• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka crappie report 4/16

Was out on tonka saturday, bite was pretty good when we found a nice hole. Jig and minnow ~ Cast it out into or cutting the wind and letting it blow back to the hole was the trick for us. Bite was almost everyother cast, you will notice the bobber slightly stop for a few seconds which means they took the bait. They weren't all that aggressive for us. All good bites were in 8-10 feet east side. But the wind was crazy, little 16 footer. My anchor did not help at all, talk about swinging back and forth. Highlight of the day, managed a 2.5" crappie on a 2 in paddle tail. Was crazy!

Funny year so far - you clean up in one spot and get skunked in others just like it. I found one dock just stacked with crappies. Thought I was good to go. Took 2 hours and a lot of experimenting to catch five fish. Kept thinking any minute this area is going to turn on. Finally gave up moved to another spot and it was non-stop action. All I can say is be prepared to move and vary the retrieve speed. A lot of my fish were hitting up, the float would just lay over on it's side or hit a 45 degree angle and that would be it. Had to be quick with the hookset. Water temps were hitting high 50s in the back bays but this rain cooled things off a bit so I would try slightly deeper water for those going out tonight and tomorrow.

KTroller,

Wasn't me as I never went back out and didn't go to Seton (never got the kids out that day) - launched out of Gray's - my windinsanity hit early. I'm in a white StarCraft with merc outboard.

montanagriz,

I'm also in Victoria - for crappie Seton and Black are popular spots. I will be fishing the crappie trouney this Saturday - hopefully not walking across any boats.

4/24 North side of bay, fishing 1-5 FOT, float and crappie minows, Ziltch, I'm starting to wonder about this whole Crappie thing...

MOnday was tough period - I scratched out a grand total of 3 crappies (but lots of green carp). Last night was still a little difficult for numbers but size was up. I was actually sight fishing for some big crappies in a small bay. That was fun.

on Monday 4/23/07, I C&R a 12" crappie. Big ol monster hit on a jig head with southern pro tube. Lots of small crappies, gotta sift through them. My trick was using bigger jigs that the smaller ones couldnt pound. Was out on Maxwell bay. Happy fishin!

Montanagriz,

Halsteads is another great bay for panfish especially as you come through the channel from Priests.

Well...so much for that spot now. I guess I'll have to try to find something else!

Was out in a few bays last night. Was frustrating..couldn't manage any nice ones, and the bite was just so slow. Was pretty cold with that little wind. Took about 3hrs of cruising spot to spot before I gave up, and hit the deeper breaklines. Odd but I managed to pick up slabs there. Marked a school as I was traveling, turned around and took out marcum flasher and practically fished like I was ice fishing with a 6'6" pole. Had flasher up in the bow while I sat in the back of the boat, vertical jig with minnow with split shot no bobber straight down to 16-18 ft. They were coming off the bottome like winter time...very odd for me, but it worked. Every couple minutes you will see them cruise by in 10ft of water with a depth of 16-18. Reeled up quick to that range and they usually would take the bait. PS-bringing ice poles next time.

That spot is nothing new it has been posted on here before. That is just one of very many on Tonka. wink.gif

toomuchfun~ I'm just giving you a hard time! It's also one of my many on Tonka cool.gif

Seriously, is there any place on Tonka that isn't a community spot?? There are very few spots that I fish that are "secret" (and I am not giving them out) but that makes all the more fun. Comes down to knowing what will work and getting away from the standard jig and minnow thing. FYI big crappies are sitting on the first break usualy 12 to 15ft and have not moved shallow. Just do a little hunting and you will do well. Look for areas in the bays that are close to potential spawning areas which are typically big flats in the 5 to 8ft depths. When wind is lite you can slowly drift in these spots. Heavier winds use the trolling motor to slowly move. I typically fish about 10ft down under a float which I slowly pop back to the boat. Like Caleb said it's almost like ice fishing in approach. If I mark a good school I will anchor up and fan cast the area with the slip bobber. And they will bite way after dark. Don't get locked in to just fishing the coves and bays.

That sounds right Mark, its frustrating fishing "ICE-STYLE" in a boat drifting back and forth and trying to get jig within scope of flasher but it sure fun, especially when they slam the minnow (bending almost 7 foot pole), they pretty much set the hook themselves. Tonka is heavily populated by fisherman, shallow bays gets pounded left and right, but no one really checks the deeper holes. All the spots I hit yesterday almost 3-4 four boats. I recommend just hunting, you will find them. I made a bad choice to spend so much time in the shallow bays yesterday knowing that when they are shallow, its almost easy to site fish (crappie breaking water). Just keep trecking and you will find them. No secret really. If you see a guy out there this weekend with an ice rod in the middle of no where, FYI, probably pounding slabs.

Was out Tuesday the 24th after work with my son. Started on a supposed honey hole for sunnies - nothin. Went over to Seton - only 1 boat in there (should have been my first clue) we anchored in about 8 feet and caught one small one.

Then trolled around the hole and picked up another small one (I graphed them scattered all around the hole suspended anywhere from 15 to 3 feet). As we motored the channel to Cooks there were a couple of boats anchored near shore that appeared to be catching a few small ones. WT was 54 degrees.