• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Belle Plaine Cat League

Had a good night tonight. Was able to pop Northwoods Guy's flatty cherry and then some. Fish seemed scattered, and very skinny. However, they did seem hungry. Sounds like WWG still has that horseshoe.

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Our stats

DTro

22x11 Flat (same fish caught twice!)

NWG

38x21 Flat

25x14 Flat

20x10 Flat

NWG Booby entries

10x4 channel grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

20x10 Flat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papa Grump

• DTro

• Larry FlatCaster

• hanson

Thanks for the awesome night of fishing Darren and helping me catch not only the first Flatty of my life, but also my biggest fish ever!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I believe that is the most beautiful fish that swims!!

If I wasn't hooked before, I am definately hooked now!

You 'da man!

Thanks again!

Congrats dude, looks to me like you had a night to remember. We caught 5 flattie's last night with the biggest around 40 #'s.

Wow Tom! That's a hog!!

After catching the one I did last night and the fight he put up, I cannot even imagine what a 40+ must feel like!

Congrats Tom!

Hey I wanted to thank PapaGrump for a great night out on his pimped out RP. That boat rocks! Good company, he didn't mind having talkative me in the boat, and he wasn't nearly as stressed out with the 371 phone calls as I would have been. smile.gif

Was a slow night compared to some of the action we heard about both up and downstream, but I thought we had decent action. Boating 4 fish is a good night. It just happened to be a smorgasbord - 1 flathead, 1 channel, 1 sturgeon, and 1 gar.

Thanks for the good times, PG! We'll have to do it again, my boat or yours. I'm sure you have a hard time separating yourself from that rockin rig you've got!

Here's a pic of PG taunting his gar. Right when you find out it's a gar, you immediatly start to notice how much PG likes to catch this exotic creature. Kind words galore for gar. Yes, I believe it's a love-hate relationship. He loves to hate them smile.gif

gar_taunt.jpg

Also got a closeup of the gar for a better view of th teeth. Hooked him right through the toungue, caught on cut sucker.

gar_close.jpg

That is the greatest pic ever grin.gifgrin.gif

I think we need to start a fresh topic in the cat forum with that one grin.gif

We had a pretty good night last night. Anytime a guys catches his first flat, then a bigger one, then another bigger one, it's good night.

Here's Aaron's fishies along with a double we got:

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

and as long as we are throwing our partners under the bus, I can't leave out this one grin.gif

IMG_0426.jpg

Aaron, looks like you found a better guide to fish with. Great to see you caught your first and then bigger after that.

Problem is now, your hooked for life. I started last year and giot so hooked on these flatheads, my lake fishing has suffered.

It was a night for first flatheads, thanks to Dean and the Belle Plaine League. Finally, I connected. First with a 24 X 14 and a little later with a 34 X 22. If there was any disappointment, it was beacuse I was sure it was at least a 40 pounder, or maybe even a 50 pounder. They sure fight.

It was a very memorable night, not just for the fish caught, but also for some additional chores today. Those included shopping for a new cell phone and drying out my billfold and belt. My disposable camera bit the bullet, but Dean has the pics. Also, my car now smells like a true cat angler's car, but that's another story.

Thank you Dean for a great evening.

Jerry, it sounds like you guys had some fun. I suppose at the end of year party we'll hear the rest of those stories smile.gif

Congrats on your first and second flatties!! Let's see some pics, Dean!

Quote:

I chores today. Those included shopping for a new cell phone and drying out my billfold and belt. My disposable camera bit the bullet, but Dean has the pics. Also, my car now smells like a true cat angler's car, but that's another story.

Jerry,

Tell us a tale. Sounds like you either got so excited you wet yourself after your monster Flat.... Or....... you slipped and fell in in all the exitement... Or...... You dove in after the fish to make sure he didnt get away.

I can't wait to hear the details mate.

Congrats on the fish. Sorry to hear bout the electronix.

thanks

LFC

I thought I'd save my tale to the post league party, but perhaps my experience can save someone else. Experience is the best teacher, but usually it is better to learn from the experiences of others.

As we launched the boat we attached the rope to a cleat. I'll never do that again -- a square knot from now on. The boat floated out a few feet from shore and the rope slipped off the cleat. Well, it was only a few feet, and it seemed like the best policy was to get out to the boat quick before it got into the current. The first step was up to my knees, and the second was over my head.

Fortunately, I had lots of extra clothes including coveralls. So I just had to change into dry clothes, and we were good to go.

On the way home it dawned on me that the angle from the rope to the cleat must have been too high, and that's why the rope slipped off. If you use a cleat for the launching rope, make sure you keep the rope at a low angle.

What I did not realize on the way home was that I had left a small canister on my line that was filled with chopped up creek chub parts. That ripened in my car all day Saturday and left an odor similar to stink bait.

I did get a new phone for my wife, and she likes the new one much more than the old one. It even looks like the old phone may work as it is taking a charge. So, I might use it as a prepaid phone. Everything seems to work out in the end, maybe I should get a new car.

Here was my big (and only)flat for the night...at 41.5" by 25"

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

And Jim's big fish that I can't remember the measurements on right now.....A nice flat and a nice channel.

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

Thanks for a great time Jim and I am sorry that the action kept you awake all night.

Well it took some prodding, but I got all the results in tonight( come on guys we can do better)

WWG comes through with the winning flatty with 67 pts

North Woods Guy in 2nd with a nice 59 pointer

Channels were few and far in between but some nice ones came in with LFC winning with 47 points closely followed by Farmer Jim with a 45 point effort. Close to 20 flats caught last Friday with reports from fellow FM'ers of numerous flats caught over the weekend. Opie( Dean) reported a bunch of flats and few channels caught Sunday afternoon in 5 hrs of fishing including a 33"channel. Too bad it wasn't Friday. smirk.gif

Anyway here is the top 5 as of now:

Flats:WWG 106 points

Peder 103

Kyle B 96

Farmer Jim 92

Aanderud 83

Channels:

Papa Grump: 74

NWG 52

LFC 47

farmer Jim 45

Opie 44

Booby prize:tie between PG and NWG with 30 point flats

and NWG coming through with a nice 14 point channel laugh.gif. That will be tough to beat!

I thought NWG said his first flatty ever was Friday. Did he register one on 6/1 for the other 44 pts (he got 59 this week)?

thanks for the update Grump.....

much appreciated..... 4 more outings for us to recoupe our entry fees.... and then some.........

Quote:

thought NWG said his first flatty ever was Friday. Did he register one on 6/1 for the other 44 pts (he got 59 this week)?

Good catch there B! I have the standings correct, just the wrong name went through the fingertips. ( Sorry about that Peder). Standings have been corrected above.

• 4 weeks later...

She's going to be a REALLY interesting night tonight!! wink.gif

I'm predicting a Hanson sweep! Confidence is high! Repeat... Confidence is high! grin.gif

Quote:

She's going to be a REALLY interesting night tonight!!
wink.gif

I'm predicting a Hanson sweep! Confidence is high! Repeat... Confidence is high!
grin.gif

Yea YEAHHHH>>>>> you shot your wad last night Mate and you won't have DTRO in the boat with you to help you pick your spots.shocked.gif ITs a good thing Fireman and I will be on the river at 1700 I know your lucky spot and its schedueled to be fished. lol

Schmack talk got to love it.

Good luck mates. I'm sure there will nice fish caught this evening

Quote:

ITs a good thing Fireman and I will be on the river at 1700 I know your lucky spot and its schedueled to be fished.

1700?? Thats 2 hours too early man! Better keep your lines out of the water 'cause I'd hate to see you stick an early one that doesn't count! blush.gif

Quote:

Quote:

ITs a good thing Fireman and I will be on the river at 1700 I know your lucky spot and its schedueled to be fished.

1700?? Thats 2 hours too early man! Better keep your lines out of the water 'cause I'd hate to see you stick an early one that doesn't count! blush.gif

Oh I know the rules.... acutally it will probably be closer to 1800. My point being is that we will have plenty of time to beat the rush to the hot spot.... LOL

My boat is turning into a "shuttle service" grin.gif

Look at this fatty!

42x28 and 37lbs

IMG_0530.jpg

Darren you have a knack for getting your partners on nice fish, and so does John. Tonight I got my personal best flathead at 39 X 23. What was amazing is that John had on a really nice fish at the same time. Both of our rods bent double was a rush. Unfortunately, John's got into the rocks and that was that. He did outfish me 3 to 1.

Thanks John. I don't expect to ever be on a double with such large fish again. It sure was fun.

Wow, I would bet that Tom and Jerry got the nuts last night then for flatheads. Nice job, fellas!