Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
island guy

ford tranny

6 posts in this topic

My kids 92 Taurus is not shifting smoothly. I'm no mechanic and that's about the best I can explain it. No leaks. Fluid looks good.

It's a good running car so he hates to get rid of it. Are there any cheaper fixes with a tranny or when they start acting up is it pretty much a high end fix?

Thanks!

It could be just a sticky valve, Sea Foam makes a product as well as K W to loosen valves and clean ports in side the trany.

Be sure you are checking the level while the vehicle is running and in park.

Flush trans, put in a good additive and hope for the best. If car has high milage, Trans flush could further a failure, but it is worth doing because you could save trans verses furthering damage (and being broke down). Internal trans failure is never a quick fix. Again, trans shifting issues can go a long time before faliure occurs. Best off going to dealer ship and paying $50-$100 diag and see were you are at. There is not much external on those trans (I.E. solinoid pack, sensors) that can be replaced cheap. It could be a range switch or a veh. speed sensor. Hard to diag. over computer. What is fluid conition like? Pink or a lite brown. Any metal flakes in fluid sample off of dip stick?

my ex has a 92 taurus that wouldn't shift right. Then it quit completly. they pulled the pan and changed the filter and it worked fine.

A few questions for you, is the check engine light on? Does the trans slip, or shift into gear hard? Is the trans fluid full? Does the fluid smell burnt, or look dark in color? Should be red. Is there alot of miles on the car? A filter and flush may help, but most likely not.