• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Johnson to St Louis Blues

solbes

According to a INCH, Erik Johnson has agreed to terms with the Blues and will forgo his remaining 3 years of Gopher eligibility. He has a deal that can earn up to $3.7 million in incentives. Guess it's not a huge surprise.

What's everyone's opinion on this? I would venture that Okposo would be more valuable next season anyway.

Johnson at times looked good last year but he did not look like a #1 overall pick. He needed to stay. Money talks.

There were better defensemen on the team. I don't think that he distinguished himself at all.

I always have to laugh at that one....LOL

How in the world would Johnson get better staying college?

well how would he get better in the NHL... letting players skate past him all year long, hes got alot of work to do.

I agree with you quackaddict, If he can not dominate in the college game how will he even contend in the nhl.

GEEEEE I wonder.....lol

More games whether those are in the minors or the NHL more practices better coaching and of course WAY better competition....yada yada yada!

Oh wait though if stayed in college he would have his college education to fall back on in case he squanders the MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars he's going to make playing in the NHL.

grin.gif

Quote:

GEEEEE I wonder.....lol

More games whether those are in the minors or the NHL more practices better coaching and of course WAY better competition....yada yada yada!

Just like Mike Crowley right??

He's far from being ready to take the next step but I hope he proves me wrong. It would be nice to see another Gopher do well in the big leagues.

No one said he's ready to be star in the NHL tomorrow and where does say a player who turns Pro has to step right in.

If you think staying in the WCHA another year or 2 is going to make him a better NHL player IMO your sadly mistaken.

Great analogy Napa comparing a 6th round draft pick #140 overall who played 3 seasons of college hockey to the first overall pick in last years draft. confused.gif

What was your point? was it suppose to be if Crowley would have played 4 years instead of 3 he would have been a better player in the NHL or was his lackluster NHL career because of injuries and being a little on the soft side. grin.gif just wondering.

Johnson is a good player but I do not think he is ready. we can go back and forth all day about this but no one knows. Only time will tell. All i am saying and I think Pierbridge can even agree, is he was not a dominant force in the college level. I hope he proves me wrong but if he doesn't...well then I told you so grin.gif

Quote:

Johnson is a good player but I do not think he is ready. we can go back and forth all day about this but no one knows. Only time will tell. All i am saying and I think Pierbridge can even agree, is he was not a dominant force in the college level. I hope he proves me wrong but if he doesn't...well then I told you so
grin.gif

I wish he was staying also but he's not.

I agree at 19 years old he's probably not ready, but he will be and I would be suprised if he's not one of the better defensemen in the NHL sooner then later.

My 2 cents.

David Backes, the kid from Mankato State, was not a standout in college. But he played well for the Blues this year - give him some time - I don't know if I could turn down that kind of money to do something I'm 1)really good at, and 2) really enjoy.

JOhnson is simply a new employee for the Blues organization - don't you think they'll take care of him to maximize their investment?

I can't believe the things I'm reading here...I've been attending gopher hockey games regularly for the last 15 years and I would have to say that Johnson is the best DEFENSEMEN I have seen in a long time. He isn't overly flashy on the offensive side but I can't remember a single time that he was beat out right or was in the wrong position. I think his passing is equal to Crowley's, we have to remember that Crowley had Bonin as a Senior to pump the puck in, Johnson had much less talent up front. I think he will be an impact player very soon in the NHL.

Martin, Ballard, Baker, Todd Richards, Travis Richards all had numbers similar to Johnson as freshmen.

Most were solid NHLers but not Norris Trophy candidates.

Quote:

No one said he's ready to be star in the NHL tomorrow and where does say a player who turns Pro has to step right in.

If you think staying in the WCHA another year or 2 is going to make him a better NHL player IMO your sadly mistaken.

Great analogy Napa comparing a 6th round draft pick #140 overall who played 3 seasons of college hockey to the first overall pick in last years draft. confused.gif

What was your point? was it suppose to be if Crowley would have played 4 years instead of 3 he would have been a better player in the NHL or was his lackluster NHL career because of injuries and being a little on the soft side. grin.gif just wondering.

We heard the same hype about Crowley (had way better numbers as a freshmen) Magazines, Coaches said these two were already NHL ready before playing college.

There hasnt been an impact D drafted #1 since Potvin in 1973

I don't remember anyone saying those things about Crowley when he came out....the game was much different then, clutching grabbing, holding, hooking and Mike was about 5' 10" 180lbs. Not too much space on the roster for a guy like that. Why are we comparing Johnson to Crowley anyway, they couldn't be more different in the way they play the game. Johnson is a big, physical kid who plays positional defense better than anyone I've ever seen in a gopher uniform. You don't need numbers in college to be successful in the NHL as a defensemen.