• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What 2 Expect?

I was just wondering if some of you URL buffs could share

some info with me. I was wondering what I can expect for

Walleye/Crappie/Northern patterens for the week of May 21st.

I used to fish the lake as a kid some in the summer and I am planning a trip back for the time stated above. I used to spend several long weekends a summer in a pull type

1976 Winnabago at the Sunset lodge with the family. Thought it would be fun to go back to URL. Thanks to anyone

who shares some insite on baits, techniques, or depths. I know it is a ways off but getting the open water itch bad!!

THanks

Should be good if it warms up the ice melts and its not to windy. Only mother knows.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

All of those should be feeding along shore related structure in fairly shallow water. Just drift or slowly troll along and you'll catch a mixed bag that time of year.

Have fun!

That time of the year can be very productive. The pike will be resuming the feeding frenzy in the old haunts along the last breakline and weed points. The walleye will pack along the breaklines with the crappies staged just outside of the walleyes.

In general how many breaklines are on Red and what are the depths? I know it probably varies some.

The locals could correct me if I'm inaccurate, but most of Red has two breaklines. It varies a little on where you are on the lake and water levels, but my memory tells me its a little sharper break on the 3-5 foot break than the 7 to 10. These are vague generalizations of course. IMO the first break on the south shore is relatively abrupt, and the rest are more gradually sloped.

We caught walleyes with everyone else from 3 to 7 feet in early June. All our baits were as popular as the Schwann's Guy at Fat Camp. It didn't seem to matter

Quote:

In general how many breaklines are on Red and what are the depths? I know it probably varies some.

Pretty much it slowly drops from shoreline to 5.5'-6' (over a couple hundred yards) with a little step at 3-5' in places then it drops down to 7-8' at steeper rate. When I say steeper rate I mean a foot of drop over 50 yards. It does get sharper in spots but they are limited and do not differ as far as holding fish.

When looking at the new map of Red remember you are looking at a map that is over ten miles square, the close little depth lines are not so close in real life.

Depth has some degree to devolping a pattern for targeting fish but Red is so simple it is complicated. Key areas are water changes, baitfish pods, bird chasing and last few days wind conditions. Depth has little to do with the pattern of Upper Red fish unlike other lakes that 17.4 feet of water is the only place you catch fish, on red if the boat will float in it fish are in it.