Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deacon

The Ice is off

21 posts in this topic

Ice is off lakes right around Fergus. Any other reports in Otter Tail County?

South and North Turtle are still pretty solid. Bass/Elbow and Bass in Underwood look similar. They look like they will start to crack and move at any time, however.

Nothing open in the Battle Lake area. What lakes are open around Fergus? I know Pebble still has quite a bit of ice. Still a lot of small sloughs between FF and Battle that still have ice as well.

I drove around this evening and found that much of East Battle, Stuart, West Battle...you could probably walk right from shore onto the ice in a lot of areas around the lakes. There was ice so close to shore (areas protected from the sun) it looked like it was February. frown.gif

Small lakes that clear of ice about a week before larger lakes still have plenty of ice. I'm not holding my breath at this point. smirk.gifconfused.gif

64 degrees today, good bye ice. I expect to get out this weekend, at least to test the motor and electronics.

Yippee!!!

This weekend with the rain forcast and 65 degrees.. WE'll see some more lakes opening up..hopefully!!

Was out at my lake place last couple of days cleaning. Ice opened up and started pushing off on bays and smaller lakes today. But some of the others I drove by are quite tight yet, but as gissert said could go at any time. I am sure by the weekend the smaller lakes should be clear with the wind forecast for tomorrow and the temps and possible rain.

LJ

Hey Gissert,

Let me know if you get your dock in. Hoping to put mine in the last weekend in April.

My dock is going in the day the ice goes out grin.gif

Does anyone know what the status of Little Pine is? I plan on heading up for the decoy show and I'm wondering if I should get my hopes up for putting in the dock as well.

The wind is blowing extremely hard today, lots of lakes should be clear in the next day or two.

I just talked with a guy who lives on Big Pine and he stated its going to be a while before it opens up, so I'm sure Little Pine is the same or close.

South Turtle is very fractured, I expect the ice will go today, tomorrow at the very latest. Later, I will go for drive and look at some larger lakes.

Norway Lake, at least the main body, was ice free this morning.

I just got back from a drive. Norway, and jcbh noted is ice free. Wall, East Lost, Deer, and Round were also open. South Turtle is about 75% open and the rest will go today.

A majority of the SW corner of Ottertail was open, and going fast. West Battle was also fractured and shifting.

Silver had not cracked yet, but looked very sick.

The west arm of North Turtle was open, the main body still had ice.

With this wind, most of the ice should be gone in the next 24-48 hours.

Thanks Gissert.

Now I want to head up there TODAY. I'll probably be up next week to put the dock in and open up the joint.

Will you be fishing by next week?

Gissert, thanks. Definitely will hit the water this weekend if temps stay in the 60's.

Little Pine had alot of open water the other day with the Otter Tail River entering in two spots, culvert before Mud and after Mud and exiting on the east I bet it smashed itself to bits with the wind. Otter Tail had shifted 30-40 yards over night going from a 10 foot lead along the SE shore to over 100 feet. Must be some big ice piles on the NW.

Rush lake should be open today, it was about 90% open yesterday.

OT lake ice is all off except for the little amount along the north shore.I'm up here all week so the dock/lift is going in tomorrow or Tuesday. Does anyone know if the DNR are still collecting walleye eggs and where? I sure would like to check it out.

DNR is harvesting eggs, I was there Sat and Sunday. Very interesting. Head towards Walker lake and before you get to the river turn right, there is also a sign that states State fish hatchery. Mornings around 8:30 or 9:00 is when they start. It last about 1 hour or so.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• fisherjmb
      Hi Everyone, a couple of questions, I know there is free public boat ramp in Stillwater just above the lift bridge. Is there another public boat ramp further down river? I thought I read somewhere that Beanies is or was becoming a free public boat launch. Is that the case? Also, I am thinking of heading there on Monday to try my luck. Any tactics/depths/areas that have been producing for anyone?
    • proguide
      I would call the catfishing this week seasonal.  It is a pretty normal bite for a period of lower water and heat.  The catfish are in post spawn and spread out in their summer haunts.  The more aggressive fish are in the deeper water in the middle of the river.  As usual stay on the move and keep the bait fresh. Bait does not seem to matter still but people with frogs are saying they are getting their better hits with them. 
    • Rick
      Wildlife artists can submit entries for the 2018 Minnesota Trout and Salmon Stamp through 4 p.m. Friday, July 28, according to the Department of Natural Resources.  2017 Trout and Salmon Stamp Competition
      First Place: Timothy Turenne Anglers can purchase the trout and salmon stamp validation with their fishing license for an additional $10. For an extra 75 cents, purchasers can receive the pictorial stamp. It is also sold as a collectible for $10.75. Revenue from stamp sales is dedicated to trout and salmon management and habitat work. Trout or salmon must be the primary focus of the design, though other fish species may be included in the design if they are used to depict common interaction between species or are common inhabitants of Minnesota’s lakes and rivers. Brook trout designs are not eligible this year. Artists are prohibited from using any photographic product as part of their finished entries. Winning artists usually issue limited edition prints of the artwork and retain proceeds. Judging will take place Thursday, Aug. 3, at DNR headquarters, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul. For more information and contest guidelines, visit mndnr.gov/stamps, or call the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • BigVwalters
      It was a main lake break line that went from 18' and dropped into around 30'.  Just a sand transition into mud.   The fish we kept were loaded with small perch and crayfish.
    • monstermoose78
      Fun times
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      For winter jigging with Raps I cut off both front and rear hooks and upgrade one size on the middle treble hook. Cliff
    • srj
      Another observation from the tournament and pre-fishing: On LOW I don't usually get very concerned about colors on cranks. However, Friday and Sat, the UV white with pink striped top shad rap was doing about 6 to 1 in the mornings. Afternoons, the gold foil rap was by far our best color. I'm a bit color blind, but pretty sure that UV rap has pink on the top. Wonder what fish actually see...........not much pink striped stuff swimming around the big lake.
    • ANYFISH2
      1/18 Day 4   Day for was exploration Day for the family.  Amanda, the kids, and my mother in law spent a good portion of the hanging out in town.  Shopping and visiting a few of the local attractions.   The father in law and myself decided to pull his boat and go explore a near by lake we have been thinking about.  This would give us s little change of pace.   Fishing actually exceeded our expectations, especially for starting in the early afternoon. Unsure where to start we motored around watching the graph if an area I thought might be good.  after a short while we noticed most marks showed themselves in 18-21 ft on steep breaks.  With the winds blowing we decided to try anchor on top and let the wind drift us over the and bobber fish.  This began to seem unproductive after about 45 mins with no bites, yet we were marking fish.  Out of bordem I decided to raise up 5 ft and cast as far as i could to the top of the break (15ft).  The first 3 casts produced 3 walleyes 15"-18". The bobber never settled before they went down!  The walleyes them slowed but the perch bit really picked up.  Most perch where 9" but a few went as big as 11".   After that spot slowed we hit a few similar spots until we settled on a spot bit deeper but with lots of marks.  This spot would give us pretty non stop action till dark.  With different species rotating through. By the end of the day we caught: 12 walleyes ranging from 11"-21". 5 Pike 20"-30" and one really big one that bit a 10" perch as it was being reeled in by the FIL. Countless Perch, not many under 9"or over 10". And a few dozen bluegills 7.5"-10".   Service here is giving me fits with photos. Hope to post some when i get home this weekend  
    • Hoey
      Perchy - Insured?  If so, the adjuster will have some recommendations, off the record, on places for repair.  
    • Captain Acorn
      For all you jigging rap fans out there are you generally jigging those vertically or on the move.   I seen some discussion earlier on the front hook and one thing that I have heard about that hook is a lot of people do take it off in order to prevent snags. I have donated quite a few jigging raps in the past to rocks on the big V I have donated quite a few drinking wraps in the past to rocks on the big v