• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just though I would post an Observation.

For the last two years I have used Fireline almost all the time. The one thing I have found is NEVER and I mean NEVER fish vertical, with a bobber or jig, with out a mono or Fluorocarbon leader. If you do, your just wasting your time. I do not recall ever catching a fish on super braids vertically with out a leader. With my Aqua-Vu I could see fish come up but as soon as there upper lip would touch the line they would back up and swim away. I honestly think this is due to the abrasiveness of the line.... Not because the fish can see it!

Today Tom M. and I were fishing. We were using the same thing but he was using fireline with no leader. I was using mono. 5 fish mono, 0 fish fireline with no leader. I could go on and on with the score being the same.

If there is only one thing I write this year, that you do. I hope it is to use a mono or Fluorocarbon leader when ever you fish vertical with fireline. Crystal Fireline? Why? It doesen't address the problem.

Thank you.

Water clarity plays a big role in this. I've done plenty of jig pitchin', casting, and vertical jigging around here after mid-June when those fish can't see more than 6" in front of their face. Now, I don't disagree with you but that all changes when the water clarity heads the other direction.

i first decided to try some fireline at the beginning of last year. i dont really seem to have a problem with it at all. it has actually caught about the same # of fish then if i just used mono. i honestly cant say i have ever had a problem with fish taking my lure or jig whatever the case may be without a leader. some of my buddies dont like to use it because they claim that fish can see it. i have to agree with u on that one tho. i do sometimes think they see ur line depending upon the water clarity like TO said. anyways i have actually had decent luck on fireline believe it or not. but i guess its all personal preference and choice of weather u like it or not smirk.gif

I think he was refering to the texture not being as supple feeling on the fishes mouth. I too will be using leaders on my superlines at all times. It's more of a confidence thing really if you believe you can catch fish with or without a leader its gonna happen. Once you have the confidence you can stop wondering if anything is around and pay more attention to every movement of your lure.

I am not selling somthing here. I love Fireline for trolling, cranking, jerkbaits and texas rigged worms. Put on a 1/16oz jig? All I can say is Good luck with fireline. You will be out fished!

i can honestly say i have never had a problem with fireline. the only thing i have to do different when it comes to using fireline is tie a different not so it doesn't slip or break lose. i like to use fireline during the ice fishing season also.

Never had a problem with fish biting fireline. I catch as many on it as I do on mono. What I do notice is the strike is not as good (some of you may argue this) but the sensativity as far as a fish striking the lure lightly is no match for mono in my book. With mono I can feel even the lightest hits especially if your drift bobbering with a minnow.

ill have top agree with u on that one. i like fireline almost better then regular mono because of the sensativity. i can also feel the lightest strikes that regular mono dont really detect. does anybody no if the color of fireline affects the fish? any inof would be great. thanks

I would guess if fireline doesnt feel quite right to a fishes lips, it probably wouldnt make a bit of difference what color line it is. I myself have never had a problem catching less fish then the next guy in the boat vertical jigging with fireline versus mono. Only thing with fireline I noticed is seemed to me like the smoke color frayed sooner than the green would. I just purchased fireline crystal to try and gonna try power pro also.

If the fish is touching the line with his lips... set the hook!

No problems vertical jigging with superlines here.

I've been using Power Pro for the last 2 yrs. & I like it much better than Fireline. Just my 2 cents.

L2f

Good info there Muddog. I found this out when I was fishing around the Brainerd-Nisswa area. Very clear water up there. I started using Fireline when it first came out. We were sight fishing crappies in the shallows in the spring time. I was being stubborn, and my bro in law was cleaning my clock with mono. Put on a leader and was in the money. I do it everywhere now.

I think it is funny that guys can sit there and say, "I've never had fish not bite my fireline because they could see it. I still catch my fair share" How do you know? Unless you have a camera down there all the time. You can't! He's just trying to make a suggestion on what he has found. He's not talking about pitching jigs, or jigging over 30' of water in late July. Don't worry muddog, I'm pickin' up what you're putin' down! grin.gif

Mr. Walleyee, go back and read Muddog's opinion:

Quote:

I honestly think this is due to the abrasiveness of the line.... Not because the fish can see it!

He isn't referring to the fish seeing the line. He is referring to the abrasiveness of the line. My contention is is that if the fish is feeling it, then you are a little too slow on the trigger.

Silly beginner question for ya about the "leader".

Do you tie mono leaders on all of your jigs and tie a loop on one end?

Or do you tie a blood knot between your line and the "leader"?

Or something else?

Thanks

It's true. Becase I think if fish see the line, you have there attention and that is half the game. With a brain the size of a pea, I don't think fish have a clue as to what fishing line is.

Stay safe in the box. Defend the line and maybe some day Pure Fishing will sponsor you.

Everything I read says; use a leader. It never says why.

Maybe we can put this to the test on Tetonka in few weeks.

Thank you mrwalleyee.

That dosen't sound like a beginner question to me. First, I always have a nip-n-knot or tie fast combo tool on me when fishing. 2nd, I do use a double for loop for tipits.

I did use a blood knot for super line to mono but had a hard time with it (tying it 3-4 times before it would lock). I now use two nail knots (bobber stoper ,snell knot) jamed togather.

No, I haven't used the double loop for super line to mono. I will now and post my findings.

Thanks Muddog.

One question leads to another...

I understand the double loop, nail and snell knot (animatedknots), but...

"I now use two nail knots (bobber stoper ,snell knot) jamed togather."

Sorry, hard time picturing that...Picture please.

Oh, and I assume you have a snap swivel on the end of your super line to attach to the double loop leaders, right?

I am a verticle guy, and use fireline dirrect 80% of the time. The bennefit I have found to using a Leader is you can upsize it a bit stay clear and slow down the fall of your jig. My 2 cents 10# crystal Fireline and 10#-8# Gamma Edge Fluorocarbon. Throw on your favorite Jig and Cent and Bam! grin.gif hang on.(I HAVEN'T NEEDED THE CAMERA SINCE I GOT AN FL20, BUT THE CAMERA IS ALWAYS IN THE BOAT IF NEEDED) cool.gif

I have been using a swivel to connect lines together. I also only use flourocarbon. I found that I can get away with a higher pound test line as long as I'm not worried about the action of the lure being impeded.

I have also used the small Spro swivels before to prevent line twist, but for the most part twist hasn't affected my setup so I leave that part out and tie a blood not. I will try the double nail not and report back if one is that much better or if one is just easier to tie.

The "I now use two nail knots (bobber stoper ,snell knot) jamed togather" is the same as the blood knot but the tag end goes back through the loops (snell knot).

I do find when I break the line from snags and such it always breaks on the leader end of the knot. As if the first turn on the fireline pinches off the mono/Fluorocarbon leader. In other word, I always get the knot back but no leader. I haven't been using over 6lb test fireline lately so this may not happen with the bigger stuff.

I do love the way the 6 or less lb test Fireline casts on a light or ultra-light rod. You can dam near cast a Gnat. grin.gif Put on the smallest Kast-Master and look out, you may hit the other shore.

Boy, this sure has gotten complicated. I think I'll just stick with Fireline and take my chances. grin.gif

Good information Muddog. Certainly an interesting topic.

Thanks guys, time to buy some more line!

Maybe a few jigs and swivels while I'm at it.

Could always use another rod...