• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

long lake launch?

anyone know what long lake(new brighton)boat launch is like i have just gotten my 1st boat and would like to put it in a small lake to get er going,also to practice puttin her in the lake so i dont end up on that thread about a-holes at the boat launch grin.gifany info would be great or any suggestions on anouther small lake that doesnt have alot of traffic would also work,thanks.fdr

You could try Lower Twin Lake in Robbinsdale. Brand new ramp with very little traffic.

Long Lake is concrete, double wide with a dock on one side.

I may put in today, or Wed. I've got a Tahoe with a Crestliner, so say 'hi' if you see me.

thanks for the info guys grin.gifi'll be the guy going in crooked and probrobly flooding my motor smirk.giffdr

fdr01 - Don't worry, I was new to boats until a few years ago too. The best thing to do is read the boating rules/regs, watch what others do, and then talk to them.

There's a lot of little things that are hard to pick up on, even with something that seems so simple as dropping a boat in the water. Knowing how far to back your truck in when launching versus pulling out, etc.

My advice is to go slow, have somebody in back watching and giving direction, and take one step at a time...and don't forget to put in the boat plug!

One thing that I've noticed a lot of people doing at Long Lake is they back their trailers up too far and the tired drop off the end of the ramp. When removing the boat from the water, they burn rubber like it's going out of style, just trying to get the tired back on the ramp with the weight of the boat on the trailer.

As previously mentioned, DO NOT FORGET to put the plug in the boat first. When I first launched my boat, I forgot the plug. blush.gif

You may also want to make sure the motor is starting easily. My second problem when I got out there was that the ignition wasn't working properly. So I sank my boat for no reason at all. crazy.gif