Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish On! Guide Service

88 hp Johnson SPL impeller help

5 posts in this topic

I'm working on replacing the impeller on an 88hp johnson v-4. I have all the bolts off the lower unit but I cannot figure out what's holding the shift shaft on. Is the shaft held on by a screw or bolt? If so, WHERE? I can see a screw under the bottom carb, is this it? Please help! Any photos for reference?

Thanks in advance,

FOGS

I'm at work so I don't have my repair manual in front of me, but if I remember right it is under the carbs, where the shift shaft attaches up top. I'm also pretty sure it was held on by a c-clip? We needed a long needle nose pliers and a lot of patience. The 70hp Evinrude I did was kind of a pain to get attached again after the work was done, but other than that was a pretty easy fix. Again not positive, your's might be different, just saying that's where it was on my 70hp motor. I haven't changed the one on my 90hp outboard yet.

If you don't get any other replies I'll check my shop manual and get back to you as soon as I can.

Ctmanlee is correct, there is a screw righ under lower carb, it holds a clamp that secures the shift rod.

It's easy to remove, and a PAIN to re install....

Can't you pull off the air box and remove the carb from the intake to make access easier?

Thanks guys! Got er' done! An R-clip on the linkage had to be pulled which allowed the linkage to slide over enough to get the shaft off. Piece of cake once you know what yer doing. Very much appreciated!

Stephen