• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Liars...

All fishermen are liars; it's an occupational disease with them like housemaid's knee or editor's ulcers. ~Beatrice Cook, Till Fish Do Us Part, 1949

We ask a simple question

And that is all we wish:

Are fishermen all liars?

Or do only liars fish?

~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Im a pretty honest person though I have exagerated. But Im a card player and a fisherman therefore I lie grin.gif

A person I know told me one time, when it comes to fishing, hunting or rememuising about your high scool sports days everyone is a liar except you and I, and I am not sure about you. wink.gif

I don't lie. Ruins credibility. Why lie? Be honest and you will gain the respect of your peers.

Simple, don't ask me where I caught them, and I won't have to lie to you.

I have never lied about any of the 36 inch walleyes I've caught or the the ten 55 inch muskys either. Everything I say is true, at least in my reality.

George W. Bush is an example of truth telling on which we all can base our value of honesty. I might have embellished that a tad.

I think the biggest liar’s I have run into is hunting dog owners. I have a couple of buddies that brag their dogs up like a filed trial champ‘s, but I would never again go hunting with them and there dog’s. Fishing is just like any other skill, ever one want’s to be the best and no one want’s to be last in line. For some, the “Froioud (sorry if I spelt wrong) theory” come into play. Inadequacy with their size. When this occurs, that person will lie about anything. ooo.gifsmirk.gifcrazy.gifsmirk.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

Shackbash, you are 100% correct! The "dog hunters" are the biggest liars around. smile.gif Their dogs are the best thing since sliced bread, until you hunt over them. Holy cow, if I could count the number of duck I had to retrieve because their great retriever could not find them I would would be out of my fingers and toes, your fingers and toes, and half the people in the states wink.gif But it is the one retrieve when I dont' really want to do it that makes me appreciate dogs, haha. But yeah, those great dogs many brag about, forget them. I have two dogs, great dogs, but they are worthless, at least I know it smile.gif

Also, I have found that whenever someone brags about an "x pound" fish, they are full of it. If they don't tell me the number of inches, I won't even think of believing them.

As my brother once told a guy who siad he had a trunk full of 8 pound walleyes, "You're selling tickets, and no way am I buying!!!" hehehehe.

Good topic. Funny responses smile.gif And my biggest honest walleye is 27 fat inches. Wish it was bigger.

I know you wont believe me but I caught a 2lb crappie this winter. Never caught one that big before. Wait a minute I have a picture to prove it.

Copyof2-2-07018.jpg

See I NEVER lie.

I hadn't realized how big you actually are! With that two pound crappie for a guage, that puts you way bigger than me, please don't get mad and beat me up when I tell you that I had one bigger get off at the top of the water, broke my 14 lb line!

On another note, that's a beauty! Get it mounted??

The only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another a liar! wink.gif

I have to defend the dogs here for a second. I had a "mutt" half Lab half Chessie. She had a crooked tail. Jumped up and down and was hyper her whole life. But when the hunt started she was something different then. First time I ever took her dove hunting in IL she brough back 97 of them that day. Only lost one bird but to make up for that she found birds for two hunters that were not in our group. I do not ever remember her not bring back the duck I sent her after... well there were a couple that dove way out in front of her that she could not find. She was not that obidient, I had to use the "rock trhowing" direction indicator for her, but by golly I sure do miss that Lil Black Dog! I know that in one year I could loose more ducks without her than I ever did in the 10 years hunting with her. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Duckslayer, I have to correct myself... it isn't all dogs, because I have hunted with great dogs, but they were usually the ones that the owners didn't brag about, the ones that maybe didn't listen so well, but always came back with birds. I mean the ones that the owners say are field champs and have papers and all that stuff, then they take off busting before the birds even make it in, or whatever.

Anyway, I like dogs, just think theowners brag them up too much often, and it is usually some pro trained dog that should stay in the truck smile.gif

And BTW , I just changed my biggest walleye to be a 12 pounder wink.gif errrr, maybe it was 17....

Ask me no questions, and i will tell you no lies. The longer your arms are, the better fisherman you are. ... paul

i dont know two many fishermen that arn't guilty of "rounding up to the next inch" from time to time, myself included, and the more beers in ya the more the size of some fish grow smirk.gif

Quote:

Duckslayer, I have to correct myself... it isn't all dogs, because I have hunted with great dogs, but they were usually the ones that the owners didn't brag about, the ones that maybe didn't listen so well, but always came back with birds. I mean the ones that the owners say are field champs and have papers and all that stuff, then they take off busting before the birds even make it in, or whatever.

Box, I know exactly what you mean. I have gone with the "well trained by a professional trainer" dog as well. Sure did not seem to do any better than mine ever did! You get all hyped up about hunting with one of the best and walla... not much different than hunting with my own dog. I have however had the pleasure of hunting with a buddy of mine that truly does have a champion field trial dog and I will tell ya that was a lot of fun!!! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

i have found an easy way to tell if a fisherman is exaggerating. no, not if his mouth is open, but if he shows you a hand measurement in a verticle fasion. as if he were measuring height and not length. cool.gif

Quote:

Simple, don't ask me where I caught them, and I won't have to lie to you.

Exactly. I don't lie about size or numbers but ask me for GPS coordinates and you might find yourself in the middle of a Wal Mart parking lot. grin.gif

It's like sitting in a meeting and someone saying, "Well, that's job security."

If my job security is based upon someone else being inadaquate, incompetent, an in general, a liar about about what they are paid to do, then you can expect my head to explode.

I'm always completely honest.

Just ask my wife, . . . Mmmorrrgaaannn Fairchild; ya that's da ticket !!

I'm with some of the others here. I don't exaggerate sizes or numbers. If anything I under estimate. But if someone is dumb enough to start asking too many questions about where, what, and how, I am guilty of throwing them the wrong bone....sending them in the wrong direction. smirk.gif

Know your liar, u-h-h-h fisherman, and you'll know whether to divide his catch total, fish's weight, etc., by 2 or 4 or 10!

I do lie, but in not the way you think. I don't like to tell people what I actually catch...I always catch smaller and less. Saves more for me smile.gif

I believe the further away from the boat you lose the fish, the bigger it is. Get a huge tug and lose the fish right away, the fisherman says "Wow, that was at least a 20 pounder!". Closer to the boat and lost, 10 pounds. To the boat and lost, 5 pounds. Caught, actually a 1 pound fish.

Listen to your fishing buddy, and you will agree.

• 2 weeks later...

I never lie about fishin....I was brought up to be responcible for my own actions, respect my elders, go to church, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you! I get sick and tired of all these liars! lying just to make themselves feel better. Yah sure you caught an 18 inch crappie in 6 inches of water, and on and on.................

O.K... That first sentence was a lie.....but everything else I said was the truth! grin.gif

Interesting thread. It made me think of a guy that we deer hunt with. If you ever ask him if he saw anything, his go to response was "Yea, a doe and two fawns" (Needless to say, you could sneak up on this guy while hunting in your squeakin snowpants walking through two inches of dry leaves) Did he lie? I would venture to say that it is very likely.

I think some people find comfort in lying in order to make them appear to be "great hunters / fisherman" to others. I don't let my secrets fly freely to that many people, but I am also secure enough that if I should happen to get skunked while fishing, or don't see anything while deer hunting I can say with dignity that it was a slow day. Even the best of em have bad days, so why lie to prove to others that you are competent.

CA

I do lie about fish, or at least become a bit evasive. It's when somebody is obviously trying to get me to do their fishing for them and they ask me a lot of pointed questions about where to fish. I'll give free advice to people I know and like, but not to a strange. I'll go so far as to tell what general part of the lake is working, and what depth is good. Beyond that, it's up to them.