Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keyks42

? for J.P.

10 posts in this topic

Jon

going up the first week of June and would like to spend some time fishing for Northerns. What type of baits do you use? does trolling work? Also wanted to thank you for the Otter I bought from you last year it worked great this winter.

Mark

I was wishing i still had that Otter when I was geting tipped on my head in the little Clam.

I would suggest trolling, then try some trolling and if that doesn't work try trolling. Upper red lake pike are nomads, you need to bring the bait to them, rig up a few shads and run around looking for miss fatty...or hire a good URL guide. wink.gif

Hey Jon, when you talk about shads, it got me thinking, are you talking Rapala Super Shads, or do they run too deep. We've had some success on big gators and muskies on them in the past.

You can't go to deep on Red, plowing = pictures. wink.gif

Thanks for the heads-up wink.gif

I'll keep it between us...

I was just eyeing up some bright clown/perch and flashy gold super shad raps at Reed's today. I'm try to squeeze another twenty buck into the already too full boxes I suppose...

I'm sure you've used some planer boards on Red, Jon. Do you like them and if yes, which ones are capable of handling the larger baits best?

The only ones I have got to work with the big baits are my "hand crafted" ones. Dual boards 32"long and 9" tall pulled of a mast system. The inline ones are cute and work great for a #2 Shad Rap at 1.5mph, beyond that they become a dolphin. I made some that will pull big 12" jakes at 7 mph in any weather.

Thats what I thought would happen. My buddy with the 20 ft Triton might be interested in the mast system. I've heard him mention it before. He does a ton of LOW walleyes and muskie fishing. If your are ever interested in making another, or showing me what you like about yours, let me know. jgorr at tds (Contact Us Please) net

gorrilla,

I have a Canon Mast planer and all the releases. I just don't use it much as I'm too lazy to crawl up in the rafters to find it amongst my mess! Only a couple days left until my 4 month vacation.

later,

toddb

todd, I almost gave up on you, I thought you must be growing a third eye or extra appendage with all the time you've spent around radioactive material lately.

Give me a holler, I have to travel for work the next three days and I'm going to a meeting just on the NW side of TRF this week.

Just three days until my 12 month vacation too.

gorrilla,

12 month vacation- sounds like your going to jail! Did all those speeding tickets finally catch up with you? I'll be home Thursday or Friday, give me a call.

later,

toddb