• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

battery help

jighead 3

Question

I have a nataulis n-27 battery for my trolling motor just want to make sure it is a wet battery. Also my wife bought a charger for me today it is a vector smart charger. what amp should I be charging my battery at 25\10\2 does any one have this charger and if so how do you like it

3 answers to this question

Always charge at the lowest rate if you have the time to spare. Charging at the lowest rate generates less internal heat for the battery.

I don't believe this is always true. If memory serves me correctly, cranking batteries should be recharged as soon as possible and rather quickly. This may hold true for dual purpose cranking/deep cycle batteries but different manufacturers also seem to have different suggestions. This seems to suggest that the jury is still out on how best to recharge wet cell batteries.

Bob

Ya, it is a wet cell. I charge deep's at 2 amp trickle and cranker's at 2 amp unless I need it quicker. From my formal battery training, slower is always best if possible. The faster you charge a battery, the more action is going on inside. This can break down plates quicker. The higher amp charging is for pinch/crunch times. I personly would not use anything more tham 2-6 amp trickle on any battery, unless I had too. Good luck and nice charger.