• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

limping lab

kooba

Hello guys. Need some advice. I have a male yellow lab that weights 70lbs at 9 months old. He started limping on the front left leg on Thursday. We were out for our walk on Wed. night and we met a couple other dogs, they were playing and running all over the place. I don't know if he got hurt then or on thurdays walk. I had him out today and he walked around the yard and ran alittle. didn't seem to bad then went into the kennel and favored the leg a little. I checked the paw, rubbed around the leg. Would you guys get this checked out right away or give it a few more days and see what happens? I just hope its nothing serious. What are some things I could do to check him myself? Thanks, kooba.

When I saw the header, the 1st thing that popped into my mind was "how old is the dog?". Then I read he's 9 months old and 70lbs, (pretty good sized for 9 months)... I bet you got a case of pan-osteitis... or growing pains.

It is caused by the bones growing to rapidly and usually afflicts dogs between 8-12 months of age... I see it a lot more often in big males than in other dogs. Sometimes it 'travels' around the legs over a couple of weeks time, sometimes it afflicts just the one leg... it has been mis-diagnosised as Lymes disease several times. It is not rare. I've seen it many times and the dogs are almost always 9-10 months old.

Watch him for a couple days and see if it gets better. You can help him with a St. Joseph's baby aspirin to help with the pain if you want. If it persists over a couple days, bring him in for an x-ray. I've yet to see a dog break a bone or get a bad sprain playing, but I gues there is always a chance... as I've said in many posts... a visit to the vet may be in order just to calm your concerns, an office call is usually pretty cheap.

Hope that helps...

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks Labs for reponding so quickly. Thats some good news if it is only growing pains. I will give it a few more days and see if it gets better. IF not, will bring him in. My vet also said to give him a aspirin too. Did that right away. He is a big boy, just don't want anything to serious to happen to him. KOOBA.