• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hmong Fisherman? I am!

Nyob Zoo!

Fishrman: thank for joining the talk. Great post too. I think the only reason this post wasn't deleted was because this issue NEEDS to be addressed. When I first posted, I was actaully kinda jittery about the responses....but to my surprise...the FM community is very accepting and full of great, honest fisherman of all colors. I'm from the west metro, maybe we can wet some lines sometime. HAPPY JIGGIN!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• magic_minnow

• nofishfisherman

• fisherman-andy

• vister

Hmmm...not only that but talk about the trash, garbage, and littering done to the environment...Yep I was fishing and some people left, looked like they picked up some of their garbage and still left a good amount of litter - mainly lure packaging, but they left it in the parking space where they parked their car.

Well I don't think that these were Hmong fishermen, but they were Hmong and they were fishing... grin.gif I think they were more like litter bugs.

Quote:

Hmmm...not only that but talk about the trash, garbage, and littering done to the environment...Yep I was fishing and some people left, looked like they picked up some of their garbage and still left a good amount of litter - mainly lure packaging, but they left it in the parking space where they parked their car.

Well I don't think that these were Hmong fishermen, but they were Hmong and they were fishing...
grin.gif
I think they were more like litter bugs.

How do you know they are hmong? are you hmong? We hmongs look kind of alike to other asians and others have mistaken us for another asian nationality. I know I have been mistaken for being laotian, Thai, vietnamese, chinese, and even mexican but I told them that I'm hmong and they said ohh, and I just smile smile.gif.

Quote:

Nyob Zoo!

Not sure what this means, but i am guessing it's Hmong!?!

Now see if we all spoke Hmong we wouldn't have this problem of not understanding what everyone is saying on this forum.

J/K guys! Although.... What the heck does that mean?

So my buddy and I were fishing tonight in Center City where North and South Center lakes meet up. We were fishing from shore and across the channel from us were a couple of Hmong families. 4 local knuckledragging douchebags from South Center came through the channel twice with their motor tilted out of the water spraying the Hmong folks fishing along the shore. I tried to get the hull ID number off of this Green and tan 18' Lund with a 115 johnson or evinrude but it was so small it wasn't readable. I hope you or someone you know reads this and realizes what a bunch of <Insert Vulgarity Here> you are. This kind of crap is ridiculous. The sad thing is that it seemed this probably wasn't the first time something like this happened as even though the Hmong folks were wet, they really didn't seem to let it bother them (Plus they outfished my buddy and I tenfold.) Good luck and thanks for keeping it legal! Sorry you have to put up with this kind of crap.

Quote:

Quote:

Well I don't think that these were Hmong fishermen, but they were Hmong and they were fishing...
grin.gif
I think they were more like litter bugs.

How do you know they are hmong? are you hmong? We hmongs look kind of alike to other asians and others have mistaken us for another asian nationality. I know I have been mistaken for being laotian, Thai, vietnamese, chinese, and even mexican but I told them that I'm hmong and they said ohh, and I just smile smile.gif.

You could just simply ask, "Are you Hmong?" Then you get a straight answer. I don't ever assume someone is of some ethnicity. These days people can be half this half that, quarter this, quarter that and you can't make that assumption.

It always hurts me to hear when discrimination happens to anyone. We seem to forget that at one point or another we or our ancestors were imagrants (unless you are native american). If you look back in history every ethnic group who came here were discriminated against. Did we all forget the days of why Sweed Hollow was created. Not to point out just the people from Sweeded. Even when the original imagrants sailed across the big pond in the mayflower it was because they were being persecuted because of how they wanted to worship. I wonder how they were treated when they arrived here. If the Native Americans thought they looked wierd because they didn't wear animal clothing and their skin and hair color was different. I know how fustrating it is with dealing with people who do not take care of the environment. I also pick up trash after other Hmong people who leave trash and it bothers me to, but I pick up trash after alot of other ethic groups also. One thing I don't understand is this. The hmong people and other asian imagrants have only been here for a short time so they don't understand conservationism, but what excuse do all the other people who were all ready here for generations have for trashing our environment. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to give a little perspective. Yes some Asian people do leave trash and yes some Asian people do not follow the laws, but it's not just only the Asian people. I do recall a car that was pulled over a few years back with like a hundred sunfish...I also recall that they were not Hmong or Asian. I wonder if you were to ask the DNR for a hystory of arrest for poachers (fish and mamals) if imagrants top their list. If anyone could get that info that would be interesting. I wonder how the Native Americans feel how we all have desecrated the environment and this nation. I love bass fishing. I fish in a small bass club who consist of hmong bass fisherman. We have about 15 boats and all of them are very strong conservationist. I have also fished some of the Exreme club tournaments and have seen people people throw empty wrappers, bags, pop cans, bottles, and so fourth on the deck of their boats and when the wind blows or when they move from spot to spot all this stuff flies off their boat. That's trash IN the lake. I'm not picking on anyone because I am guilty of that also. I have lost a few hat's flying accross the lake. I know it happens. We just have to remember that we all need to work at this together.

Back to the main topic of what's legal and not legal. I called the TIP line yesterday because I saw a guy fishing with with an xrap and some bass spinnerbaits. The DNR asked me if he caught anything. I said no. He said they really can't do anything unless he is catching something out of season and or keeping it. So is it legal to catch fish out of season as long as you are not keeping them? If any one has a answer to that it would clear things up for me.

MM I would love to wet a line with you sometime. You just let me know when. This also goes for anyone else. I have tried to make it too some of the FM ice fishing events, but things have just come up.

There was this story I heard. Their was a gentlemen who had posted a challenge in a local bait store. It read..."I would like to challenge anyone to a fishing contest. I bet $20 I can outfish anyone. Your spot or mine." I thought that wasn't a bad Idea. If you think about it even if he lost all the time he got to go fishing with new people and new lakes for $20. A guide usually cost over $150. Hahaha.

I hope everyone is having a great day. I'm still debating wether I will go out this weekend or not since it is gonna rain. Good luck to you all who do make it out.

Quote:

I hope everyone is having a great day. I'm still debating wether I will go out this weekend or not since it is gonna rain. Good luck to you all who do make it out.

Rainy days are the best times to go out, riff raff don't like the rain so the good guys get the lakes all to themselves.

Johnny: Nyob zoo means "GREETINGS!" in Hmong. Sorry for that haha.

I'll be on the mighty Croix this saturday. Bringing my poncho. Ill update yall when I get back.

Yeah, everyone needs to pick up their own trash, ooh! and a stop chopping down the trees and branches! that's illegal. no wonder there are no good spot for fishing. Because of that.

Yeah you guys are right. When it rains is the best time for fishing. I have fished some bass tourny's when we probably should have gotten off the water(lightning in the distance). I'll try to get out this weekend if I can get the garage cleaned out. I have to work this weekend too so we'll see. Let me know if you have any luck.

MM you gonna remember your brother this weekend? hahaha

Quote:

Yeah you guys are right. When it rains is the best time for fishing. I have fished some bass tourny's when we probably should have gotten off the water(lightning in the distance). I'll try to get out this weekend if I can get the garage cleaned out. I have to work this weekend too so we'll see. Let me know if you have any luck.

MM you gonna remember your brother this weekend? hahaha

Im still waiting for the call................

waiting....

Quote:

Yeah, everyone needs to pick up their own trash, ooh! and a stop chopping down the trees and branches! that's illegal. no wonder there are no good spot for fishing. Because of that.

Oh gosh! that's terrible, especially when they'd be chopping down branches to use as rod holders.

I want the St. Croix report...

I went out last Thursday with my brother and my 9 y.o. son and fished for an hour before it got dark. Hit the swing bring and only managed a few small crappies and 3 white bass.

Almost didn't make it out after launching because I slipped (before getting on th plank at Beanies) and bruised my shin and buttock pretty bad.:( I also got wet. Good thing it wasn't cold or else that would have been the fastest fishing trip ever... wink.gif

Well...no luck on the Croix on Saturday 5/5/07. I manged 2 white bass, one was pretty big...maybe 2 pounds....put up a good fight too. Conventional methods were not working. Had to resort to plain hook and fathead minnow, cast it out and reel it in really fast. That was the only way I could manage a strike. Tried my whole arsenal. At least I didn't slip and fall hehe grin.gif

Quote:

Well...no luck on the Croix on Saturday 5/5/07. I manged 2 white bass, one was pretty big...maybe 2 pounds....put up a good fight too. Conventional methods were not working. Had to resort to plain hook and fathead minnow, cast it out and reel it in really fast. That was the only way I could manage a strike. Tried my whole arsenal. At least I didn't slip and fall hehe
grin.gif

grin.gif Wait a minute, you've just described one of the conventional methods...for white bass...

I'm glad you guys got out. As for myself..I didn't get to wet a line. I haven't heard much on white bass over the weekend. Most people didn't do so good. Missed fishing oportunity and it's back to work. Have a good week all.

Quote:

Well...no luck on the Croix on Saturday 5/5/07. I manged 2 white bass, one was pretty big...maybe 2 pounds....put up a good fight too. Conventional methods were not working. Had to resort to plain hook and fathead minnow, cast it out and reel it in really fast. That was the only way I could manage a strike. Tried my whole arsenal. At least I didn't slip and fall hehe
grin.gif

thats what you get for not calling me. I caught 3 white bass and 3 walleyes, 2 of them keepers. So yeah..... ha ha!!

I think you guys did better than us. Oh well...trout opener anyone?