Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappie101

smelt run 2007

14 posts in this topic

does anyone know the date the smelt ran on pokegema was last year '06. I was there and it was fantastic. I would realy like to time myself for this year so any info will be greatly appreciated.

its usually right when the ice goes off. Im guessing thats at least a week away. I was walking on it yesterday. There is still alot of ice.

thanks please keep me posted on the ice out

Last year Pokegama lake smelt. My parents live less than a 1/2 mile from sugar brooke. Going to college I was able to stop by almost every nite last year to watch to the run begin,peak,fade. Just have to watch the weather.

camera116.jpg

camera094.jpg

Good times with buddies.

i spent 6 days last year out there and walked down to the mouth every night and no smelt. Then the 6th night i desided to stay by the culvert and filled up 4 buckets in about 30 minutes.

Is it easy to find a place to smelt? I always wanted to do this. We tried once in duluth but did not time it right.

it is fun and easy but ity is all timing

Thanks - My dad lives near Pokegama so I am going to ask him to keep an ear open for reports.

thanks for all the help guys

Looks like rain and warm weather this weekend shouldn't be long for those smelt now

Anyone see how the ice is out on Pokegema.

got about a gallon of smelt tasted gooooood but still slow coming in to the river caught a few at the culvert after the storm but worth the time. good luck all. I THINK TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

Do you use dip nets up there or can you seine them?

most people are using dip nets but a few were draging nets the storms the last couple of nights scared most people and smelt away from the river even me lastnight. GOOD LUCK ALL

Is there a preferred time of day for smelting?

Is there any chance they will still be running this weekend?

Thanks,

Wayne