Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
riverrat56

Starting Battery/Lights/Trolling Motor/Depth Finder/ Livewell?

riverrat56    0
riverrat56

Ok, a question on what would you guys do, I have 2 batteries in the back of my boat, both are combination deep cycle and cranking, so neighter is really a strong favorite for the starter. But what would you hook up to each on, everything but the trolling motor on one?

Lights, Livewell, and depthfind must go together as that is how the wiring is set up, but should the starter go with those or the trolling motor?

Surface Tension    262
Surface Tension

Add the tolling motor to the list and see if you get any interference on the sounder. I've only had one trolling motor out of half a dozen throw off interference.

If it does then see if you can get the sounder on the starting battery.

iffy    0
iffy

I'd hook the trolling motor to a battery by itself. Everything else to the other battery.

Surface Tension    262
Surface Tension

You really don't want anything that has a slow and continuous draw on a starting battery. It'll shorten the life of the battery in no time.

What size outboard do you have? Its not recommended to use a deep cycle for a starting battery but I've been doing it for years and I haven't noticed anything. Just something to consider when you have to replace the starting battery.

riverrat56    0
riverrat56

I've got a 40 hp outboard, right now I have everything on the starting battery except the trolling motor, I'll try that for now. The trolling motor battery is a deep cycle, I hadn't looked before my last post, was thinking of the old battery.

BobT    104
BobT

For years while I had my Lund Rebel with a 40hp Evinrude, I used one combination deep cycle/starting battery for all my electrical needs including: Outboard motor starter, stern mounted 36lb electric trolling motor, navigation lights, interior lights, bilge pump, livewell pump, and sonar.

My outboard did not have a functional generator, alternator, or other charging system. It was rare that my battery got too low to start the outboard but even when it did, it was so easy to start by hand I wasn't concerned. I could do it without getting out of my seat. When it did get too low to turn over the engine, there was still enough power to run the other electronics.

I never had any problems with electrical noise on my sonar either.

As already stated, the best option is to use a starting battery for the outboard and a deep cycle for the rest but were I in your situation I would dedicate one battery for the electric motor and the other for everything else. Lights, sonar, and livewell are not heavy power drains on the batteries. At best, you could put the livewell on the battery with the electric motor if you're concerned about being able to start the outboard.

Bob