• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Downriggers on Skeeter WX1880?

Just purchased this boat and can't figure out how to mount a rigger on the passenger side. No room due to two gas caps, pop up cleat, hand rail..any ideas? f_boatm_c08329a.jpg

From the pic all I can see ya could do is get rid of the cleat and put a track system in on both sides.

I have seen on some Rangers that they have a spot for riggers in the splashwell on both sides. I think it has a cap on them. Maybe some of the ranger guys will pipe in. I dont know if Skeeter offers any such option.

Jerkin'm-

I ran into the same problem. I run a 1775 Skeeter. I spoke with a Skeeter rep and all he said was that he recommended not drilling any holes in the the fiberglass? So, for the time being, I'm using the poor mans down rigger, 1 lb balls. Is your rig a tiller?

No, it's a console steering model....The only other thing I see out there is the type that clamp on the hand rail...

I wouldnt mount a downrigger on a hand rail! 8-10# balls put a lot of tork on a rail and if you ever hang up say good bye to that rail.

That's what I thought too...seems everyone makes a rail mount though...they do recommend beefing up the backing on the rails. Any other thoughts?

I kind of had the same issue with my tracker! I mounted mine on the wooden platform atop the transom. Worked great so far. Bracket on top, and underneath. If ya want, i can take pics. It looks like yours has a lid right there....if it is a locking lid, and you don't need to access it while 'rigging, it may work. (as long as it locks)....

I would like to take a look at your set-up if you want to post the pics...I'm not too crazy about the idea of drilling holes anywhere right now but need some sort of a plan...(tough to drill into that shiny new boat finish grin.gif) I may end up having to mount some sort of board or something that runs the whole width of the boat that can be easily removed, closest thing to a plan so far anyway...

I would mount a ram mount in each corner of the Back of your boat. Then mount the pursuit tracking to the ram mount and when you take it off all you will have is two round balls is each corner when you take if off to fish inland lakes. Go with the two inch ram mount this would work great on your boat.

Skippers Kid-That's the best idea yet...I did some searching though and couldn't find any info on the ram mount system you mention. Where can I buy this setup?

I just dont think you will have the room for it and you would probably need to ram mounts per side. I wouldnt trust those mounts either. Thats a ton of torque on those 2"balls and sooner or later they would strip out. I dont trust anything thats not bolted down.

Why yah gotta keep crushing my buzz Northlander? grin.gif I need some sort of set up....Maybe a carpeted 2x 10 across the whole boat? I should be able to figure out a way to secure it...Go ahead and kill this idea too... grin.gif

Now your talking man. It wont be pretty but will do the job. Paul W. had some pictures of his old boat and he did the same type thing.

The 2 inch will hold a lot ask russ at MG. This is the way I would go if it was my ride well I have one more for ya. Mount pursuit track in each corner 6 inch track then figure out how high you need to get above the boat and russ has the aluminum brackets 4 inch to 10 10-inch in stock. Put them in the corners to get the right hight then put the track in and start mounting your gear this is a better way to do this in your boat. I would see russ with your Boat and he can help as well good luck cool.gif.

I have the same boat and had a welding shop on Grand make me two brackets that bolt thru the fiberglass on the inside with oak backer boards. I used 1/4" aluminum and the bracket goes over the hand rail. I had the shop weld gussets inside the corner. I was going to use J or U bolts from the bracket to the hand rail but didn't need them. I've trolled 10 and 12 cannon balls with no problem. My travel cover also fit over this installation. The custom brackets were far cheaper than a pursuit system and I have full use of the back seats, live well and bait well. I talked to an engineer at Skeeter and he agreed with the backer board there would be no problem. (The secret to mounting the starboard bracket was to use stainless "T" nuts and epoxy the board to the inside - that helps with stress distribution also. Hope this helps.

MasterClear do you have any pics of your setup? It sounds interesting but not sure I want a big bracket sticking up permanently over the hand rail...Man, the ideas are rolling in now....thanks guys..

Sorry I can't find a picture that shows the installation. The brackets don't intrude into the boat and make a very sanitary (to me at least) addition. I use Cannon big body manual downriggers mounted on low profile swivel bases. My goal with the installation was to provide a solid mount for the downriggers with the least amount of intrusion into the boat. I wanted full access to the rear seating, live and bait wells. And, at the cheapest possible price.

MasterClear-Since you said you had them done on Grand I assume you are in the cities somewhere? If so maybe I could take a peek in person. I live near Lake Minnetonka and would like to look if it's possible...thanks for the help...I also would like a very sanitary, unobtrusive install if it's going to be a fixed mount...I have a couple older Cannon manuals as well...For the number of times I would actually use them it would be nice to have something that looked decent.

Grand Avenue in Duluth did the brackets. My boat is still in storage but as soon as I get it out I'll picture it for you. Give me you email or phone number and I'll be glad to give you more details that way...

• 3 weeks later...

I am new here, but let me know how it works for you. I was looking at the same boat, I would like to get your opinion on it and any recommendations from you if you would do it again. I would use it anywhere from my cabin on Island Lake near Duluth, to Rainy and Lake Superior on calm days.

Love the boat, just got done cleaning a few eyes in fact...Had it out on the big bays of Minnetonka with a 25+ mph wind and it fished great. I have the single console model for more room and would do it again. I opted for the 150 Yamaha 4 Stroke. The other option would have been the 200 HPDI and a kicker. For me it seemed unneccessary as I rarely would use a kicker and the 200 only gets about 5-6 mph top end gain. I can run about 50mph with a light load and about 46mph fully loaded. I put the 80# Minnkota Max Pro up front and it seems to be plenty of power. As for the riggers.......long pause...............My boat came with the add-on muskie length livewell that extends the back deck width. I plan on reinforcing the ends of this and bolting Berts track systems to that. I couldn't find a better way (in my opinion) to get them mounted up on the gunwales..