Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mdspider

Walleye, walleye, why do you mock me?

14 posts in this topic

My buddy and I went fishing at Everts. People were pulling in fish around us but someone must have put the stink on us because we got skunked! It wasn’t a big bite day, some medium to small walleye and sauger. We would fish a hole a good 30 minutes or more and not get a bite. Once we would leave someone would fish the same hole and pull up a fish. We hit the wing dams and fished the shoreline with no luck, well almost no luck. (Does carp count?) We tried jigging ringworms (strawberry, chartreuse, speckled, and forest green), 5/8 jig heads, ¼ oz. and just about every other tactic we could thing of. The only thing that I can think of was that were both were using Fireline. Any suggestions for me or should I sell my tackle and take up needle point?

The river is like that. Sometimes it can make you look like god's gift to walleye fishermen, other times, like you don't deserve to own a boat.

Mike Walerak, Mark Stanley, and I were down there Sat., and Mike and I fished Fri. as well. What I can tell you from our outings and what we saw around us was that most people were not catching fish, and those that were seemed to have no rhyme/reason to it.

We were fishing a current seam using a livebait rig with some success, though bites were the kind you had to work for. After a few fish, we got sick of the crowd "tightening the noose" so to speak, and tried our best to re-create the bite in calmer waters. It didn't happen for us, but such is fishing, esp. Pool 4.

Fish seemed scattered at different depths and falling to different presentations, but not enough at any one location/presentation to get too excited. The largest fish of the day came from a shallow pitch and Chart. B-fishn Paddle-tail on the end of Mark's line.

I'm looking forward to some warmer stable weather to put fish into more traditional early summer spots. Don't feel bad either, the bite is tough now with only a few bright-spots in a generally mediocre backdrop down there at the current time.

Joel

I was skunked 5 times in a row going for dem walters. Thus I stopped and started fishing for bass on p4. That's not all that either, but better than a stick in the eye.

Thanks Joel. It's almost like a spy vs spy video game. Walleye fisherman crack me up. If someone is catching fish everyone crowds around you. Some of them will give you space, others will darn near climb in your boat with you.

EBASS, I'm a computer guy also. I don't think I work too far from you. I work in Minnetonka in the Opus park.

I was with mdspider Saturday. Last fall when we fished the wingdams he caught another guys anchor!! This weekend, someone caught ours......

Always interesting--

You're not kidding about the rude behavior on the river. The worst of it for me came from some very well sponsored wrapped boats. We weren't killing 'em, but were getting a few on a current seam and all of a sudden here he comes and drops anchor. Blocked off the drift for everybody. I fish a ton of bass tournaments so I am not anti tournament by any means. It seemed to me the guys in the walleye tourney on pool 4 Sunday used their anchors with the intent to block other boats out of productive areas. mad.gif Made me mad enough to contemplate sending a letter or email to the company and let them know how their pro staff is promoting the product. Will probably let it go now that I've settled down a day later. On the fishing side of things, we managed to get a real hawg up to the boat before breaking it off. Probably in the 28" plus range. Other than that it was small walleyes, we fished shallow all day looking for bigger fish, didn't try the deeper spots closer to the dam.

MAybe next time you just tilt your motor up, turn it in his direction and give her a little boost, eh? Nothing like a cold shower to wake a person up!

It's a tough deal with all the traffic down there. So much of the ethical side of it is a judgement call, and we all seem to have our different tolerances for such behavior. While not sticking up for the tourney guys, I do know that they have no problem being boat-to-boat, as that's what they're used to. However, I know what you mean with the number of stickers on their boat relating directly to the agressiveness and shamelessness of some anglers smile.gif

That said, anchoring was our main technique, one I feel we needed to use in order to get the fish we did. No different than the guys who drifted an area again and again to claim it to themselves. So who's in the right? The anchoring or drifting technique? Compound that with the handliners zigging back and forth upstream, and you've got a mess! This grey area is why we left!

We ended up with 2 jigs in our anchor rope as well smile.gif

As for rude behavior, these guys are expected to be at the pinnacle of their profession, yet need to be courteous at the same time. I have never experienced rude behavior from sponsor-laden boats, but rest assured that I would be more than willing to contact sponsors relaying such information if I had. In the end, they're just fish!

Joel

It is very frustrating down there some times. I think it is part of the fun. I love watching some of the antics that go on. I love it the most counting how many boats you can get near to you within 5 minutes of catching a fish. Boats trying to anchor, others zig zagging, some drifting, some drifting faster, some getting snagged, some pitching shallows... And all within casting distance. Why not right. How many lures and rigs could I pull up with if I trolled through with some lead line and a bunch of dare devils and rapalas crazy.gifconfused.gif. Sorry... Hate to give any one bad ideas.

My son and I were down there as well on Sunday. The barge side looked like a parking lot. I took my time and worked through all the boats and moved up close to the lock. We caught fish, none real large, but nobody seen us bringing them up and therefore we basically fished alone most of the day. We were amused by all the positioning and watching everyone was half the fun

Lucky no one saw you, you'd have them spot hawks all over ya. One thing I hate about down there; but that ain't gonna change.

I have two stories about the hawks on P4... a few weeks ago, my son and I made it out there before sun-up. We headed up from Everts to the "Y" and tucked in close - jigging and dragging from the shallows to just below the drop off. I caught a 23"er on the third pass. Lo and behold, a 'pro' in a Ranger pulls right up next to me, basically bouncing off the tree that lies in the water. As I drifted down slightly, he pull right up and drops anchor! The guy has his name stenciled on his Johnson (ha ha) - I'll only give his first name "Troy". I had all I could do from pitching a 6 oz sinker into the side of his boat - instead I made small talk, finding out that he fished the tournies and guided. Seemed like a nice enough guy but I would never pull a stunt like that.

Last weekend, I was dragging jigs in the same general area - staying away from the boat parking lot - trying the work the main current seam coming from the roller side - and some guy tools by close behind me, fast enough to be pulling a wake. Evidently, he caught my line in his prop as the line screamed off my reel and totally snapped off. Considering I was using 20lb fireline for my main line, I wonder how his prop seal looks these days?!?! Unbelieveable... how hard is it to see that a guy is longlining/dragging a jig well behind his boat? I thought I was being considerate by fishing in water with higher current, staying out of they way of the stationary jigger...

I'm done with P4 for a while - will be spending my time on the Croix...

mad.gif

That sucks! There are more than enough fish to go around. You would think that a “professional” angler would be more considerate. Try down the road at in Ellsworth. I have found it to be productive in the past with a little more breathing space. I have found out that common sense isn’t so common these days.