Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisherslanding

Whiteface

13 posts in this topic

I tossed a dart and it hit on whiteface for opener. I have fished it once before in the center finger. Has anyone fished the other fingers? Is it tough to navigate?I thinking that most fish will be up where the river dumps in. Any thoughts would be great.

I fish whiteface quite a bit I fish the south side and troll with spinners. I a small boat you wont have much to worry about but like any resevoir there are plenty of obstacles. Seems to have a better bigger class of walleyes

There sure is alot of structure to fish!!!! Do you fish by the dam?I fish Island alot and do very well. Would you say to fish whiteface the same?As far as wind blown points and islands? Are you fishing whiteface on opener?

I have a cabin on Island so usually Im fishing there but venture to boulder or whiteface when the traffic on Island gets to me. I think fishing on whiteface is better than island for sure and you do catch bigger keepers also. Most fish I catch on island are under 16" but whiteface seems to have a popular class that are 16" to 18". The structure of whiteface seems more fishable it seems easier to find fish unlike Island that has a lot of structure that doesnt hold fish. If I were you I would move my dart down and fish that other lake.

Just watch out for rocks. I was up at the cabin last weekend and the water is LOW!!!! Not to say it will be this bad on opener, but it wont be able to come up that much in 3 weeks.

Island is between 3' and 4' low. Which is higher than it was last year. The last two years we have got the rain we needed the last 2 weeks before the opener. We can only hope the same will happen this year. Or the tyee will stay in the garage for a couple extra weeks. Its even easier to drink barley pops when somebody else is drivin'!!!.

fisherlanding, with the water so low I do not think there will be much flow from the river. They might be up in that bay but I would look for shallow wind blown points and structure. There is a lot of structure and yes watch out for rocks. The locals mark some shallow reefs with jugs so watch out for them. good luck.

yukon, I didn't know if the walleyes tried to run up the river or not. I was thinking at the mouth of the river as a staring point. I'll check it out but I think you might be right with the water level being low. Have you ever fished the east or west finger before? Are they worth checking out? What about near the dam? Just looking for a few places to try you know. laugh.gif

I have never spent a lot of time over by the dam. Most of my time has been in the middle finger. I have never had to stray far from the campground access to find walleyes

Thanks again yukon! I'll give a report when we get back....Good luck to you on opener

I was at Whiteface this weekend the water was the lowest I've seen in the last 5 years. I will be back for opener low water or not. Every year you hear about lower units gettin thrashed by some rocks under the surface so please be careful good luck

well guy's thanks for the info i will be up there over memorial weekend for 4 days of hard fishing. let me know if they are bitting. i hope the leval comes up alittle by then i dont need to wreck anything on my new (used) boat!!!! confused.gif

good luck to all on openers!!!!!

A business acquantence has a cabin on whiteface and says the water is down 18" from normal levels.