Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Ebiz

What Rod/Reels To Buy

Ebiz

I know this question has been asked in different forms already but here's my situation. Currently I have been fishing with low end rod and reel combos that leave much to be desired - finally figured that if I'm going to spend 4-5 days a week fishing I should probably have a couple of halfway decent rods.

I have $200 in Gander Moutain gift cards that constitutes my fishing rod budget for 2007. Primarily fish for walleyes and crappies on local lakes/rivers - 90% of the time jigging and live bait rigging. I know I probably don't have enough to get two really good rod/reel set-ups based on the recommendations in other threads. What would you guys recommend as a good middle of the road choice to get the most bang for my buck? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

YUM

If your looking to get two rods you should look at Gander's guide series 'pro selects' they run 60 dollars are im8 graphite and come with a full warrenty, i have a few and are very solid rods. With 80 bucks remaining you should be able to find two decent reels with a little searching.

good luck smile.gif

Ralph Wiggum

Check out the Pflueger President series of reels. Great bang for the buck.

youngie22

I would reccomend 2 Shimano sedonas for reels, and two guide series rods, look for IM7 or IM8 graphite. If you want to take another small step... Look @ a sahara, or symetre made by shimano, and for more rods Fenwick makes an Eagle gt and HMX, St. criox has come out w/ a new triumph line that is reasonable. I would look for a good warranty on the rods that will exchange for breaks. Have fun! You won't be disappointed.

CrappieAttitude

Since you have a Gander gard, definately check out the guide series stuff. I have a couple guide series ice fishing rods that I really like. They put together pretty decent combos. I believe that the guide series reels are made by Phlueger. Check them out, you will be presently surprised on what you can get. The nice thing about quide series stuff is the warrenty you get with it as well. I have returned ice rods that I broke and they took a new one off the shelf and I was back in business, no questions asked. You don't get that everywhere you look.

CA

nofishfisherman

I was just going to recommend the Shimano Sedona as well. I also have the Shimano Slade which is a step down from the Sedone. I thought the Slade was a solid reel for the money ($30-40) and the Sedona is awesome for the price ($50-60).

I have both these reels matched up with a 6'6" medium action rod, nothing fancy no big name rod or anything and they both have been awesome for me, and i mainly jig and live bait rig as well, with the occasional casting or spoons or rapalas.

stellarfisher

If you are looking at any of the Pflueger President Reels which are $60, you should definetly consider the Gander Guide Series Tournament Reels, they are made by Pflueger for Gander Mountain and cost only $40. The only difference is a little bit in color scheme and the Pflueger has a wooden handle whereas the Guide Series has a polymer handle. I would also recommend the Guide Series Pro Select Rods, they are IM8 graphite and are built with quality construction. And you cant beat the Gander Warranty if anything happens (and I mean anything) bring it to Gander and they will replace the rod for free. Hope this helps!!!

irishjigs

Ok, I'm confused by reading this post. Went to the Gander in Eden Prairie last weekend set to buy another one or two IM8 Gander Series rods for slip float fishing. The worker told me they no longer guarantee their rods...so I got a Fenwick that at least has a warranty. Did this worker know what he was talking about? I'm kind of doubting it. confused.gif Can someone who works at Gander or at least knows more info comment on this?

hoggs222

I was told by somebody at Gander that the Guide Series reels are Pleuger reels with the gander name on them. So, they'd be a pretty decent reel. I've got the ultralight reel from gander and I really like it so far.

stellarfisher

I work at the Blaine Gander Mountain and as far as I know Gander will still replace any broken rod. The warranty is actually for 2 years, but I have never turned anyone away.

Bob Horn

Daiwa SS1300 with a Shimano Crucial rod. Might run you over your budget a couple of bucks but you will be very happy. Best drag and very sensitive rod.

TurnUpTheFishing

If you want to get one really nice combo for crappies and livebait walleye fishing a 7' ML action rod should pull double duty nicely. Id look into the GuideSeries tournament rod ($80) or the ultimate titanium ($120). I would match it with a either a Shimano Symetre 1500 or 2500 ($80).

If you want two setups the Pro Select ($60) or new this year the Select (essentially the same as the Pro Select but with regular fuji guides, it will run $50). For reels on them I would look into either the Guide series Tournaments or Shimano Sedonas.

Corey Bechtold

Tell Pat I said hello. laugh.gif

Later,

Corey Bechtold

FL SNIPER

I agree totally....Guide Series Medium Action One Piece 6' 6" IM8 (go IM8 over IM7) Rods and Shimano Spinning Reels...best bang for the buck!!!

Dan Brelje

Fenwick makes some nice lower end rods. The Eagle Gt and the new Ventures will run from $50-70. Also, Abu Garcia's Cardinal is a really good rod for the money. Abu Garcia stuff is very durable as well. These reels can run from $35-60. Just my $.02

Ebiz

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like I need to get over there start looking at some of these options. Few other questions for any one who has some input:

- What is the difference between IM7 & IM8?

- Can you determine the quality of the different Shimano equipment strictly by price? They seem to have everything from entry level on up to really expensive stuff.

FL SNIPER

I believe the difference in IM7 & IM8 is the quality of the graphite used in the rod. IMO the IM8 is more sensitive and worth the extra $10 or $15 per rod.

I am no expert on all shimano products but I've always thought I've got more than I paid for with their reels. The cheaper reels are very good for the price...so smooth...and the more expensive reels I've purchased are worth it too. You can't go wrong. If you are looking to get two rod setups with your $200 Gander Giftcard...two IM8 rods with lower priced shimano reels will be tough to beat. If you are looking to get just one rod and reel combo at that price range there are quite a few more options. I've been fishing for 25 years and do it quite frequently...but its just my opion. 10 other people may have 10 other opinions. Have fun shopping!

Dano_the_jigasaurus

I have a plethora of rods and for price you really can't beat the gander series rods. Especially their upper end stuff: Pro Select, Ultimate and Tournament series. I think are the upper end rods. Gander also has great customer service when it comes to defective products.

Just some info, Gander's rods are on St.Croix Blanks, have fuji components, which is all the same as a St. Croix, the only thing different is handles and it doesn't have the St. Croix name on it.

As far as reels go you can't really beat shimano. the Sedona is a great reel and is always reliable. The Gander reels are good too, so it may be worth your time to finaggle and see if you can get a combo deal. Gander rod with either a shimano reel or gander reel.

hope this helps

Dan

Ebiz

Good to know, I wasn't aware that the Gander rods were built on St. Croix blanks. For jigging/rigging do you guys prefer medium light over medium rods or is the fast/extra fast actiom more important?

TurnUpTheFishing

For the most part when it comes to Shimano reels you get what you pay for. In my opinion their are some instances when that is not the case though. If you look at the 750 sahara ($60) and the 750 symetre ($80). I dont think its worth the extra $20 to bump up to the symetre they put the same features on both reels the only difference is one ball bearing. That said when comparing any other size sahara to the similiar in the symetre it would be worth the extra $20 as the symetre will have many more features.

My opinion is a medium action rod will be more versitale. If its strictly for livebait rigging I would go with a ML. But you will be fishing with it so pick what you like, both M and ML would work.

SWMuskeye

By far the most responsive reel I have used is the Zebco 202. It should be your perfect reel from shiners to sharks.

But seriously, I second what others have said about the Sedona, I really think its the best reel for the money out there. I have a sahara also, and I can't tell any difference between the two.

I also think the rapala rods are a heckuva rod for the price. If you want to spend a little more and still get quality, go for a Shimano rod too.

With the $200 you could go less quality and 2 sedona/rapala combos, or get one awesome combo by bumping up the rod to a Fenwick HMX or equivalent St. Croix. Good luck.