• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vikes Draft....what will they do???

Coach1310

Just curious as to what you think the Vikes should do in the draft? I hope we can swing the deal with NE that I heard rumored where they get our No. 7 pick and we get their 2 first rounders and a 5th rounder. I think that is what I heard... What do you think????

I think they will mess it up! And I also think they need to address the wr position, whether we trade our #1 pick for a known good reciever, or find a good one in the draft, they need to do something!

I'm betting on the trade down thing. Extra picks and still get a good wr. Trade down to the Bills spot and pick up Meachem or Jarrett plus pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. We also need to adress the O-line(Blalock) in the second. There are a lot of good recievers we can pick up in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round.

What position do you guys think is the #1 priority in this draft?? I still think they need a QB, but they should have picked one up in free agency...one that has had a year or more under their belt (no, not 15 yrs!). WR is another position that needs attention but koonie is probably right about waiting a bit to get one.

Every Mock I've seen shows Peterson or Landry and not much talk about trading. Personally I'd like to see more lower early round picks than one used on somebody who might not be all that. We need a lot of help in a lot of positions more than we need one supposed superstar...

All the mock drafts that I have seen have them taking Quinn at number 7. Although the latest one that I saw had Adrian Peterson dropping to the vikes at number 7. Viking Update said that if that happens you will see the best talent at running back since Chuck Foreman.

Where are you seeing these mocks? I've not seen one where Quinn was around past about pick #3...

The NFL's web site, the viking update web site, and pro football talk web site. You aren't allowed to post web sites on here but if you type in the ones that I just listed by not puuting any spaces between the words, then typing a period and putting com after it you will get there.

Everything i've heard is that either Peterson or Quinn should be sitting there at #7. I wouldnt mind seeing Peterson but the problem is the two issues we've all been waiting too be addressed is outside pass rusher and wide reciever. So where do these get addressed?? You cant count on 2nd and 3rd round picks too plug these holes. It might happen and that would be great but you cant cound on it.

It almost looks like too me that they are almost forgoing this season and writing it off. I dont know how else too describe the non-activity in freeagency. They have $$ and wont spend it. Are they going too spend the least amount of $$ they can and go into next season and go hog wild on the market? If thats the case than trade out of #7 and get some more draft picks in here.

They should trade Chilly to the Bears so the Vikes can win the division title. I hope Chilly comes up with something special because I don't like what he's done so far.

Their plan is to keep the core guys and build through the draft. Same model as the Pats. I think we'll horde draft picks the next couple of years and try to draft as much talent as possible.

As for not spending much on free agents, if you look at this years crop there wasn't much to choose from. Plus the salary cap got raised so everybody seemed to have enough cap space to "bid" on the free agents. That is why you saw so many mediocre players get huge contracts. It's ridiculous what some teams payed average players. Examples of this Leonard Davis, Kevin Curtis, and Drew Bennett. None of these players are stars yet they got massive contracts.

Most good teams don't build through free agency they build through the draft. It's like doing a puzzle-keep adding pieces and when it all comes together you'll see the Vikings in the Super Bowl. In 2010. It'll be worth the wait. smile.gif

Look at the Vikes first round picks from the last 10 years and tell me you want them to pick another defensive end in the first round. It's almost embarrassing. I'm really hoping the get a shot at Adrian Peterson--he would be a game changer for the Vikes. With a young QB they need all the help at moving the chains and keeping their defense off the field for a change. It would be a huge upgrade in what they would be able to do offensively. Also, if the Vikes can't get Calvin Johnson (and they wont) they have no business drafting a WR at the 7 spot. The WR field in this years draft is strong and there will be a very talented player for them to take in the 2nd round. Most of the good up and comming WR's in this league were also taken in the later rounds of the draft as well. In my opinion Adrian Peterson is the key to the whole draft for the Vikes.

Quote:

In my opinion Adrian Peterson is the key to the whole draft for the Vikes.

Amen Brother....I couldn't agree with you more.

I completely agree as well, he is the whole key, and I am split between drafting him, or trading out of that spot to be able to draft a wide receiver in the first, and then second or third, while still being able to get a O-lineman and DE in the first day...AD (Adrian's nickname is AD for "all day") at pick #7 or trade with Buffalo for their #12 overall pick and their second rounder (#43) that way we can get Meachem, Bowe or Jarrett at #12, the highest rated OL for us in the 2nd with #41, and then Steve Smith, Jason Hill, Craig Davis, or Anthony Gonzalez at #43...either option seems great, giving TJ a ton of offensive weapons for next year and a whole new outlook for our offense...

LOL, Tim I just don't think Adrian is going to Cleveland...the pick will be Russell (most likely) or Quinn

The issue is this if the front office picks then it will be Quinn or Russel but if it's left to the coaching staff it will be Peterson. Will have to see how it shakes out on draft day but I am praying for Peterson...

The suits cut the checks and they almost always have more say in who they cut them to. Sorry Browns fans---AP will be a Viking on the 28th.

• 2 weeks later...

1st round pick: They should trade every pick for a new coach. One with talent, communication skills, respect and the willingness to turn over play-calling abilities. Not sure what the highlight film would look like, but I'm guessing it would look similar to those of Bill Walsh and Tom Landry.

I like the theory that says that in the top rounds, you pick the best guy availible. And if Adrian Peterson is still their at #7 and most think that he will be.... I think you have to take him.

If they don't trade up and get Calvin Johnson, draft Quinn or AP I could care less.

Anybody in a position to draft them 3 guys needs them as badly as we do . Why would they trade the pick ? And at what price ? As much as I would love to see C. Johnson in the Purple if it takes a H. Walker like trade - we can't do it .

Quote:

If they don't trade up and get Calvin Johnson, draft Quinn or AP I could care less.

Ted Ginn wouldnt be a bad pick either. The kids got alot of potential if he can stay healthy, we need some offense confused.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Ted Ginn wouldnt be a bad pick either. The kids got alot of potential if he can stay healthy, we need some offense confused.gif

Ted Ginn would be a good pick at about 15 to 20, but not with the 7th pick. Trade up to the 2nd pick. give our 7th pick, one of our many safeties, and another pick, possibly our first pick next year. But that will probably be the first pick of the 2008 draft.

The Lions are begging to trade down. Probably just not with us being we are in the same division.

Here is my prediction:

The vikes trade down to the 14th-17th pick and obtain an additional 2nd rounder.

THEN, with the 14th pick, they take a defensive tackle that they think would make a defensive end. Of course, he is projected to be a 3rd rounder at best. Then with the first of their 2nd rounders, they take an offensive tackle from Southwester Louisiana A&M Tech School who they believe projects better than Tony Gonzalez as a TE. With their 2nd 2nd rounder, they take a LB who was a eagle scout, but didn't actually start for his collegiate team. In the third round, they take a punter. In the fourth round, they take another defensive tackle who once pulled a lady from a burning building. In the 5th round, they take a defensive tackle who was the best player on the board and whom they had rated as the 13th best player in the draft. In the 6th round, they take a defensive tackle whom they believe can make the transition to CB because he made the National Honor Society in high school. In the 7th round, they take another punter to provide competition at that position (competition is good, ya know). Take it to the bank.

After the draft, they will proclaim they got everyone they wanted and feel that they met all their needs as well. WR? Nah, they have a high jumper.

Those were all of my predictions exactly, except I picked them to trade up to the #3 over all pick to take a punter!