Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
backlash 1

??? on transom saver

12 posts in this topic

I bought a frame mount transom saver from Cabelas, and it slips down a bit on the motor just sitting in the garage. I have already replaced the bunge cord with another that attaches higher up, but the saver still slipped down a couple inches on the motor. Wondering if i'm gonna have some problems when I get on a bumpy road? Is there a better method of secureing these to the motor?

Do you let your motor down and let the transom saver take some of the weight? Works on any boat i have used with a transom saver.

I think UMD is right. Slowly let the motordown onto the TS until the TS is taking some of the weight. No troubles.

UMD and Ufatz are both right. I got my tansom saver at cabela's as well (probably the same one), and you want to put just enough pressure that you can not pull it the motor by hand. To much pressure and you can bend the transom saver.

You need to make sure you have a lot of pressure on them, and even then they most likely will slide. At least that is the case with the TS I have from Cabelas. Mine's going back mad.gif

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but have another question about Transom Savers. At what size motor do they become necessary or recommended? I have an older Alumacraft boat that I just bought with a 35HP Evinrude that I trailer in the down position. Should I be using a TS?

Thanks,

Paul

I have an 1985 Johnson 25 horse which I believe is the same size/weight as the Evinrude 35. I trailer mine in the down position. For my larger motor, the owner's manual said to use a transom saver.

Hey Payday: Have you considered Operator Error? Try it again. They are so danged simple, and have been used for so many years, that its odd you are having the trouble you note. shocked.gif

The one I have is adjustable length, with the main support bar having about a 22 degree bend in it. Once it slips into the bracket on the trailer there is much movement for different degrees of support. My tilt switch will only create so much force against the bracket and thats it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to put the bunge cord on either, must be an angle thing, maybe I have the motor trimed up to high. How far off the ground do you want the lower unit to be with these things?

Ufatz- That did cross my mind so last night I rechecked everything and it does not hold unless I remove all of the adjustability from the pole. Then the motor 'tilt' is not activated as it is still in 'trim'. A 2x4 across the hydrolics would give it more support then what I have from the Cabelas transom saver.

I realize this is a simple system, I've used many different ones but this is the first Cabelas one and also the only one I've ever had trouble with. Of course this happens to be the one on MY boat. confused.gif

Thanks, Hookmaster!

Paul

Remember! When you launch your boat, take it off. The first launch after I bought one, I forgot to take off. It is sitting a bottom of Buffalo Lake right now, after taking a hunk out of my prop. The one I bought had a “U” that slipped on to center back roller of my trailer. The only thing that hold’s it on is the bungee strap to transom. I backed boat in water and pulled truck out. I never even thought of it until I loaded boat back up and saw prop. I felt really dumb that day, but was never used to using it.