• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting started in fly tying

duckcall

My son and I want to get started in fly tying. I have been looking at diferent tools and kits. I am not flush with money, and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment in case we decide we don't want to make this a continueing hobby. My thought was to get a decent vise and some tools, then get the hooks and materials to start with a few common patterns. Does anyone have suggestions as to vise and tools for a reasonable price? What patterns would you reccomend? I will be both warm water fishing for bluegills and smallmouth, and trout fishing in NE Iowa and SE Minnesota. Thanks, Dave

At the risk of deletion, I recomend you do a search on the internet for fly anglers online. I make the recomendation because they offer things that FM does not. There are some great illustrated tutorials for tying, including discussion of tools and materials. The guys here know a lot, but this has photos and all, and pictures have really made a big difference in my learning curve.

I got started on my own with their online tutorials, fwiw.

As with anything fly fishing related, entire books are written on merely the "getting started" part of fishing or tying.

I'd steer away from kits. Once you buy a decent vise and the essential tools, consider buying just the materials that you need for one fly whether it's a woolly bugger, pheasant tail nymph, etc. Once you get the motions down for that one fly, then branch out to others.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Is there any good, but not overly expensive vises that I should look at? Does it matter if it is a spring or cam style? If we like tying we would probably buy a better vise in the future. I am just afraid that this will turn into another expensive hobby, Like making duck and deer calls. laugh.gif Dave

Hey...thats mine! grin.gif I actually went with a griffin vise and some tools from Bob's fly shop. I think I spent about 80 bucks total for vise, tools, and materials to start tying wooley boogers, Mc Fly eggs, and some nymphs. I sat at the shop for a bit while they showed me how to tie each. The tricky part for me was the whip finish but now I can almost do it as smooth as the pros. The vise isn't a fancy one....but it'll do the job. I'm sure I'll upgrade sometime later on...but for now...I'm happy with my flies and vise! grin.gif I guess it will depend on how into this you are. I don't see this as an "expensive" hobby...but I can see how we can get carried away and make it expensive wink.gif Good luck to you and just remember to ask LOTS of questions!

I don't have a fly shop nearby, so I just ordered a vise and tools from Janns Netcraft. I bought a moderately priced vise, the best scissors that they sold and various other odds and ends. I got a bobbin and threader, a whip finisher, a bodkin, tweezers, hair stacker, hackle pliers and a bottle of water based head cement. I have a gift cert. to a major sporting goods store in Iowa City, so when I go to get my daughter from college I will use that for hooks and materials. If you can think of anything that I am missing let me know. I am also let handed, will that matter when it comes to tying? Will I be doing everything backwards(as usual smile.gif)Thanks again for the help, Dave

DUCKCALL, IM NOT SURE WHAT AREA YOU ARE FROM BUT I HAVE A COUPLE VIDEOS AS WELL AS A BOOK ON FLY TYING I NO LONGER NEED OF IF YOU COULD USE THEM, YOUR MORE THAN WELCOME TO THEM.

Luckycrank, that would be great. I tried to send you a pm but couldn't get it to work. My e-mail is [email protected] You can e=mail me and we can try to set something up. Thanks a lot for the offer. Dave

Hey Duck: If you're traveling through Decorah on your way to Iowa City stop and give me a yell. I teach a fly fishing class here at the local college and I'd be glad to share thoughts and let you look at materials and vises as well.

Mouse, I was just in Decorah yesterday picking up fly rods from the DNR for a class this weekend. Are you a member of TU? I think I might go to the meeting on the 3rd. I want to discuss fly fishing merit badge for Boy Scouts with the group. I live north of New Hampton, so Decorah isn't that far. Dave

Don't know if I'll make it to the meeting on the 3rd or not, but the folks that are there can be very helpful. If you'd like to get together sometime shoot me an email.