Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott K

My first open water trip, what lures to bring?

11 posts in this topic

I get to go on my first open water trip to url in the middle of may, is there any hot lures I should pick up? And what live bait works best this time of year?

Oh ya, that is if there is open water by then confused.gif

How is the ice doing, is it almost gone?

Umm, lets see, hooks, sinkers, bait. Yaeh, that rings a bell.

Ok seriously, something red. Live bait and possibly plastics. Some of th emore experieced will help you out more.

troll rapalas 7-9 feet of water and hold on.... grin.gif

Quote:

I get to go on my first open water trip to url in the middle of may, is there any hot lures I should pick up? And what live bait works best this time of year?

What are planning on fishing for?

Walleye you can't go wrong with a good drift set-up. Lindy rigs or spinners in pink, white, red and black work well tipped with minnows or smaller leeches. You can also pull some #5 shads around.

Crappies still like minnows, darnest thing ya ever seen, they don't go for the super cosmic triple glow crappie super slammer jaw buster, they go for a chub minnow on a jig under a bobber. wink.gif

Pike will take a liking to larger crankbaits and spinner baits that cover alot of water in the same colors the walleye like plus firetiger, gotta love firetiger. Live bait and pike do work but you just can't cover water with them looking for the big ones.

Perch if they can fit it in their greedy little mouths they will hit it.

Sheephead are suckers for a white spinner on a worm harness.

Bullheads still like the worm on a white jig, always have always will.

Rock bass tear up beetle spins,Crappies don't like em but the rock bass sure do.

Quote:

Bullheads still like the worm on a white jig, always have always will.

Something Red Lake isn't really famous for, but I caught the biggest bullhead of my life in Red Lake a few years back when the walleye fishing was down. It had to be a good solid 3 pounds - couldn't believe it... crazy.gif

Yup Red is has lots of big Bullheads to catch if you look for them, when I was a kid some of the locals would take my Bullhead catches and smoke them, some of the best smoked fish I can remember.

Thanks for the info, I will be fishing for fish! I will target whatever, start with crappies move to eyes and pike, and if them get boring, I will fish whatever bites, and if nothing bites I will drink! And if the wind is blowing I will drink in the bar! And when the bar is closed I will sleep, untill I can fish. Then I will drink. Its kinda a revolving cycle it seems!

...are you from Waskish? grin.gif

funny...

Ill go with Jon on white for Drum and Bullheads! I have caught a crappie or two on white as well though.