• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm thinking of fishing Minnewaska on the Saturday of opening weekend. I have never fished this lake before. Any tips anybody can throw out would be appreciated. Not looking for specific spots but general tendencies like type of of bait (fathead, shiner, leech), presentation (jig or rig, etc.) and depth of water to try. Any luck pulling raps?

Main Minnewaska tip: Always have a smaller back-up lake ready as a go-to for "when" it gets windy. That one can be rough in a good wind. ....It's usually good fishing otherwise.

Hookmaster,

Minnewaska for opener looks to be an excellent choice this year. I anticipate walleye fishing to be really good provided the weather cooperates the week leading into the opener. The other individual is right about the wind because it can get nasty, but the wind really drives the bite on this lake. If you have a big boat and particularly a big tiller so that you can fish the wind (shallow) you stand to experience some tremendous fishing. However, don't take any chances or risk your safety. I run a big tiller so I can fish most conditions when others can't. The previous post about having a back up plan is good advice should unfavorable conditions prevail. Water temps will play a major factor and since the lake does have shiners, whether or not they are running shallow or all still deep due to cool water temps will really dictate where the fish are early. Look shallow first and don't be afraid to pitch some jigs using plastic as well as minnows. If you're familiar with running boards....well, you'll figure it out. Good luck and welcome to Minnewaska!

I know of a lake nearby that was hot for 16-19 inch eyes all last summer grin.gif

Thanks for the info so far. I have a 1700 Angler SS with a 100 hp and an 80# 60-inch bowmount. The boat can take more water than I feel comfortable fishing in. Keep the info coming.

Corey, what do you consider shallow and deep on this lake? I do have some inline boards. What do you usually pull with them?

ill be at the little lake too probably usually jun 1 is a good time to start on waska for any consistensy id stick to lakes 15 ft of water or current/river areas waskas a tough opener bite unless we gets some really decent weather and even then its mostly a night time afair in the spring usually from shore is best.

I spent a weekend here last summer and had a great time, pulled a couple of 5+ lb largemouth out of the reeds. Also caught a big one trolling about 18ft but didn't get it in the boat. Didn't catch any pike though, how is the pike fishing? Can't wait, it seems like forever since I was out on the water.

What happens with the weather (temps) between now and the opener will ultimately dictate how good the bite will be on Minnewaska, as well as the weather the week leading up to opening. I will say, however, based on the fact that Minnewaska was ice-free on April 1 and the fact that we'll have had about 10 nice, warm days by the time this weekend rolls around, Minnewaska will be leaps and bounds ahead of nearly every other lake in the state in terms of water temps and growth of greenery by the time the opener rolls around. In terms of its size (over 7,000 + acres), it will be a good 2 weeks ahead of the lakes in the Alexandria, Otter Tail and Detroit Lakes areas which are still completely ice-covered for the most part. Official ice-out on the Rainy River at Baudette was today, the third latest date since records were kept beginning in 1938. Having a backup plan in case the winds blows hard, like others have suggested is good advice, however, if the weather cooperates and water temps are near 55, Minnewaska will go big time over the opener. Surface water temps this past weekend were 40 early in the morning and as high as 43-44 by mid-afternoon. Granted, that's surface temps, but if those temps continue to climb and the weather is stable heading into the opener, Minnewaska is prime for a big bite. The fish are there, and I anticipate Minnewaska to be ahead of schedule by about 10 days from previous years if the water temps are in the lower to mid-50's. If weather cooperates I predict one of the best openers in many years and for the lake to produce tremendous, consistent fishing from May 20 throughout June.

• 3 weeks later...

Four day work week and I can't wait to get the boat on the water! Thanks for the information Corey.

If you're talking about the same "Lake" I think you are I heard the DNR is putting a gate up to keep the boats out.

FI

tell me the lake name first and I'll tell ya if you are right grin.gif

I'm talking about Minnewaska! I have rented a cabin on the lake so I hope they aren't blocking access. Why would the DNR do that?

I just spoke with the DNR office in Glenwood and they said that Minnewaska will NOT be gated this weekend.

All I know is the fish don't taste very good out of there............not like a walleye should anyways.

FI

Corey: Remember it opened up on 1 April, but then recapped during that week long cold spell. The crappie bite has been slower this year on the Glenwood end. If this week stays as warm as they forecasted we should have a good opener. We just need the water temps to creep up a little higher.

Quote:

All I know is the fish don't taste very good out of there............not like a walleye should anyways.

FI

I believe you are talking about a lake south of Glenwood that you have to use a DNR road to get to it right? If it is then make sure you don't go down there with nothing bigger then a 14' jon boat and a small motor. I bow hunted there last fall and I sat at the DNR parking lot laughing at some of the people trying to pull their fishing rigs out. It was a soup hole and I would expect it to be the same this weekend.

Lol if it's the same lake I'm thinking about ,it was a souphole already this winter!! grin.gif

Lake Minnewaska is 7100 acres and has 20 miles of shoreline. I don't think we are talking about the same lake....

Good luck to everyone this opener wherever you are fishing. I look for Minnewaska to be good if the weather holds. A 15 mph wind and overcast skies could be the ticket to some good fishing. As stated earlier, look shallow on the wind blown side (particularly if the same wind has been blowing in for several days). Look for a jig and minnow (shiner, fathead) to work along with plastics on a jig. Don't overlook pitching some shallow running cranks as well. I don't have any more specific info regarding water temp and state of the shiner run since I've been busy preparng for a tournament on Oahe. Temps were 61 a week ago on Big Stone on the south end and 63 on the north end. I suspect Minnewaska is somewhere in the mid 50's (plus) so it may not hurt to have some leeches in the boat. Look for new shallow weed growth next to or along structure and rock, and you should find some fish, particularly if you're near deeper water. Planer boards run shallow along hard bottoms could also produce if there's some wind. If you can't find them shallow, look deeper along the weed breaks and/or structure in 8-16 ft. If there's wind, don't be afraid to fish shallow right at mid-day. The next 4-6 weeks should be prime on Minnewaska before transitioning to a summer bite, which took off in mid-July pretty good through fall. Please consider releasing all walleyes under 15-inches on Minnewaska. Have a safe and enjoyable opener. Tightlines.

Good luck to you too Corey! Thanks for the tips.

The Steenerson Lake WPA access is now gated and locked. Good fishin.

Why did they Gate it to begin with? confused.gif. Not that it matters to me cuz I dont have a boat..lol

What does Steenerson Lake WPA being gated and closed have to do with the opening on Minnewaska this weekend? I'm more than a little confused....

ok Petey here ya go.. Steenerson was a hot little lake last yr for fishing and I'm, thinking a few people have it as a plan B lake if waska doesnt pan out cuz its so close.. but now noone can get in there anyway so people may need a plan C..lol grin.gif

Hey thanks for the clarification! When I did a search on that lake it pointed me to a lake in northern MN and I coudn't figure out what the heck was going on. It looks like it will be very good weather for fishing this weekend in the Alexandria area.

that little lake everyone talks about will have at least 100 boats on it this year i personally know of many people opening their including myself, but if its too bad i think ill see if the lake they raped down the road to hancock has any fish left in it still smile.gif

even though its been an unusually warm spring i would stear clear of this lake for consistency till like jun 1 not a good opener choice at all, but maybe a particularly good spring to give her a whirl, i wish ya the best of luck with the east wind coming in though river fishing should offer more stable fishing over the weekend, sounds like more east wind and rain frown.gif

Eye lemme know how ya do this weekend Im curious to know if theres even a fish left in the lake by Hancock!! Been fishin there a few times with not as much as a nibble even from a perch confused.gif

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you]