• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Washington Fishing Reports-Meeker Co.

I am wondering about opening the season on Lake Washington or Lake Stella. Did anyone catch any "Walters" on those lakes during the winter season? I remember years ago when Washington was listed in the StarTribune as one of Ron Shara's hot dozen. Hoping for a reply....and good luck on the opener.

I didnt get out there my self this winter but from what i heard it was really slow. It was really a hit or miss deal. Good Luck cool.gif

I never made it out there myself, But like everyone else is saying, it was very slow.

I believe that lake has been fished so much in the past few years that its really hit and miss out there now.

Went out a few times at first ice last winter. Lots of perch and lots of small walleyes, a few keepers. Milfoil and smallmouths have taken over that lake.

I have a cabin out on Washington. Last summer was TERRIBLE for walleyes. Very frustrating going out fishing basically knowing you have a 5% chance of catching a walleye. I would try somewhere else or just wait until bass season opens. The bass have been thriving and you can catch some very nice size fish on both Stella and Washington.

Thanks all for the replies. Do you catch those smallies on that rock up straight out from the launch, or are they close to the milfoil edges? Were you casting or backtrolling the edges?

The problem with Washington is the introduction of MilFoil. We have been on the lake for nearly 25 years. All the "goto spots" are no longer the "hot spots" (some cases) due to the increased vegitation around the lake. The walleyes can pretty much live/feed in the weeds and not many people want to pull 6 feet of milfoil of their Rapala®. They no longer need to search to rock bars at night for shiners because they are now scattered everywhere. Washington has a history of plentiful walleyes, just not easy to access.

I do agree however, that last year was tough. My best outings of the season was in the middle of summer (July).

Bobbers..Bobbers...Bobbers

I can't say much for washington this past winter as I have not fished it for many years, but I did do rather well on Stella this past winter.Looking forward to hitting it for crappies here very soon. There are some very nice ones to be caught in this lake.

bobbers. I agree. Fish bobbers. Even lighted bobbers. Walleyes4me, are you talking walleyes on Stella in the winter or crappies?

I meant walleyes this past winter and looking forward to fishing crappies there shortly.

I haven't fished Washington for quite some time, but when I did, I found the walleyes to be on the inside edge of the weedline in ~3' of water.

Even that was slow for me last year and I hit it pretty hard the first few weeks. And I mean sloooooooow. Other guys who I know that camp on the lake didn't have any luck either besides some SM bass and an occasional pike, but the walleye were non-existent last year.

Yeah, I don't know what to say about that lake anymore. Each year this lake comes up as a discussion point. Like others have said though, with all the milfoil, pitching jigs or corks to weed pockets might be a person's best bet. Locating any hard bottom or transition areas may be helpful too.

Personally speaking, I probably won't fish this lake for quite some time yet as there are other, less frustrating lakes to put in on. smirk.gif

I grew up less than a mile from Washington, and over the past 5 years have watched it turn from a great lake to a dead sea! My dad hasn't even put the house out in the winter for the past 2 years b/c it has been soooooo slow! It is a combination of the over fishing, milfoil, pelicans and cormarnats (spelling off) that has lead this lake to its distruction! It is also a very shallow lake and these past years of low water have helped the milfoil the flurish!

• 3 years later...

I see the DNR/inspector will be on the Ellsworth ramp on the opener according to the Lake Association news letter. Looking for and educating boaters about milfoil. Good job by the association.

Caught a skunk on Washington Saturday. I wish I had read this string before I went and would have went to Mille Lacs! We tried Stella as well. Fished 4-dark. The guys I talked to had 1 or 2 fish, max. HOWEVER, we didn't try the inside weed edge as eyepatrol suggests. Now I have to go back! With no wind and bright sun I'm sure the Walters were in the shade (milfoil), we just couldn't get 'em to bite. Good luck.

I tried for a few hours this past Sunday and got nothing. My dad has had a cabin out there since 1986 and the past few years have been pretty bad for walleyes. 3 years ago was ok, but the past 2 have been slow.

Since I fish out there quite a bit, I have made the decision to fish for bass and panfish this year. The weeds are already brutal for lindy rigging and its not even June 1st yet.

I believe its called milfoil. No matter where it is, it becomes a bad situation.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was out on Washington yesterday...couldn't believe how empty the access was. Then I figured out why after 5 hours of fishing. We caught one 12" eye, a 3 lb smallie, and lost two decent fish that were on and off too quick to tell what they were. We also caught a few small perch. Trolling was the only way to get a touch, and we did the best (if you could call it that) from 4-5'. I'm wondering if we should have gone shallower. Visibilty is < 1'. I'm wondering if the fish even use their eyes in that lake? Man it was green. I was thinking the bite would improve in the evening, but with how colored it is the fish must think it's always night.