• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Burntside ice out, when???

Great Outdoors and I will probably be setting up the Otter fish houses out there for opener on May 12th. cool.gif

July 26th at 4:40 pm is my guess

Justin

Hmmmmmmm, by about April 27th, maybe as early as the 24th. grin.gif

that sounds good ,the ice is soft just needs some warmer temps,wind and rain, I've always said the 26th april. it averages out close to that. thats not a scientificly proven fact however.

Quote:

July 26th at 4:40 pm is my guess

Justin

You sure it wont be earlier like say 3:35. I would have a better chance of getting to my hot spot before the bite starts. smirk.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Burntside ice will be gone on Friday the 27th, exactly like the "Old Guide" called it two weeks ago.Heh, heh, heh!!! cool.gif

smirk.gif

All right Guru, you've proven to me over the last few months that you are the local Wiseman!

I'll be seeing you to bait up for opener. I stopped in last Saturday but NOT to my amazement, tackle shops weren't open anywhere I saw. It seemed like a good time to take off for you guys.

I think we might try for numbers (walleyes) on Shag, but for a couple trophy sizers should I snoop around Bside? Otherwise we're thinking of that little long shot outside of town wink.gif. We'd like to get some eaters under our belts, but like most everyone else we'd like pick up a couple line stretchers for pictures. We don't keep a walleye over 23-24 inches and a pig can be replicated if theres a bare spot on the wall.

Wanderer,

So, Great Outdoors is the local "Wiseman" now???? Doesn't Jim have an over inflated ego as it is??? grin.gif As long as the "Fish Master" is living in town, Jim will always be 2nd best!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Justin- A.K.A. the "Fish Master" tongue.gif

Justin,

Well, I'm always impressed when someone can reliably predict ice out year after year blush.gif Even though its usually around the same time!

I'm easy I guess. grin.gif

Dazzle me with your brilliance some day the week of the 14th! I'll be up for the first week of fishing season and I'll bring my clubs. I golf worse than I fish! smirk.gif

Wanderer,

You will be in good company, as Justin's golf and fishing skills can both be described in one word, terrible!grin.gifgrin.gif You did see from a previous post that he frequents Subway, and word has it, always orders a fish sandwich. He tells the girls, "Only way I can get one of these, I'm not much of a fisherman" laugh.gif How true, how true!!!!

Now, Jimbo, if someone in their 80s (well, maybe you're not THAT old) lived along a lake their whole lives, they'd better be able to make a pretty close guess on ice-out, eh? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Although I think you're right about Justin. I've heard those same things. It's all the gossip around town that if you want to watch a triple-bogey or a skunking in the boat, Justin G is your man. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Dang, all this trash talk. I just don't know how these things get started. blush.gif

Steve,

Wherever you're getting those rumors about JustinG and his non existant golf and fishing skills, leads me to believe you have some fantastic news sources! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Well, Jim, I do have one or 20 good sources. But it won't matter much longer, because I'm done at the Tjay as of June 15. Moving on to different things. Then, someone else will have to keep his/her ear to the ground and listen to all the drivel that goes on around any small town and try to decide what's news and what's garbage. grin.gif

Jim, I'll be doing a number of things.

I'll be the part-time manuscripts editor for one of the local book publishers. I'll also be selling images and writing for four publications who have committed to buy my work long term. I'll continue to do all the shooting and guiding photo excursions I already do, but since I'll be working from my home office and setting my own hours, I can let the photography take over. When the light is right or I have a weekday client, I can let the photography dictate when I'm in the office instead of the other way around.

The excursions in particular are getting fairly widely known, and as well as several new clients already booked for the summer season, I've got returning clients, so that's building up.

I had to turn down several excursion clients over winter because they could only do weekdays and I could only do weekends. No more of that come June 15. grin.gif

If the Timberjay and I can agree on terms, I'll still design the two outdoors pages, also supplying my nature images and my weekly column, as a freelancer from the home office.

So, in a bit over a month, it'll be Lisa and Steve from our home offices up on top of Finn Hill. Hope we don't kill each other. Just kidding. We've wanted to make this happen for a few years, and Lisa's been working from home as a freelance graphic/book/advertising designer for over a year. grin.gif

Congratulations Catfish!

My wifes retirement will take effect while we are in Ely (first day of Blueberry Festival).

Finns.

On a side note (Quantum in me fuit), I thought the best is yet to come.

Finns: Congratulate your wife for me.

I think you're right that the best is yet to come. And you're the only one who so far has responded to that motto who seems to have an understanding of Latin. grin.gif

Translated from the Latin, "quantum in me fuit" is roughly "I did the best that I could." I also favor "illegitimi non carborundum," or "don't let the ba$tards grind you down." And finally, "vescere bracis meis" is the kind of thing a fellow might say to his employer when he's walking out the door for the last time, but I'll let you all translate that one. grin.gif

Steve - That sounds awesome. I'm sure its hard to walk away from the sure paycheck, but it sounds like you've got enough lined up to make it work and be doing what you really want to be doing. I didn't realize you were taking people on guided photo excursions. Great idea and I'll keep my eyes open for potential clients down here. Congrats!!

Sorry to highjack the thread - this news probably deserves it's own.

Hey Jim:

Yeah, you're right, I should have started a different thread. Sorry about that you Bside ice-out nuts. grin.gif

Jim, you can read about the excursions on my Web site. The more people you refer, the more business I get. grin.gifgrin.gif

And now, back to the icecapades. grin.gif

Wanderer,

Shagawa is a very good lake for eating size walleyes, and when fish are biting, as good as any lake in the state. But,

if you want a trophy walleye,(28-30+ inches) Burntside is definately your lake. Also, any big walleye caught there can be kept without guilt, since the smelt eat all the spawn and reproduction is 0 cool.gif

SMACK TALK!!!!!!

I will be the first to admit that I am not a great golfer by any means....Jim is just upset that he cannot escape the shadow of the "Fish Master"! Next winter Jim, It's toe to toe to see who gets the biggest lake trout!!!! It will be the competition of competitions- Young Vs Old, East Vs. West, Swede Vs. Finn for the ultimate bragging rights and settling once and for all who is king and who goes home with their tail between their legs. smirk.gif Well, what do you say there old fart??

Wanderer,

We had some severe ice damage this winter and 5 of our greens are shut down and have temporaries. So, If you would like to play the course when it's in prime time condition, you may have to wait until after June 10th or so. Let me know when you might be out there golfing so I can say hello!

Later guys,

Justin

Justin, Justin, Justin frown.gif

Fish Master, heh, heh, heh,-yeah, if that's what you want to call the "Rock Bass King" of Shagawa grin.gifgrin.gif

I accept your Trout challenge, if you have the courage to accept the biggest walleye challenge?? cool.gif That way you will have practiced going home with your tail between your legs, and won't get a cramp when you do it again in the winter! laugh.gif Off course, the contest will be held in the United States, no Canadian trout or walleyes allowed.

In the words of that famed philosopher, Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry), "Do you feel lucky, Punk"? tongue.gif

PS-Since we are now officially combatants, you are on your own on Burntside during the walleye hunt. You cannot be trusted in my boat after buying that GPS. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ooooh, this will be fun to watch. Full contact fishing! grin.gif

I accept your challenge, HOWEVER-

The Walleye duel deadline has to be Feb. 28, 2008. I honestly will probably not get a chance to fish open water season because of my work schedule, so I need Ice.

Honestly, If Burntside has such huge monsters in it what is wrong with Canadian fish? I put my time in to find them. I think you are chicken.

Why not make the duel a multi species duel-a-thon there tough guy??? Hmmm? Crappies??? Rainbows??? EelPouts??? Pick your poison.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Justin

P.S. Oh yeah....I do feel lucky- I'm charmed tongue.gif

Well, well, well cool.gif

Sounds like JustinG, aka "Mr. Chicken", is getting worried laugh.gif

Sorry, only Minnesota caught walleyes and trout in this contest. smirk.gif You put out the challenge, and I took you up on it. Now it sounds as though you're having after thoughts, the collar is getting a little bit tight & realized that you bit off more than you can chew. You probably won't sleep well, be unable to keep food down, develope hives and a nervous tick. Won't work, the contest is on grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

PS-The walleye contest is only from the opener until September 15th. I'd like to make it longer, but that's not possible. smirk.gif

You cannot fool the "Fish Master"!!!!

I know you tooo well-trying to tip the scales in your favor, as usual. You know the "Fish Master" is too busy in the summer to fish, and you are a big 'fraidy-cat that the Walleye Sensai will yank another monster from an undisclosed location during ice season that may weigh slightly more than it would during the summer because of spawn during winter months!!! shocked.gif I am on to your game. Just one thought comes to mind- CHICKEN!!! smirk.gif

Also, trying to tie the "Fish Master's" hands on the whole Canadian fishing thing is kinda wimpy. You can come up there fishing with me anytime you want to go- and I will show you what a real Laker is like! smile.gif All you need to do is get a passport this summer.

Well, even if the only chance I get to show you up is this winter is out on Burntside, that is ok-The "Fish Master" fears no one!!!! I will have to bring an X-ray machine with me so I can scan the trout you catch for nuts, bolts, sinkers, boat anchors in their stomach. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Justin cool.gif

It would appear to the trained eye,(mine) smile.gif that your post is an admission of defeat, even before the Walleye contest begins. I don't blame you, as you were destined to lose. frown.gif You'll get em next time, Kid! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

You still have a shot at the Burntside Laker contest! I may only fish one day this winter, just to give you a fighting chance. tongue.gif

And I missed all this to go kill a turkey........... tongue.gif

Justin, I'll stop by when I can even if I don't have the "other" sticks. Your fairways wouldn't like me anyway - oh, wait, the fairways are probably safe! crazy.gif

GO, we'll talk at the shop.

Steve, NICE LIFE! cool.gif Name change to "Lucky Dog" coming?

Ok dude,

Take Care for now and do not believe Mr. Great Outdoor's smack talk- he is old and full of hot air. All talk and no walk...He is scared! smirk.gif

See ya soon,

Justin

Wanderer,

Justin talks a good show, but when it comes to producing Walleyes, well, the local grocery store is where he normally fishes. grin.gif He doesn't dare stop in the shop anymore, since I called his bluff on the fishing contests. Rumor has it, he's in the nursing home with a shawl wrapped around him, and doesn't talk (which I find extremely hard to believe)!! smile.gifHe'd only quit talking, when he quits breathing grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif