Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First time out!!

6 posts in this topic

Going out for the first time in 35 years. Where should I go and what should I throw??? Thanks in advance.

If I had a nickel for every dime I spent I'd still have half as much money.

OH golly, old guy, you're going to have to give us a little more info! Where are you? What do you want to fish for?

Help us help you! smile.gif

Sorry, live in the metro and will travel a couple of hours. Looking to fly fish streams, rivers. Trout or?

My dad is an old guy too, he likes to fish the Rush over in Wisconsin. The towns or Martel and El Paso are pretty good spots.

That's the closest for you, west central Wisconsin. There are trout stream maps available from the Wisconsin DNR at http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/species/trout/streammaps.html

If you're willing to drive a little farther (and it's still just a couple hours away for you) there is a lot of good water in southeast Minnesota. Whitewater State Park would be a good trip for you. Lots of fishable water, easy access, and lots of fish.

Here's the newly updated, very extensive SE MN trout stream maps. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_streams/south_mn_maps.html

As far as flies go, there are lots of options/opinions. smile.gif

If you're a nymph fisherman, you'll do fine with size 14-18 Pheasant tails, size 12-16 Prince nymphs, size 12-14 orange scuds, and size 12-16 Hare's ear. You could probably catch fish all day on a scud trailed by a small pheasant tail.

Dry flies...depends on the hatch of course, but caddis will be going soon, and blue-winged olives will come off almost anytime in the right conditions (typically cloudy and cool, but sometimes even when it's sunny). Have some Adams dries to match other various mayflies. The list of what one should keep in their vest could go on and on...

I hope this helps...

old guy,

I'm an up and coming old guy.

If you're still awake or if you get up early. I'm going this am about 6. Just found out I'm free. Company'd be good. I'll check here before I go, or email at emtmedfishathotmail.

Jim