Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
der vasservolf

Ice out and musky opening weekend

5 posts in this topic

I have a question for my musky fishing friends.

First, a little background. I get to come to Vermilion every August with my wife's extended family (this will be 5th year). I just got relocated to New York, and not only are we still coming in August, I somehow also got clearance to go on a guys fishing trip to Vermilion from June 2-9! The other thing is, I caught the musky bug last year, and now have a ridiculous number of musky lures. Though I have yet to catch a decent Vermilion musky, I'm confident that will change in 7 weeks!

We're staying at Vermilion Dam Lodge the first week of June, which I believe is also opening musky week. My question - since ice out hasn't even happened yet, do you think the musky will still be hanging around their spawning area, and perhaps a little lethargic and beat up? I know they'll be done spawning, but I read somewhere that they like to hang around for 2-4 weeks after spawning until they go to their summer haunts.

Any experience with Vermilion muskies during opening week of a late ice out? Do they like smaller lures this time of year?

I know, I should just hire a guide. And maybe I will... cool.gif

dv,

First, you will be staying in a very good area. The whole area surrounding you (south, east and west) is full of weedy bays and good spawning habitat. I like to fish there alot in June, and this year especially, there will likely be alot of fish that haven't dispersed yet.

I recommend you start with small to medium spinnerbaits and bucktails. Let the fish tell you what they want. Keep trying different lures and presentations until things start to happen. That's awesome you've got a week...should be able to figure some things out.

Good luck....

DV,

I would definetly hire a guide. If you are not familiar with the water a guide will surely shorten your learning curve. You can then take what you learned and apply it for the rest of yor stay. I would recommend Musky Tom or Ace's guide service. Both are very knowldgeable of the lake and the Musky patterns. I am sure there are others on the lake that are good also I just know these two characters. Go to (Contact Us Please) and you can get there contact info there. Good luck, don't sting em all and save a few for me.

Swen, Swen, how ya been?

Got to go out big fish hunten again.

laugh.gif

Tim dude gives pretty good advise.

Can't go wrong with hair, bucktail or spinnerbait...EASY on the arms also.

Hunt around, start smaller, start in weeds move out deeper.

Works for me.

Being so handsome has it's rewards but I really know little about a lot.

fishing is just what I do.

grin.gif

Enjoying the hunt is more of what it is about than numbers in my boat.

We do get fish but have fun doing it.

Start large myself figuring a large fish looking to eat lunch with less energy gets a full belly in one gulp.

Can go back to the movie.

smile.gif

But then I do mix it up an have fun.

Simply bring 12 lures.

Keep rest in cabin.

You will use them more an not spend so much time thinking about color, size an more on fish loacation.

Something to think about in mix of lures that fish'es --- HIGH, LOW, FAST, SLOW, LIGHT, DARK Keeping things simple.

Also add something LOUD, something BRIGHT an CRAZY for fun.

That should get ya some action come June.

Enjoy.

Keep on Rocken!

T.

Didn't think I'd hear from professional musky guides! Great websites by the way. Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. Hopefully my fishing partners don't share with my wife the part about using smaller bucktails and spinnerbaits, she'll wonder why boxes keep arriving on our porch from Rollie and Helens if all I need are lures I already had grin.gif

We always go in mid-August on the west end (White Eagle resort), so this part of the lake will be mostly new to me, but the location looks great on the map. Like Big Fish Hunt Tim said, there looks like lots of nice bays and structure around which should be good in early June.

And Musky Tom "Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo" dude, I'll start shallow and work deep like you said.

oooh, I can't wait