept of rules. I got better at catching this after a few times but he would get out of the boat when we got to dock and run to the end of the dock and pee!! That was ok when nobody was around but a few times there would be a line of boats waiting to land. Now I watch him carefully and he is getting better. Otherwise, he is good behavior wise in boats. I took all my boys, including him, on a Charter Fishing trip and he loved it and the captain was accommodating with his disability. This summer, I might do a Canada trip with all three before my oldest gets shipped out to boot camp

i just read your post to my wife, and i think both of us just pee'd our pants laughing! my son does things like that too, but not in the boat...yet. (priceless, i can imagine my son doing that, hey..just for giggles maybe your son should teach my son how to do that - just kidding!) we have to have a sense of humor raising these special children. i'm glad to hear your son likes to reel in fish - it gives us something to look forward to. i took my daughter out tonight, and we caught fish for a change. a couple of nice size crappies, a half a dozen sunny's, and that one lonely but hungry bass bit my minnow...after quickly releasing the bass in the water, i thought my daughter would come home to tell mom we caught fish and she had a great time. nope, her highlight of the night was using the pee cup in the boat for the first time because her daddy (me) wouldn't leave. now, my daughter isn't autistic, but that's funny too!

grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i just read your post to my wife, and i think both of us just pee'd our pants laughing! my son does things like that too, but not in the boat...yet. (priceless, i can imagine my son doing that, hey..just for giggles maybe your son should teach my son how to do that - just kidding!) we have to have a sense of humor raising these special children. i'm glad to hear your son likes to reel in fish - it gives us something to look forward to. i took my daughter out tonight, and we caught fish for a change. a couple of nice size crappies, a half a dozen sunny's, and that one lonely but hungry bass bit my minnow...after quickly releasing the bass in the water, i thought my daughter would come home to tell mom we caught fish and she had a great time. nope, her highlight of the night was using the pee cup in the boat for the first time because her daddy (me) wouldn't leave. now, my daughter isn't autistic, but that's funny too!

grin.gif

Yeah, thats funny! Kids like to go potty in unusual places. I swear my 6 yr old would hold it all day just so he could poop in a bucket when we would go out to the fish house this winter. It would be one of the first things he would want to do.

I kept an article from a NAFC magazine from a few years back about a guy who lost the use of his left arm after a motorcycle accident. He went on to invent an Electric Fishing Set .

He linked a "...flexible drive cable from a weed whip to an electric screwdriver and spincasting reel. The setup allowed Dobbins to cast and retrieve with one arm...."

The inventors name is Andre Dobbins, and at the time the article listed his standard rate as $85+shipping, but he offered a %10 discount to disabled veterans and groups that work with the handicapped.

I googled him and found the patent information, but that was about it (I admit I didn't try too hard).

At the time of the articles publication (3-4 years ago) the number that was listed for him was in Indiana: 812-685-2583.