Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thedeadsea

Planer Board and Mast Question

13 posts in this topic

I am getting into fishing the big lake and am wondering if someone can suggest a good planer board and mast for me. My boat is a 19'6" Crestliner Phantom. Should I go with a 6' mast, and where should I mount it in the boat? Also can someone recommend a good brand of planer board release?

Thanks much,

Steve

I fish a Big Jon mast, custom big boards of the variety you get from Russ down at Marine General in Duluth, and Laurvick releases. I've had nothing but good luck with the tower. It's been riding around on the bow of my boat for 7 years without needing to be touched. The same can be said for the boards. They are pretty simple design but run through big waves and, if you're tower is mounted on the bow, they'll not drift back the transom of your boat. The Laurvick releases are a bit spendy but they work well for me. I also carry a bag of rubber bands on board to loop over the fishing line and into the jaws of the release if it is very choppy or I am running a deep crank or full core on the board. One other thing to make sure and get are the planer board shock tubes. They make a big difference in the amount of jerking around the board and board line will do.

Over on Michigan I can run a full core way out on the board, a fastrac just inside, and a deep crank inside of that. That is a lot of potential for blow back but the boards hardly shift back. REALLY puts a lot of lines out without getting in the way on a small boat like mine.

I'd day stop down and talk to the guys at Marine General. They'll show you a bunch of different options. The only thing you CAN'T get from them is some poor sap to be in charge of hanging releases from the bow of your rig while you're trolling through six foot seas. Hang around the Duluth forum much and you'll find a few willing masochistic fellas...

Lota Lota...

What sucker would ever do that? crazy.gifgrin.gif

lotalota's description it good. When you mount your based plate you'll want to add a backer.

Where and how high. The idea is to get as much height as you can but still be able to snap on releases without standing on your toes. Forward and out of the way is usually where you'd mount the mast. When every I add equipment I sit in the boat and think for its best location.

Hey...I couldn't find a picture last night while I was trying to get my TurboTax filing done...dang servers were down last night!!! ANYWAY, here is how I have mine mounted. Like ST noted, I have a sturdy backing plate under the forward deck. And, in calm water, Northlander can reach the lines from the center console without standing on his toes. If you want to see him do a wicked pole dance, though, get him in rough weather and give him a couple of releases!

Do you just hook a bungee to his belt hoop ? grin.gif

Scott, do you have to tip Northlander ones or fives to get him to do the pole dance grin.gif

Hey the dead sea, you would not be referring to Vermilion would you? When you going to get that thing out on the big lake? Go get that mast put on so we can go!

Quote:

Hey...I couldn't find a picture last night while I was trying to get my TurboTax filing done...dang servers were down last night!!! ANYWAY, here is how I have mine mounted. Like ST noted, I have a sturdy backing plate under the forward deck. And, in calm water, Northlander can reach the lines from the center console without standing on his toes. If you want to see him do a wicked pole dance, though, get him in rough weather and give him a couple of releases!

I do not have a mast system but use in lines. I have been thinking of buying a couple more. What are the pros and cons of mast verses the inlines??

I've used both heres what I think. I like the mast because you fight only the fish and not the board and fish. Mast can handle rougher water then inline boards I think. Also sucks if a inline board comes off in rough water when your surrounded by people and you got to get back around to pick it up. I also think you can corner better and get more lines out with mast.

I'm talking for the big lake. Inline boards have there time and place though. I still use mine for walleye fishing inland. jmo

Go with the big jon mast up front. the custom boards from russ. those would be your best bet.

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it! I will have to visit MG and talk to them, have shopped there a bit and heard many good things about them.

Thanks again,

Steve

P.S. Joe, I am going to dig my boat out of the garage here soon and you guys will have to come down, just dont bring the guy who broke my gaff!

We wont bring him! We sent him back to Finland!!