Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishDepot

Weekend happenings??

5 posts in this topic

Lots and lots of boats on P4 over the weekend. Someone had to be doing something somewhere. I know it was not me. Who was it, how was, where was it?

I saw only 2 fish boated Saturday and two Sunday. I never fished up by or even close to the dam though. How was it?

Was up on the lock side today. Lots of boats. Some drifting downstream, some dragging jigs upstream, some dragging cross ways, was real interesting. We did real well boating appr. 25 sauger betwenn 16-19.5 inches. Released all but six of the smaller ones. Only 3 walleyes. I thought the key to us was going downstream, one pole was a jig and minnow and the other was a jig and paddletail, bit an inch of the paddletail to make for a smaller presentation. Kept very vertical and just held 4-6" of bottom, no jigging motion at all, just slammed them. Most people were dragging and didn't seem to be doing as well. Some of the sauger were dropping eggs in the net.

Pulled into a quiet backwater between Redwing and the dam Sunday morning and on my first cast (of the day and the season) I hooked into somthing VERY large; I figured it was probably a big cat... what I finally batteled up to the boat was the biggest carp I have ever seen. I pulled a 43" northern through the ice on URL a few years ago, this carp was easily as long and looked like it swallowed a basketball. My buddy went after it with the net but the net was too small, the fish wouldnt fit so he threw the net down to go after it with his hands; the pig took one last dive and my jig pulled out of its mouth.

The state record carp is somthing like 42" long with a 31" girth... boy I wonder.

Besides that we boated two walleyes, both cpr'd. It was a heck of a morning to be on the river.

I was there Saturday from 6am to 3:30 and had a slow day of it. I say carp being landed. I didn't catch even 1 fish! shocked.gif

I hate to say it but slow over in Trempealeau as well. 10 hrs. invested, 7 of us, 8 keepers outta bought 20 altogether. Didn't see a lot of action from anyone else either. Real disappointing... next week!!!