• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Put it this way, I have a cabin on Osakis and i'm going to Mille Lacs for opener! Get the picture. The walleye bite on Osakis gets going good around Memorial day weekend. Been fishing Osakis since 1968! smirk.gif

I would agree, it can occasionally be good, but it's definitely not the norm or even 50/50. It's my main lake, but I gave up fishing it for opener about 4-5 years ago. I'd say it averages being good 1 out of 5 years.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a group of us going targeting Osakis for Memorial day weekend, any suggestions for a good campground? We will have kids (girls) with us ages 2-14. Need something to hopefully keep them occupied while we get out fishing.

I would recommend Two mile campground.

( Note from Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again, Thank-you )

Anyone else going out to Osakis at midnight tonight? I'll be there - probably alone as both partners backed out...

Osakis = Osuckis. It was not good. I should have listened to the other posters. I talked with probably about 20 to 30 people on the lake and not one single walleye was caught (at least that they would admit to). I figured I had some good tips from a friend who lived on the lake for 20 years and whose dad guided and fished it for more than that. But no luck...

I tried many spots and many presentations. The only place I got a bite (one) was just south of Battle Point. Maybe it will pick up later like they say but I'll never know cause I'm not going back. Since I live in the cities, for my time and money I will stick to Mille Lacs.

I don't know if you can compare much to Mille lacs. I hear its pretty darn good this year. As far as Osuckis, I'm hoping to intice at least a few this weekend. If not there's always bottle bass i guess.

Spent some time working on the boat this weekend as I needed a couple of repairs. Glad I didn't skip doing them for a poor opener on Osakis. I heard from others it was very very very slow. 3 guys, fishing 10 hours both days and only 2 walleyes and a handful of 3lb northerns.

Lets be honest though, comparing Milacs to Osakis is like comparing filet minion to chicken fried steak. Osakis will pick up in 2-3 weeks as it always does but its never going to be as good as the pond is right now. But on the other hand it doesn't have the congested launches or the 4 foot swells in a moderate breeze. So while its not a great lake, its still decent when you time it right and know the tricks of the lake.

But on opener, you might as well go for northern OR work on your boat for memorial day OR join the 1000's battling for the launches at ML.

Didn't mean to come down so hard, I am sure it will pick up - I'm just sore over spending that much time and money on a designated fishing day (with two young kids they are tough to come by...). Plus I added a nice new scratch to the boat from the metal corners on the town dock.

And your right - the reason I didn't go to Mille Lacs was the crowding factor. My neighbor went and got the last parking spot on a private launch at 2 am. They did okay and all three guys brought home a limit.

Sounds like everyone had the same luck this past weekend. We only caught 2 and they were caught at 10pm on Saturday night. Day time fishing was not very active. I honestly was not even marking fish in the normal spots. I would have thought that wil the small 12" fish last year that it would be a great opener. I was not the only one, there were tons of boats in all of the good locations. Does anyone think that the DNR chemicals had any effect on the activity? They say it does not effect the fish, but with the bite as poor as this one it is hard not to believe they were effects some how. I hope it will be better in a couple of weeks.

Top 5 you could have defined the problem right in your statement that "there were tons of boats in all of the good locations".

The lake is usually gin clear this time of year, you add a huge amount of boat traffic all fishing the same 10-12 primary bars and reefs, anchored and drifting and driving back to start another drift all in 12-14 feet of crystal clear water with the sun and shadows and noise that penetrate well down in to the water and you have a lot of spooked fish.

I'm guessing thats as much a part of the problem as anything else and a pretty good explanation of why opener on Osakis is traditionally less than stellar.

Come June 1, boat traffic is reduced, water clarity drops as algae blooms, pencil reeds start to pop, weed growth is up, forage is less spread out and more concentrated and viola you have a much more fishable lake. At least in the 5 years I've had a place on Osakis thats the pattern I've been observing.

Some very good points, I noticed that water clarity was at least 11 feet. Since you are on the lake do you know why they put the chemicals in the area? I assume that it was for the over growth of alge in the northern lake which was spreading south. Does that chemical have any side effects?

I also noticed large weed growth in about 10-15 feet of water. I was able to troll through some of it, but got tired of pulling off weeds. Looks like the majority of people were fishing with bobbers waiting for the fish to come to them. Hopefully the bite will increase the first week of June. Thanks for the response.

Don't know for sure but I was told this past weekend that they were adding a chemical treatment to control certain early season weed growth.

Bob

What they really need to do is to start controlling the runoff from cow and cattle feilds that runoff into the lake in the immediate area. Also get those turkey farms and cattle farms away from the lake. I remember seeing the cows standing in the water of Osakis. Gosh, I wonder if they get out of the water when they got to take a dump or pee?

The cabins with the new restictions on sewer systems are pretty much done around the lake, so don't blame the cabins and such anymore for green water in Osakis!

Lets get to the real source of the problem first rather than trying to clean up something that shouldn't have to be cleaned in the first place! mad.gif

Finlander, you might be on the point there.

Run off is a huge problem on Osakis. Theres a lot of ag land there and through the years there has been a lot of nasty stuff running into that lake.

I think any new development thats near any lake in the state is going to be scrutinized by the public, MPCA, county boards, etc. And thats a good thing, becuase we do need to protect our lakes.

As far as stoping the cows from peeing in the lake, or moving the location of the turkey farms, etc, I would say good luck. You are right, its a problem, but I don't see it changing any time soon.

Quote:

How's Osakis for opener usually? Maybe the weekend after?

Don't worry about not catching any fish this weekend, I'll hold your hand and show you how things are done wink.gif

Apparently there is a lack of knowledge about what is being done. You don't think there are regulations and controls in place to control runoff? Trust me, there are. I know of one particular farm on the east side that was forced to shut down his feedlot recently. I also am personally aware of feedlot regulations requiring buffers between them and any area watershed.

Due to the costs, farmers over the years have become far more aware of the amount of fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides we apply. We just can't afford to waste anything.

Now, let's talk about the lake road project. Oh yeah. Because someone wants to develop the last remaining natural shoreline there is a battle underway to stop it but it doesn't look good. The only reason is money.

And consider the city's activities. They totally cleaned all underbrush from the slope along the lake shore at Park Osagi. I can't wait to see how long it will take for mother nature to erode gouges into that slope. But it looks nicer for those visiting because it provides a better view of the lake.

Bob

Boy, this thread went off topic in a hurry. confused.gif

How's the pan fishing been on Osakis? I was there a few years back and caught some REALLY nice sunnies. Are they still around?

Last summer we did very well with large sunfish caught the largest of my life!! grin.gif 11.75" Strange fish though we caught about 15 all while walleye fishing with whole crawlers.

I know there are a few large one's in there. My wife was all giggly when she was pulling them in. Any spring time hot spots? May have to search for them if the eye's aren't found.

...good thing 1MC....sunnies are all you can catch! wink.gif

Quote:

...good thing 1MC....sunnies are all you can catch!
wink.gif

smirk.gif At least I'm catchin' and not just fishin'

I sure hope you planned on fishing out of the OTHER boat this weekend mad.gif

I call foul on 1morecast,

Boat captain rules clearly state that said boat captain cannot threaten removal of fishing spot in their boat during spitting contests of fishing prowess... grin.gif

Kidding around - I like your ID/name, reminds me of my daughter saying "really daddy - it has to be just one more cast, not like 100 more the last time you said that".

Well, I guess you can keep your spot in the no catch boat. Just no talking or eating or drinking or peeing or farting or wiggling or .......... grin.gif