Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinfey8

Student in Metro Area

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, i am a student at century college in WBL and am from Duluth, and i was just wondering where is a place to fish from shore...i love fishing and it sucks because i don't know any where to go!

I would fish the st. croix river. You'll mostly probably catch sheephead and redhorse, but you can still hook into smallmouths, catfish, white bass, walleyes, carp, etc. Much funner than catching potato chip sunfish from the local lakes. There's a number of boat launches with good shorefishing north of stillwater.

St. Croix would be good place for shore fishing, although I must admit I haven't tried it yet.

Another good place is where Minnehaha creek joins in with the Mississippi. Gets a little thick with people at times though.

I am student too and was limited to shore fishing. I got a float tube so I can get away from the potato chip sunnies off the dock. You can pick one up for $75-150.

Another thing, is to get a pair of waders and a light weight fly rod. They can make the potato chips alot more fun and the waders allow you much more mobility.

There are LOTS of places...depending on your pref. on fish. What did you have in mind to be on the other end?

I'll second the river ideas. I fish the Minnehaha creek area. Theres a few regualrs but you can usually find a little bit of shore line to call your own.

Basically the entire shore line of the river is fishable just a matter of how productive the area will be. I am sure there are hot spots from shore no one has found yet.

If you have waders or hip boots, you can access some good bass and pike fishing from the access area on Lake Jane, and it is pretty close to Century. Bass is C/R only. As long as you access the lake legally (i.e. from a public launch) you can walk anywhere around the edge. Likewsie you could do well on WBL, as the bottom is nice hard sand in many/most areas.

WBL has a pier just off hwy 61, and lots of people fish there and catch some pannies and bass. If you can launch a cast out, I am told there is a hole a bit farther out that holds some bigger fish and walleyes have been known to come out of there - but I have never witnessed it.

Good luck!

i prefer pannies, bass, n.p., and walleye, anything that bites....just looking for a nice place to relax and have a little action on a nice day.

Check this out at the Dnr Fishing in the neighborhood Should have all the info you want for some shore fishing areas.

if ur lookin to get out on boat around chisago lake or forest lake area i will be glad to take u out.. i m college student as well..

I live in St. Paul, hit WBL & Bald Eagle sometimes. Probably going out Saturday but might go to the Croix or south. I can take on in my boat if my buddy doesn't get back to me. Shoot me an email at s_e_hendricks@comcast.net if your interested.