Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bgreen82

water temps?

21 posts in this topic

havent been out yet this year. what are the avg. water temps on the metro lakes right now?

I was out on a few lakes the first week in April in the Faribault area. Water temps were 43 to 45. Id assume they are close to 38 now. With the warmer days and the sun at its warm angle id bet they are bout 40 to 42 right now. I'll be out fichin all day Sunday. Im hoping for 44 to 46 so I can land some crappys in the shallows.

Was out on Sunday. Medicine lake was 39. ,the north bay by French park was only 39.6 I though it might be warmer ,not.

Was out on Long Lake in New Brighton tonight, highest temp I found was 42 in the north bay/lagoon. Looks like we need a few more days of warm weather before the action will start to pick up again.

I was out on Martin Lake by Wyoming on Easter Sunday and the water temp was 34.5 degrees.

LM

orchard was between 42 and 46 degrees yesterday

Independence was around 37-39

WBL 47 on Sunday

Prior Lake between 43-45 at 10:30am

Dutch Lake in Mound was between 45-48 Sunday afternoon.

4/16 Medicine Lake was 47 on the main lake. 56 - 61 up in French Park. Lots of small bluegills in the park, thats it.

Low 50's this weekend on north side of Harriet, nothing showing up in the shallows though.

Orchard was 47-48 on Sunday, but no fish.

44 on Big Marine Sat

Bite was hot today on a west metro lake. I got the boat on the water around 6pm and fished till 8pm. Non-stop action towards the creek, marked 56degrees at the opening creek. Lots of little guys but fun. Managed a few 10inch'rs. All caught and released. Fished back to the breeze with a paddletail, did the trick casting into creek and slow reeling back. Anyone else hit any metro lakes with any luck?

while we are on the topic of water temps, what is a good thermometer for a shore angler that isnt real expensive?

Quote:

what is a good thermometer for a shore angler that isnt real expensive?

You can get a stainless steel one for $2-$4 at stores that sell equipment for backyard ponds or at a lot of pet stores. You can attach a string to it as so you don't lose it.

thats not one that reads temp right away is it?

It's just a regular mercury thermometer.

Quote:

while we are on the topic of water temps, what is a good thermometer for a shore angler that isnt real expensive?

Got one at Dicks in Maple Grove for around $6 tells water temp and depth. Has a place to hook it on your line at the top and a chart on the back of the pack for species of fish and at what temps they will be active at.

Quote:

It's just a regular mercury thermometer.

what ever you do dont drop that mercury thermometer and break it. They might close the lake down and show up in white suits and waste your tax money decontaminating all the fish and you while their at it.