Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob/Mn

Head cement

3 posts in this topic

How does the water base head cement hold up under hard use? I have used the solvent base cement in the past with good luck. The only thing I don't care for is the smell and loss due to evaporation.

I've used water based head cement for years. The brand name is Angler's Corner. I think it works great. I think it soaks into the thread wraps a little better than solvent cements, which seem to set on top the thread a little more. Or not - I haven't done the research as they say. I do know that I've never had any problem with it rewetting or causing any problems with durability. And you're right - it doesn't smell the way solven cements do.

I use the Loon Hard Head head cement. It is a water-based, polyurethane formula that is odorless. From time to time it will thicken due to the low humidity during the winter when I am tying a lot; I add just a few drops of water to thin it out and it's as good as new.

I've been able to build up nice heads with this cement. There is a noticeable difference in fumes when I use Hard as Nails or Softex; almost overpowering after tying with the Loon stuff.

I've never had any issues with the heads getting soft on me or disintegrating over time with use. If anything, the only reason I might need to re-cement the heads of my flies is because pike teeth can be hard on a fly after a few fish are caught on it.

I agree with turiprap, as it appears that the water-based cements appear to penetrate the threads better. I've tried most of the different brand of cement out there, and will only buy Loon products. I've been very happy with how their products have performed, plus all of their products are environmentally friendly. Theirs is a business model that I can stand behind.