Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bubbadust

My weekend fishing "adventure"

5 posts in this topic

I picked up tmy boat from my buddy's garage on Saturday and made sure everything was ready to go for my first fishing outing of the year Sunday morning. I could not get the light on the right side of the trailer to work right, so I spent several hours playing with the wiring. The right side would turn off whenever I turned the headlights on. I checked all the connections, redid several of the connections, replaced bulbs, etc. I took the light unit off and in the process, ripped one of the wires from the fixture. This was at 8:00 pm Saturday and Fleet Farm was closed. I went down Sunday morning (I was just there Saturday afternoon before I picked up the boat), got a new fixture, went home and rewired it. It still didn't work right. Then I started checking the grounds (there are 5 of them on my trailer for some reason). Turns out the 4th one was a charm--it was all corroded and caked with mud. Everything worked fine after I cleaned it up. That concluded about 5 hours of tinkering with the wiring!

Then I picked my friend up and headed down to Orchard. I launched the boat and left my friend to hold it while I parked the Jeep. When I got back down to the water, I had a foot of water in the boat because I left the plug out. My friend was too busy daydreaming to notice. I got the plug in, bailed it out and pushed off.

My 1973 25 hp Johnson would not start. I flooded the heck out of it to no avail. I had drained and refilled the lower unit last fall, but replaced plugs Saturday. Thank God the electric motor worked. As we were putting along with the electric motor I took the cover off my motor only to realize I didn't reconnect one of the plug wires when I replaced the spark plugs. We fished for about 3 hours and I kept trying to start the motor, but it was so flooded I never got it started. I rubbed the skin off 2 of my fingers from pulling on the darn thing so many times and now have blisters to prove it.

To top off the day, we never caught a fish.

I hope everybody else has a better first trip than I did!

Sounds frustrating, well don't feel bad, fishing wasn't much better here either

wiring problems, no outboard, forgotten plug, and no fish....

still sounds better than stuck inside staring at the tv.

better luck next time.

Well hopefully you have your " bad trip" of the year out of the way already.

Good thing you did not try to throw the anchor out. shocked.gif