Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Vermillion Adventure

16 posts in this topic

I'm gonna hit up the vermillion in my canoe on sunday. I fished it from shore this past weekend but the water was still on the chilly side...only caught 1 sheephead and 1 carp. I'm sure this weather will have no problem warming up the water for the crappies and white bass, but I'm hoping the water level will go down a little bit by then. Anyone take their boat out on the vermillion yet? Any news to report? Water temps?

Took my canoe out on sunday. Water is still pretty cold. Was able to catch a couple of channels and a sheephead. Had a good sunburn from it too. Fishing should be good within a week.

been out there about half dozen times since ice out. not much success for me. Water should settle down soon.

Went down on Wednesday, got their at 3pm, fished til dark, two fish, 1 walleye, and 1 white bass. Seemed to try everywhere for crappies also, but no takers. water temps seemed to hover around 50 degrees...water looked to be up probably 3-5ft or so, hard to tell. Anybody know any areas that are known community spots that people can catch crappies? We tried a lot of fallin down timber, but no luck.

I'll be targeting silvers more so than crappies, but I'll take either or. I'm hoping the temps will go up another couple degrees to get them fish active and ready for spawning. I always go up to the overflow dam at the mississippi, that's where I get all my action. Can only get back there in a canoe, even then you'd better have a pair of waders to get out and pull around the log jams. Fishing is more than worth the effort though.

Iv'e caught very few Crappies by luck on the Vermillion so far this year. It's been mostly Silvers which I have been targeting with mild success and occassional out of season Walleye that takes the minnow.

I was down there today. I caught many sheephead, but no crappies. It was a tough and wet bite.

Found some hungry brownies yesterday and 2 crappies. another good shore fishing day w/ the daughter. good memories laugh.gif

Because of my lack of success for silvers on saturday on the cannon river, I decided to ditch the canoe and just shorefish the vermillion on sunday. Caught a few sheephead and 1 little walleye. Maybe I'll give it 1 more shot next week.

The Silvers have been very pick taking mostly just minnows. But the waters are warmer now so they should be hitting jigs & spinners.

When the bite gets slow try a drift bobbering or tip a minnow with a jighead and do just slow retrieves.

I found the Silvers to be quite active in the shallow flooded timbers all day long.

JBMaster, Went out on the Vermillion on sunday 4/22/07 fishing for crappies, no luck though. Did catch a sheephead, a 29 1/2" northern, and a handfull of 15 1/5" or so white bass. All off the same lure. Gonna try this weekend. Keep me posted how you do.

I have fished out of the boat there a few times last year, late summer. Spring is a defined time for teh 'ol fuzz-e-grub tipped w/minnow.

Went out last night with a buddy to catch some bottle bass before dark... Parking lot had a dozen or more vehicles, saw alot of sheephead caught. We didn't fish to hard, rods in rod holders trolling, did alittle jigging but didn't catch anything worth while.

Took the boat out last night , only 1 other boat launched at the same time, they caught all sheephead. We caught a bunch of sheephead and 1 white bass-pretty decent too but no crappies..

is there a decent population of either species of catfish in there, and where is the launch at?

If your going there from cottage grove, then you'll be driving down hwy 61, once your in hastings you take a left on 10th street, the access is a few miles down.

There's a few cats in there. I saw a guy last year catch a 15 pound blue cat. I couldn't tell you about flatheads though, I suppose there's some in there with all the junk laying on the bottom of the river for them to hide in.