• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Microchips

Harmonica Bear

Anybody have thoughts on microchipping your dogs. I am having it done today regardless, but just wondering if I am wasting my money. If this has been discussed once already please give me the link. I tried to do a search, but nothing came up.

It's been used before to reunite dogs with their owners - including a recent case that made national news. I think the owners lost the dog 2-4 years ago and the dog was in Montana and the owners lived in Kansas or something like that. A scan of the dog and a couple phone calls was all it took to reunite the dog & owner.

I think there are at least a couple different manufacturers. I'd try to find more info on that and then do some research on the best or most popular one for your area.

There are a couple of different microchip brands. Most work along the 125 mhz signal. Avid and Home Again are two of the bigger ones. If you ever want to bring you dog internationally for field trials, you typically have to get a chip that is 134 mhz which is the international standard.

I personally think that getting the chip is a good idea, especially if you plan on having the dog out in the field alot, and far from home. My little guy is getting one put in next month when he gets snipped. For me it is just an extra piece of mind that heaven forbid I were to lose him, my daughter would be lost without her buddy. My Vet recommends the home again and for the price seems well worth it for the life (hopefully long) of your friends and companions. grin.gif

Just go to the Humane Society shelter the 4th week of phesant season in Sioux Falls and see for yourself. There are a ton of really nice hunting dogs there that were lost in the field.

It's not a lot of money and if you take your dog in the field it's a good idea.

What is the price for the chip? I'll be getting a pup later this summer and have been going back and forth on this issue. I never thought about the lost dog in SD or ND senario.

Don't quote me, but I'm thinking it was ballpark around 40 dollars for the chip and 15 bucks for the registration.

That's a ballpark. I had my dogs chip put in 2 years ago and I have a hard time remembering things that happened yesterday.

Quote:

I have a hard time remembering things that happened yesterday.

I little 2 shot ethanol lunch???? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif hehehe

Good Luck!

Ken

I got the Home Again chip last week. $34 for the chip and $17 to register. I feel good about it and glad I did it just for the piece of mind if nothing else.

Do you have to pay a fee if you use it to locate your dog, or was this included in purchase price of chip and install?

You can go to their website to get more info. But in a nustshell. There is the basic service (one time $17) that will notify you if your pet turns up at a shelter or vet. You need to keep your contact info and your noted vet info current. There is also an advanced service (yearly fee)that will notify all shelters and vets if your dog goes missing etc. Kind of the doggy version of an amber alert.

Also - I believe many vets also like the chips because they will scan the dogs - and especially if you have two similar dogs, it virtually eliminates dog mix up or ownership issues.

Quote:

I little 2 shot ethanol lunch???? hehehe

3, Mix it with lemonade and YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

Thanks for the info. That's a good peace of mind for a little amount of money...I'll probably do if it's that cheap

Not sure about CERF but if you want an OFA number to show up with the AKC (future pedigree, stud book), you need either microchip or tattoo. This requirement is not that old so that is why the older dogs still have the info listed.