Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkunkedAgain

Off-Limits At Opener

10 posts in this topic

In a previous thread, I saw some talk amongst folks that the DNR could close Pike Bay for opener. In what other areas might this occur? Black Bay?

Does anyone know when or if the DNR will make such decisions?

I actually just emailed the dnr with that very same question a few days ago and got a response today. They said they have not decided on Pike Bay yet, but if we get some warm weather to make up for the cold weather we should be fine. I believe Pike Bay is the only area that would close as he said they will not close the whole lake.

Pike Bay would be the only part of the lake that would be closed for the first week if the DNR decides to close it.

Cliff

When do you think this ice is out? Am I right to assume that the ice is off the pike, east two and west two rivers now and probably the shallower parts of Pike Bay?

As of yesterday the Pike River, East Two, and West Two Rivers were still mostly frozen, but starting to open.

Pike Bay is still frozen over.

Cliff

After all that warm weather. Duane told me that they were planning on getting the trap out tommorow and maybe starting to strip fish.

Always a hoot watching boats get so close to bouys in Pike Bay when she is closed during odd springs.

Troll right up next to markers, cast to imaginary line.

grin.gif

TO funny.

Like the fish hang inside the line an only come out when DNR markers are lifted? Or no one is looking.

shocked.gif

Watch it all from my docks.

Where by the way there are no fish.

Only Four Hairy Marauders, one White an three Red..

Everyone knows - NO FISH BY MY DOCKS!!

cool.gif

EVER!!

Keep on Rocken!

T.

Tom -

I agree with the comedy of watching people anchoring as close to the buoy as possible.. It must be like watching a good movie from your dock... which, by the way, I can attest to that there are no fish by.. ever... crazy.gif not sure why that is.. maybe the marauders are doing too much deep diving? tongue.gif

The only thing that closing Pike Bay does to me on opener is keep me from fishing near our dock, which, by the way, only has fish when my boat is near it... or my brother's, but otherwise, nothing! shocked.gif Well, that and it makes it a pain to get through the narrows, since it seemed like the last couple of years, no one leaves a nice path open to get through anymore... mad.gif maybe the DNR should mark a trail through there too! tongue.gif Nah... I'll just go through slow and watch the comedy unfold. cool.gif

Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll be seeing you all on opener in a new ride! New to me at least.. I should know by the tomorrow or Friday if all went as planned...

Yeah that narrows and the one over in Everetts is full of them. Trying to get through to get gas is always hectic. Next time I tie on some big daredevils on planerboards with 80 pound line and cruise through snagging all them lines. tongue.gif

Rumor has it you got that ride. Congrats.

Rumor has it right, and thanks! laugh.gif

If there was space on the stern, I'd put "Nuthin' Fancy" on it. If for no other reason, than that's what it is. grin.gif That, and as a tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd, cool.gif but I digress.

I picked up an '83 Crestliner Explorer, 16', with a 75 hp Evinrude. Dark Blue on top, white on bottom, single console. Just finished putting on the new trolling motor, and 2 new seats on the pedestals. All in all a good deal, even with the 90 mile drive to pick her up.

I'm taking her out for the maiden voyage on Saturday. Gotta make sure that everything is in good order for opener.