Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Troutin Opener (3 pics)

3 posts in this topic

Andy (RugbyGuy) and I did the trout opener again this year. Or morning was nothing short of fantastic. The brown trout were tearing up most everything that hit the water. Natural colors were preferred, but not required. The rainbow trout pattern produced lots of fish.

7 doubles today where we both had fish in hand. Many more close calls. We each had a few back to back casts/fish. Many more close calls. Our big fish went 14” with the majority of our fish 10-12”. We took 8 fish 9-12” home for a meal and were basically only keeping fish that were deep hooked. Andy grilled the fish for us and our wives on Sunday and it was incredible.

The fishing slowed around 10:00 and really shut down at 11:00. Just to give you an idea, we still caught a dozen fish or so from 11:00-1:00. Before the high sun, we found fish scattered and caught fish in deep and shallow water. Riffles, eddies, and slack water all had fish in the morning. Around 10:30ish the fish tended to migrate to deeper water (or shaded) and become less active.

Oh yeah, the weater went from freezing the guides, line, hands, reels, etc to blazing hot and soaking from sweat. All part of fishing in the great state of MN.

13" Brown Trout

andy_brown1.jpg

14" Brown Trout

ty_brown1.jpg

This one had a cool looking top fin between the dorsal and tail. It had a unique red pattern.

andy_brown3.jpg

Beauties!

ah, thanks ty, its tuesday and these are the first trout pics i've see. if ever a fish deserved to be photographed, it's a trout. cool.gif