• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Maps

Mike Patenaude

I hate to have to ask this because I know it was discussed last year in depth, but at the time I didn't have a GPS so I didn't pay much attention. My question is what brand of digital map is going to be the best and most up to date for LOW. I recall last years conversations saying that one of the companys had just mapped out the lake and were selling a new updated version, but I don't recall which one it was, if it was Lakemaster or Navionics. Any info would be very much appreciated.

I sell the new Lakemaster card and Now I have the new Navionics for Lake Of The Woods , I am going to have to say the new Navionics one Rocks. Steve @ Log Cabin Bait

bait

Steve: Is that Navionics specific to LOW or is that what they consider the "Enhanced Northern Region"? Thanks for your input.

It is specific to Lake of The Woods, more detailed and more spots the other one missed.

I just purchased the new Navionics LOTW 2k+ chip, it has the previously unreleased survey of LOTW in 1' contours on the US side (a little on the Ont side also), existing Ont. side of LOTW, and also all MN lakes from Mille lacs north (inludes both sides of Rainy and all of Lake Superior) and all ND lakes, and a select # of Ontario lake maps. I was playing with the chip in my GlobalMap 5300 last night in the garage and the detail on the new Kabetogama high def 1' map is unreal. Plus, it allowed my to "overzoom" down to 1/63 nm which equates to a zoom of just under .02 mile!

Hoping to have it out on Superior thursday for a trial run.

A question about the new Navionics chip-- I have the old one and I'm generally happy with it. If I were to get the new one, if I understand right, I'd get a nice upgrade on the MN side, but the info on the Canadian side would be exactly the same as what I already have, correct?

Yup....you would get a little bit of high def ontario water along the border. I havn't looked at the LOTW map yet, will try to tonight and see how much is covered in the 1' contours.

I was checking out that map on my h20 and the Navionics goes all the way to Birchdale which is pretty cool since there is no good paper map of the Rainy and it helps alot for people that dont know the River, just have to watch out for deadheads and pilings and rock piles, as for the Lake on there it looks pretty good detail from what I noticed. can't wait to be on the water to see the accuracy of it. Just got to remember this was made when the River and Lake was about 2 1/2 ft low. and Now the Lake and River are close to over 3ft low now.

Well I almost forgot and put in an unauthorized link. So basically Steve and some other people are thinking that the Navionics NEW 'LAKE OF THE WOODS+2K' EDITION is actually a little bit better than the Lakemaster chip.

The key for me is that I think in a couple of years I will buy a Hummingbird with the side imaging. If I get the Navionics chip it will work in a Hummingbird or a Lowrance. If I get a Lakemaster chip it will only work in a Lowrance.

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Explorer, tell me about the Kabetogama map. Does it also include Namakin and the other lakes in VNP? How detailed are they?

WIWF,

The Kab map is great, 1' contours, by far the best map now available for Kab. Nam, Sandpoint, and Crane are basically the same ones that you can see on the DNR lakefinder website, and they have 5' contours.

The Rainy map will be essentially the same as looking at the nautical charts on both the US and Ont sides. I'll have to look for sure, but I imagine there are spot soundings like on the nav charts and not coutour lines.

I am hoping to get up to Kab over memorial weekend to try it out on the water for accuracy. With all these (reservoir type bodies of water) maps you should try to what time of year the mapping took place and the water level, since levels will fluctuate greatly from year to year and spring to fall each year.

I bought a humminbird 797 and have the lakemaster for LOW which doesn't do me any good...should have waited a year or two and maybe Humminbird would be compatable with lakemaster, oh well. I think i'm going to sell the lakemaster and get the new navionics...anyone interested in the LOW chip? I'll check around with my family and see if anyone is interested, otherwise i'll sell it for a pretty good price.

Sold my old chip on eBay. You could also try craigslist