Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deacon

The Ice is off

21 posts in this topic

Ice is off lakes right around Fergus. Any other reports in Otter Tail County?

South and North Turtle are still pretty solid. Bass/Elbow and Bass in Underwood look similar. They look like they will start to crack and move at any time, however.

Nothing open in the Battle Lake area. What lakes are open around Fergus? I know Pebble still has quite a bit of ice. Still a lot of small sloughs between FF and Battle that still have ice as well.

I drove around this evening and found that much of East Battle, Stuart, West Battle...you could probably walk right from shore onto the ice in a lot of areas around the lakes. There was ice so close to shore (areas protected from the sun) it looked like it was February. frown.gif

Small lakes that clear of ice about a week before larger lakes still have plenty of ice. I'm not holding my breath at this point. smirk.gifconfused.gif

64 degrees today, good bye ice. I expect to get out this weekend, at least to test the motor and electronics.

Yippee!!!

This weekend with the rain forcast and 65 degrees.. WE'll see some more lakes opening up..hopefully!!

Was out at my lake place last couple of days cleaning. Ice opened up and started pushing off on bays and smaller lakes today. But some of the others I drove by are quite tight yet, but as gissert said could go at any time. I am sure by the weekend the smaller lakes should be clear with the wind forecast for tomorrow and the temps and possible rain.

LJ

Hey Gissert,

Let me know if you get your dock in. Hoping to put mine in the last weekend in April.

My dock is going in the day the ice goes out grin.gif

Does anyone know what the status of Little Pine is? I plan on heading up for the decoy show and I'm wondering if I should get my hopes up for putting in the dock as well.

The wind is blowing extremely hard today, lots of lakes should be clear in the next day or two.

I just talked with a guy who lives on Big Pine and he stated its going to be a while before it opens up, so I'm sure Little Pine is the same or close.

South Turtle is very fractured, I expect the ice will go today, tomorrow at the very latest. Later, I will go for drive and look at some larger lakes.

Norway Lake, at least the main body, was ice free this morning.

I just got back from a drive. Norway, and jcbh noted is ice free. Wall, East Lost, Deer, and Round were also open. South Turtle is about 75% open and the rest will go today.

A majority of the SW corner of Ottertail was open, and going fast. West Battle was also fractured and shifting.

Silver had not cracked yet, but looked very sick.

The west arm of North Turtle was open, the main body still had ice.

With this wind, most of the ice should be gone in the next 24-48 hours.

Thanks Gissert.

Now I want to head up there TODAY. I'll probably be up next week to put the dock in and open up the joint.

Will you be fishing by next week?

Gissert, thanks. Definitely will hit the water this weekend if temps stay in the 60's.

Little Pine had alot of open water the other day with the Otter Tail River entering in two spots, culvert before Mud and after Mud and exiting on the east I bet it smashed itself to bits with the wind. Otter Tail had shifted 30-40 yards over night going from a 10 foot lead along the SE shore to over 100 feet. Must be some big ice piles on the NW.

Rush lake should be open today, it was about 90% open yesterday.

OT lake ice is all off except for the little amount along the north shore.I'm up here all week so the dock/lift is going in tomorrow or Tuesday. Does anyone know if the DNR are still collecting walleye eggs and where? I sure would like to check it out.

DNR is harvesting eggs, I was there Sat and Sunday. Very interesting. Head towards Walker lake and before you get to the river turn right, there is also a sign that states State fish hatchery. Mornings around 8:30 or 9:00 is when they start. It last about 1 hour or so.