• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Early June Fishing

Backwash

I am planning a trip to Mille Lacs the second week in June with my two boys and was looking for some recommendations on what side of the lake is most active at that time and a resort with cabins. Much appreciated.

Backwash,

June Fishing.

At this time of the year, the walleyes are in all different types of structure. I would fish the windy side of the lake. Fishing the rocks on the windy side will produce fish. Fishing the windy side of the gravel or mud will also produce some nice eyes. And don't forget the deep sand humps.

The whole lake is full of great structure to fish. I would suggest finding the structure you want to fish. I personally like pulling crawler harnesses with Colorado Blades with 6 to 8 ft leads. I typically like using bell sinkers with a three way rig. Others like using no snag sinkers and bottom bouncers. While others will use the old Lindy Rig setup with leeches or crawlers and some with minnows. But never forget about bobber fishing these windy sides of these structures too. Bobber fishing can be extremely successful if done right!

My reccommendation would be to spend the money and hire one of our guides. Either Tony Roach, Steve Fellegy, these two guys are awesome fishing guides and very well known. You will learn more than a few things on this lake from either Steve or Tony, that will give you and your children a education of fishing Lake Mille Lacs for a lifetime!

Feel free to contact the resort www.sunsetbayml.com for more details.

Fish On!!!

I would check out what cabins "Cranker" has available over at Sunset. He has a great family resort there. As he mentioned be on the windy side of the lake with the wind crashing into some rock piles. You'll find fish. Sunset, Nitti's Hunters Point, and some of the resorts on the east side are very close to these rocky structures.

Thanks for the kind words guys, but just a little note here; I do not own Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort. Although it would be a dream of mine. But my very good friends Chuck and Marilyn Appeldoorn own the resort. They are just super people! And now with the hiring of Paul Waldowski as our new general manager, The fun should just begin to just flow at Appeldoorn's.

I am going to be still helping when I get the time with marketing and the ice fishing business and other events along with sharing Mille Lacs fishing info here on FM. The goal is become a premier resort on Mille Lacs Lake.

But my main focus now is, on the Appeldoorn Park Model business. As you guys are probably aware of we are heavily involved with the State of Minnesota's Very First Four Season Park Model RV Park in Perham, Minnesota called The Cactus Resort & RV Park. Chuck and Brenda Minge really have a very beautiful brand new (right out of the box) Resort and RV Park and we are just thrilled to be able to work with them up there in Perham, Mn. You all should check it out.

And we are currently looking at getting involved in another Park Model RV development in Chisholm, Minnesota. I will keep everyone up to date. Both of these projects are one of a kind that all FM'ers I know will want to check out!

I do very much appreciate all the e-mails and phone calls from everyone. Its great working with you people and I'm hear to tell you that FM'ers are great people!

Paul Waldowski will be more than happy to take anybody's calls regarding cabin rentals or RV site rental info. Just call the resort at 1-320-676-8834 or just e-mail him at [email protected]

I appreciate all the calls for the resort but please call Paul at the resort and he will for sure take care of you!

Fish On!!!

Sorry about that Cranker. You are such a great resource for us here on fishingminnesota.com, that I just jumped to conclusions! You were always the man who knew how the ice was on the east side and how and what were biting.

At any rate, I would still recommend a resort on the east side...Appledorn's, Hunters Point, or the Wharf would all be great choices. As Cranker mentioned above, give Paul a call and I'm sure he'll set you up, as he is also a great resource and knows the lake better than most.

Good Luck!

Gregg Maloney

Thanks Cranker. I will contact Sunset Bay Resort and check on both things. Looking forward to June. What a great forum for fishermen. Much appreciated!!

If things don't work out with the resort, you could get a hold of me too. I may be able to help out. grin.gif

Backwash, June is one of the best months for Walleye fishing on Mille Lacs. If you have any experience at all you won't need a guide. This summer the lake should be on fire once again!

You are going up at a good time. The Eyes may still be on the deeper depths of the Sand. My guess though would be the mud. Use 7-9 ft snells. Either a plain red hook one bead, or spinner rigs. maybe shorten the snell to 6-7 ft. Colors: Chart. pink, rainbow, gold, copper.

If there's a big wind , they may be on the reefs, try slip bobbering. Leeches & Crawlers for sure!!!

Make sure you have a drift sock!!

Thanks again to all of you guys. I am making calls this weekend and will firm up our plans. Much appreciated.

Backwash, The 2nd and 3rd weeks in June in my book are 2 of the best weeks to be fishing on Mille Lacs. All methods of fishing should be going at that time of year. As Cranker mentioned the 1st thing I'd try is pulling spinners and a crawler, Lindy rigging will still be going strong and the mud flats really start producing some nice walleyes. If the wind is blowing (which it is 75% of the time) throw out an anchored on a rock pull or gravel bar and do some bobber fishing. If you want to trophy hunt throw on some deep diving cranks and troll. That being said if you are going to book something that time of year you should get reservations in at a resort as soon as possible. You will also have competition for those cabins with the Wave Wacker, PWT, FLW and MTT tournaments which all fall in June. Good Luck!

Good point Glassguy. I almost forgot about all those tournaments going on during that time of year!

The Greatest time I've ever had fishing was with my 8 year old last year during that time frame on the big Pond- We caught Big Fish after Big Fish Slip Bobbering on the rocks - Ill never forget that night. I put my Rod down the last 1/2 hour of the night and just sat back in the chair, had a beer and netted 6 more of his Fish-Good Times