Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
centralmneyeguy

fishing league

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have been thinking about starting a Wright County fishing league and am just wondering how many people would be interested in doing this. The lakes I considered are 1. Clearwater 2. Cedar 3. Pleasant 4. Sugar 5. Sylvia/Twin 6. Pulaski 7. Buffalo 8. Maple. It would be a multi-species league on a point system. All but a couple of the lakes would be fished twice. It would run from the week after opener until mid August. The fish we would fish for would be Walleye, Bass, and Northern. It would be a catch and release only and I would limit it to 12 two man teams at a cost of $125.00. If I see enough interest I may try getting it going this year. I also want to know if there are any others out there and contact numbers for the people running them. I don't want to have two league events going on a lake at a time. If it doesn't happen this year I may try getting it going next year. Thanks, Matt

We fish a league in the same area.

Last year we ran into 4 other leagues one night at Sugar Lake. Yes, 4 other leagues.

We have hit 3 other leagues on Maple Lake one night. Sylvia/Twin we have had similar results.

Etc, etc.

Its not so bad for some of the lakes to run into other leagues because there is a lot of water. The trouble comes when everyone wants to leave the lake at the same time. What a mess at the launch.

Not every week do we have problems, but its becoming much more of a problem. Every year there are more leagues forming by the looks of it.

We documented over 10 different leagues a couple years ago in the Wright County area, and got contact info for all of them to set up a meeting to try and combat the scheduling problems.

Only a rep from one other league showed up to our meeting.

Yea i would try to find a league that is already going. There is so many leagues going already that it would be easyer to just join one. Post something in the Tournament Forum and see if anyone replys with infor on leagues wink.gif

It is relly to bad, Nobody would start a fishing club in

Wright cty. I was part of a Mn. valley In-fisherman club that meets in Apple Valley. They have a multi-species system. Only $35.00 for the year, it covers having guys come to speak about fishing. They pick lakes in Dec. and fish all year around. Fishing Saturday, sunday or Monday, on the weekend and lake voted on. You pick which day to fish. Partners are picked at monthly meeting, Even guys who don't have boats get paired with someone that has a boat.

I fished with this club for 11yrs when I lived in Bloomington. I have gone back to be a guest speaker for a nite. Without the bucks in it, it gets to be more fun fishing.

As for the leagues already going, they should all meet and decide on lakes so they don't have 15-30 boats at the same landing at on the same nite.

I wasn't aware there were that many leagues in this area already. I will have to do a little checking to see if there is some room for me on one of the others.

We have openings in ours too for Bass Match Fishing smile.gif

If your interested in bass tournaments check out midwest sportsman league.

Thanks for the info guys. I enjoy walleye fishing more than bass so thats why I was looking for multi-species. Nothing against bass fishing of course, that is fun too!!

laugh.gif

shoot me an email, we have a bass, walleye, pike league and may have an opening. I can send you a lake list and our commisioners email.

P.s. walleyes are more heavily rewarded as they are harder to catch.

I belong to one of the very first multi-species fishing leagues that was developed. We are out of monticello and fish on Thursday nights in wright county. My dad has belonged to the league longer than I have but when I beacame his fishing partner over 10 years ago you never saw another league. Now every Thursday night you can expect atleast 2-3 leagues out fishing. I think we were part of that 4 league night out on Sugar too! If you do start a league,make sure you allow your teams to score their fish out on the lake with another boat to allow for better C&R practices. I have seen several leagues bring their fish up to shore at night in bags, nets and pails and wait in line for some head guy to score the fish. When the fish were done being measured they were just tossed back in the lake without making sure they were revived. Needless to say there were alot of fish floating on the water when these leagues got done. Are league is full for this year but the meeting is the last Thursday of March at the VFW in Monticello next year if you are interested. We start the the first thursday after opener on Buffalo I'm sure I will see atleast 3-4 leagues out their,Good Luck Fishing!!

Yeah, I love watching people walking dipnets full of fish from their trucks back down to the lake for measuring and weighing too...... confused.gif

What are people thinking?

We use bags and measure on the dock. There is nothing wrong with that as long as there is a little common sense used.

Hey Antler Creek,

Send me an email if you could.

mchristi@brocade.com

Yes, I have a nice black bag with handles from BPS. One thing I helped push this year is reducing from a 2 fish limit to a 1 person fish limit. Some Nights the bags would get absolutely ridiculous. There is no need to be hauling 15+ fish in a livewell & bag. It was the old rules that had been around for about 12 years so it was hard to argue to change it.

Yeah it only takes 1 or 2 of these bad leagues to give the rest of of us a bad name. The way we do it is that we encourage are teams to measure their fish with another boat when they get a few in the livewell or especially when they get a quality size fish. This way the fish that they catch are varified by another boat without having to be bounced around in the livewell all night. Then back at the access when fishing is over the teams report their catch for the night with me, the score keeper. This process really improves a fishes chance for recovery because their time spent in the livewell is greatly reduced.