Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
52#FLATHEAD

Rapala expert needed

4 posts in this topic

I have started collecting the Rapala Pilkki. I see on Raps website that the Pilkki was introduced in 1965 & vertical jigging in 1972.

I have one Pilkki in the package that says 1972 on the back & it is smooth & sculpted like a fish w/ a chain & hook.

I have another one that is in a much smaller package w/ out a barcode & has instructions for both a Pilkki & a jigging lure. It is made w/ raised pimples all over it & is just barely shaped like a fish w/ a red blade & treble hook. There is not a date on this package.

Any idea of its age?

I just got another one that looks like a jiggin rap but came in a box that says "alkup erainen Rapala pilkki" on one side & says "original Rapala jigging" on the other & then says "jigging pilkki" & "jigging model tasapaino pilkki" on the ends of the box. It's metal & has Rapala in black paint on it's belly. Inside of the box it has a list of awards that have been won & the last one is 1966. I looked at the paper instructions that came w/ it the Normark address for Minnesota does have a zip code.

How can I find out how old this is?

When did they start the jigging Rap & using that name for it?

Is Pilkki just a name for jig? Or was named after the designer of the jig?

Pilkki means icejig in finnish & tasapainon pilkki means

vertical jig

Thanks smile.gif I wonder how I can find out the age of the different styles.

The last time I was at Gander I noticed a fairly thick book/magazine on collectable fishing lures. Maybe it's in there and will have more information on it?