• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question about the St. Louis River.

The last 3 to 4 years the river has been kicking my butt. No more big fish numbers as in previous years. Now it seems like all I catch is 8 to 10 fish per trip (9:00am-dark). If I remember right, the reports for the river the last few years have not been that great either. Anybody else having the same problem??? Also, what effect does the tide have on fishing. How close are the marker buoys to the spot they were in the previous year?

1st off the river last year was a whole different ball game, at least the 1st 3-4 weeks then it pretty much cleared up and evened out. Fishing was very good in June and part of July. If your getting 9-10 fish a day your doing better than most. Early in the year big numbers are possible but if your into July/August and you can get 10 decent eyes in a day your doing ok. Not great but ok.

As far as buoys they are never right on as you find on your GPS. Some years are closer than others. I would say a good guess would be within 10 yards of the last year.

As far as the sage (spelling?) tide and what effect it has if you could answer that question I think you could catch a lot more fish and win a lot of money on the river. Its hard to tell in the summer when the "tide" is in or out. I know in the winter that period where it seems to neutralize the flow fishing isnt that great. Usually when the current starts down river again I catch more fish. I really havent spent much time worrying about it though. I think you should worry more about what forage is hatching and where. That will put you on more fish than just about anything.

Have fun on the river I think its going to be a banner season this year.

Thanks Steve, As always, I knew I could count on you for some good info.