• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading to Minnehaha falls after work today......anyone have reports?

I'm headed down the dreaded stairway towards the bridge. Anyone fish this spot this weekend? Targeting crappies!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nofishfisherman

• Katman

• Johnny_Da_Der

• EBass

Just to report back...

Walleye was picking up.....crappies were very slow.....no cats.....minimal suckers......carps were on a frenzy. Lots of minnows everywhere and a few white bass were taken. Water is still pretty cold and low. Give it some rain and time....it'll come back up. grin.gif bye

I was down there yesterday (guy in the GB packers shirt), got a smallie, a buffalo, and a carp. The smallie was really black, and didnt put up any fight. I had two other carp but lost them on my 6lb line. Next time I will bring a net! Surprisingly the carp were all on mimmic minnows. wierd

I think I saw you fighting your monster! I was running up and down the creek for anything worth fishing for. I wasn't at the bridge because there was too many ppl. Good to see people catching fish! I think I'll wait for the water to come up a bit and fish other spots for a while. I'm sure that sandbar will hold whities once the water warms up a bit more. grin.gif

so to get to where you guys are talking about you have to go down the stairs by the falls! that is one hell of a hike.i took the kids down there and didnt even make it to the sip.thecreek looks very low too.i saw a group of 4 walking that way with poles so i assumed this was the way or is there another way,i thought i heard you can access the haha dump in by going down by the dog park?fdr

Yup. Down the stairs to the end then make a right. You'll see the bridge. Don't make my mistake....my first time there...my friend told me to look for a big rock...then right. I saw the big rock at the top of the hill before the stairs......then down the cliff side I went. BOY...was that muddy, dirty, and scary. I missed the part of look for the big rock, DOWN the stairs, then right towards the bridge. But the dog park will work too. Its a popular spot. Like they said in other posts....if you're staying past dark...go with a buddie. There are just some odd ppl there sometimes. But....Walk the creek...find a hole...and fish. You'll never know what will come out of it! grin.gif GL

Quote:

128 steps...and there not the greatest. lol

You REAP what you Sow...... Its worth the trek. There is a lot of fish to be had any time of year down there........

Very true! But I don't really mind going down. Its the coming back up part I dread! grin.gif GL and keep us posted!

I counted 133 steps on Sunday when I was there. But I was getting light headed toward the top so i might have started miss counting.

Sunday I say a carp and a white bass caught, nothing for me, just a light bite or two.

I am going to give it a little while to warm up and then head back down.

And yes the buddy system is a good idea down there. I have run into some strange folks. And a few groups of kids screwing around looking for trouble.

Those steps seem to change everytime I'm there! grin.gif I swear going back up, I was at 1 million steps! But I'd say you are correct. I'd wait a bit before going back. There are a few regulars there...but that spot seems to attract lots of weirdos too. Try walking a ways down or up the river. When the water is up...the action gets pretty good!

It'a 132 if you count the wood ones at the bottom... grin.gif

Until we get some rain and I mean a lot of rain lake Minnetonka will not open the Dam which means we won't have the necessary flow for productive fishing.

What stairs are you taking down, I don't remember any wood steps on the stairs that I take down.

I tend to go down the stairs near the pay parking lot down to the left of the falls a 100 yards in the corner of the little plaza area.

Is there another set of stairs around there besides the one I take and the ones right at the falls?

It's about a block from where the Creek enters the River on the Hiawatha Ave "hyw 55" side of the park there are 2 pay lots but you can park on the street for free you'll see a big rock and a chain head down the path you'll see the stairs.

I did count 133 stairs this morning....but I was tired... grin.gif this will save you time getting to the mouth versus walking from the Falls.

i haven't been up to that spot for 5 yrs. and for good reason, there are too many. i have seen some nice fish come out just a ways down from the mouth of the creek. the walk out about killed me every time we went there. maybe try it again this summer.

cool, thanks.

I'll have to give that a shot tonight. never hurts to save a few steps.

This can be a great spot....but you just have to watch yourself...and others. Don't be suprised to see a bank and bridge full at any given time. Its a very popular and random spot. But I just love the random fish that you can catch here.....makes things fun. Hope to see you guys there sometimes.

A few fish were caught there last night, nothing spectacular, few white bass, and a good sized carp. Lots of jumping fish, and fishing spots were hard to come by most of the night.

Thanks for the follow up! I think I'm heading out there Thursday after work....see what I can bring up. grin.gif

I might be down tonight. Stopped by Dicks Sporting Goods to get crawlers but they were out. Trying to find another place close by that I can get crawlers, if I find some I'll be down.

I won't be down again until next week otherwise.

I'd be out there too if I didn't have to show my sell my fish tank at 6:30. By the time I get home in Blaine...I wouldn't want to come back to the falls. I think I'll hit coon rapids to prefish spots before the tourney. Anyone hitting the Carp tourney in June?

I was down between 6:30-9:00 last night.

Less people last night with more fish. Mostly walleye last night with a few white bass and an odd carp or mooneye.

I caught one nice walleye and a moon eye on a jig and a gold plastic paddle tail shad. Everyone else was using live minnows on a jig. There was one spot that was more productive then the rest so most of us ended up with a couple fish while one guy caught alot more.

I won't be back until next week but I think the fishing should hold for awhile.

Nice Nofish! I think I'll hangout there on Thursday for sure. Just to catch up on some fishing! Thanks for the report.

Walleye seem to be right on the edge of the current. Once you get into the slower water you'll start to see more white bass and other type of fish.

Good Luck. Don't let the stairs get the best of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run those steps and the valley when I was in high school, now that's a workout! I don't like the amount of people fishing that spot, but otherwise it's a good time. Lots of the smallies I have caught there are almost black, kinda odd.

I have started to run up the steps 2 at a time on my way back to the car lately. I am huffing and puffing pretty good by the time I get to the top for sure.

The place does get a little crowded but its one of the better shore spots around.