Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

UPLR Lake Zumbro Report (4/16/07) (2 pics)

1 post in this topic

Last night was a beautiful night to be on the water. The fish cooperated too for the most part. The top 3 finishers had 8 fish limits so the fish were out there for the lookin.

We found our fish up near shore with deeper water nearby and not far from the main current channel. Where there was a lot of wood, there were more fish. The fish were not in full feed mode, but could be persuaded into taking a bait. Many, many times the fish would just tap it, or poke it resulting in many missed hooksets. I never did come up with an exact answer for them, but trial and error eventually produced a nice bag of fish.

One thing that stand out in my mind right now is the # of snags we got!!! This was frustrating, but vital in our successful catch rate. If you didn’t place your cast within about 1’ of the wood, you didn’t get hit. If you got it in the magic stop, then your odds were greatly increased. Yes, we snagged up a bit more and lost a pile of lures (and broke 2 rods, but that is a different story), but we also caught 40+ fish on a semi-tough evening of fishing.

The crappies hit well on a Culprit paddletail with some blue or purple in it. Blue or purple 1/32 jighead worked fine as well. For the gills, my bait of choice was a white Exude Micro-Shad on a 1/32 oz jig. They seemed to take it better if you had a little piece of waxie on there, but it wasn’t necessary for the most part.

1st Place – Mike Smith (he won it with these dandy crappies)

mike_crappies.jpg

2nd Place – Andy Valek (and big fish winner with a 2.5ish Carp)

3rd Place – Tyler Holm (Lost to Andy by 0.06lb (sorry to those that heard the fowl language shout when I read the scale – it was like when a turkey shock-gobbles)).

Andy Anderson had a 9.5” gill

andya_gill.jpg

PS. I didn't see a single person keep fish this evening. All fish weighed were successfully released. Nice job everybody!