• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bad Time to Be A Jake

HateHumminbird

The pressure on jakes and subordinate toms has been ratcheting up with the warmer weather. I'm seeing groups of jakes getting chased around in the fields early morning, and later in the day, crossing roads in droves. A few days ago, I saw a group of 6 making a bee-line for a wooded river bottom that's not known for holding too many turkeys. It's my assumption that they're looking for a bit of relief from the older toms that have really stepped up efforts in recent weeks.

This morning I saw 3 jakes amidst 17 hens and 9 gobblers, but the jakes did nothing but feed. They stuck together and acted like hens for the most part, which is why I'm guessing the gobblers tolerated their presence. That and they were so busy fighting amongst themselves.

You talk about henned up though; us early season guys will be sticking to strut zones and general locations of high turkey activity, lest we feel cocky enough to call in the entire flock.

Joel

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to you Joel, for your excellent reports and the info that you share here...I'm gonna be honest, I'm almost going insane here at work thinking about turkey hunting (I'm season D, area 342) and I am constantly scouring this and many other forums for info and reports. It really helps a guy like me in the Northern suburbs know what is going on, because I can't get down to scout until my season is almost here due to work constraints...so I just wanted to say a big thanks to you and everyone else who posts, and to just encourage you boys to keep 'em coming!!! grin.gif

Wally:

Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it! Thanks to others here that do the same, as I'm in the same boat as Wally. I simply cannot get enough, and the more I learn, the more I realize just how much there is to still be learned. It's a fun way to prepare yourself for a season that seems to take 18 months to come each time around; then, when it's upon you, you wished you had a bit more time to prepare and hone your skills. I'm a week out before being thrown into the fire, and I can't wait myself.

My arrows are currently acting up on me, and I might be taking the shotgun out of necessity rather than preference at this point. We'll see if I can get things straightened out in one short week.

Joel