Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Transom Saver questions???

14 posts in this topic

My owner's manual said I should buy a transom saver to put on my 175 suzuki and brace up against the 185 Trophy.

Question -- My dealer I bought it from said it is NOT necessary any more. He said it was a number of years ago, but is just a waste of money now.

Usually those guys try to get you to buy everything, but not this guy on this thing. I don;t know much about them -- I didn't need one on the old 60 hp. two-stroke.

Any thoughts?

If he said no i would ask him if they will cover if anything happens since he told you not to get it.

I cant see where it would do you any harm. In my opinion the benefits completely outweigh the problems that might occur. I figure any investment on a boat (which we all know is pretty important) is well worth it.

It might not be necessary but with a 100 hp and above it should be strongly recommended, that is a lot of weight.

I agree with you guys. That is what I think as well. I just don't know why he thought I would NOT need it -- I thought it was a no-brainer.

hitman ., yes get one., you spend that much on a new boat ., ., why not ., when we went up to lake tobin last year , the roads are real bad ., and if we would not have had them on ., there would have been some damage somehwhere ., by the way ., i drove by your house the other day ., niceeeee boat!!!

It's fine if the transom saver is off the motor when your not moving.. but if your moving the boat anywhere... I'd put one on.. Otherwise your tilt and trim motor will go to crap.. and when your pulling into shore...that's not a good thing....

Hitman, I would get one. YOu dont want to have to to do what I went through last summer when my transom broke and I had to completly rebuild the back of the boat, kept me off the lake most of the summer last year. I broke my transom save in the dark last year on opening weekend and did not fix it right away. I hit bump about a month later on the hwighway and almost left my 60hp evenrude laying on HWY 10.

Buy one they are very cheap

Excellent.

Will do -- and thanks

What kind should I buy?

Does it matter?

Just got back from the dealer and they are VERY helpful -- i am impressed.

Anyway -- the guys there said, "Yeah, you should have a transom saver --

So yeah I picked one up.

Now -- I just need to finish hooking up and get it on the H2O.

The problem I have with transom savers is that the lower unit and trim and tilt on you motor feels every bump that your trailer hits, putting alot of stress on them. They do help on the pressure on your trandsom though. The main thing is if you travel without one, you don't need to have your motor tilted all the way up,like you see so often that puts all the stress on it. Take a 2x4 lay it sideways across your tilt unit and trim the motor down to it. You may think it looks cheap,but it is the best all around answer.

Guys --

With a transom saver how high does the motor need to be tilted?

Thanks

Bringing this issue back up, need some advice in finding the right transom saver for a shorelander trailer as there are lights mounted on the middle of the trailer where the transom saver would be mounted, any suggestions?

My lights are mounted in the middle as well. I got mine to work. I will go home at noon and check.